Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cost of Living

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

ash t
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:53 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Cost of Living Reply with quote

Hi.

I have been looking to get my own house with my girlfriend. The thing is, im not too sure of what other costs there are apart from the usual monthly payments towards a mortgage, and bills.

What other things do I need to think about?

Theres Mortgage, Insurance, Council Tax and Utility bills. Anything else I should think about?

Cheers

Ash

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 16:32 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to make a complete budget sheet.

Don't just include the obvious - Mortgage, income insurance, buildings and contents insurance (this will vary depending on your house and area), Utility bills, council tax.

What I will certainly suggest is that you get yourself down to the local housing office or at least call them. You and your girlfriend will certainly qualify as a "Young family" (parents under the age of 25) and as such will qualify for low cost housing and possibly housing benefits. There will be a Housing Adviser on the end of the phone who will know exactly what you are entitled to benefits and housing wise.

They generally all work on a preference scheme, so you can choose where you would like to live and which house to live in. They will go through your budgets and calculate exactly how much things will cost.

You have a choice in Stoke:
Beth Johnson Housing Association,
Three Counties House,
Festival Way,
Stoke On Trent,
Staffordshire,
ST1 5PX

01782 219200
www.bethjohnson.org

Staffordshire Housing Association
'Knight House',
2 - 4 Woodhouse Street,
Stoke on Trent,
Staffordshire,
UK,
ST4 1EJ

01782 744533
www.staffshousing.org.uk

Stoke-On-Trent City Council
Civic Centre,
Glebe Street,
Stoke on Trent,
Staffordshire,
ST4 1RN

01782 234 567
www.stoke.gov.uk

Out of the three I would probably say your best bet is Beth Johnson, however, they may direct you towards the council for advice issues. There are Housing Advice Officers who work at Beth Johnson and they are all lovely Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ash t
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:19 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres no rating for Thumbs Up WOW.

Oh well

Thanks for all that Bella Mr. Green

Annabella

PostPosted: 17:27 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pleasure me dear.

From what I've picked up, a "Young Family" should get benefits such as Council Tax rebates, the option to buy a share in a house or to rent one from the local Housing Association with subsidies towards the cost.

I'm not an expert by any means, but there are lots of people who are Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ash t
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:30 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have actually looked at a couple of Shared houses in my local area. Staffs housing own 50% and we own the other half (if we buy)

We also pay £30 a week rent to them.

Im going to talk to a few people about this. It looks good, but im unsure if theres a catch.

Annabella

PostPosted: 17:35 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ash t wrote:
It looks good, but im unsure if theres a catch.

There really is no catch.

If you don't pay your rent, then you will have three weeks until an Arrears adviser will visit you. Their job is to find out why you aren't paying.

If it is because you are struggling to pay it, then they will find more suitable payment methods and reasses your benefits etc.

If there is no justifiable reason why you aren't paying, other than you being rubbish then they *can* (as with any mortgage loans company) reposses your house.

When you come to sell the house, you will take half the proceeds. Simple Thumbs Up
It really is an excellent scheme for people like yourselves, firstly to help you get on the property ladder and secondly that you will be in a position to purchase 100% of a house privately which is great for the council 'cos they'll get all the money they helped you out with back in taxes and thirdly, it is a way of encouraging people to move into less populated areas - or to get decent people who can integrate into a community into areas that need decent people - so really check up on the areas first. Very Happy

ash t
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant. Theres a couple of houses literally down the road from me which are shared, so I know the area well. Il have to give them a call. Very Happy

nrml76
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:56 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your monthly budget should take into account:

Mortgage
Council tax
Parish tax/ local tax
Electricity bill
Water bill
Gas bill
Life insurance and critical illness cover (you would be crazy if you took a mortgage without this)
Home insurance
Reapayment of outstanding loans, credit card bills, student loans etc
Petrol / commuting costs
Maintanance of vehicles, MOT, insurance etc
Entertainment expenses
Food and domestic consumables
Clothing

There may be many more expenses, depending on your individual circumstances etc. Make sure you can afford to keep up mortgage repayments if the interest rate rises.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mrs Kickstart
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:04 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

how about

Mortgage
House Insurance (buildings and contents)
Life insurance
Council Tax
Water Rates
Electric
Gas
Home Phone
Mobile Phone
Broadband
Car/Bike tax
Car/Bike insurance
Car/Bike servicing
House repairs and maintence (you will need money for this)
Clothes Mum/Dad and Baby
Food
TV licence
Entertainment (you will need a little)
Sick fund /income protection insurance

Citizend advice can be quite good at buget advice I belive. For water rates you can get a year free from the grant fund if you can give a good reason why you can't pay but will be able to later( ie just starting new baby etc it may be worth a try)

As far as I know there is no catch with Housing Assoication stuff but make sure understand what your contribution to repairs will be.

For insurance shop arround the deals with vary a lot just like bike insurance.

Income protection is often better than mortage protection and is cheaper the longer you can say you will wait before claiming. To work this out you will need to know how much sick pay you can get from work and how big your slush fund is, again shop arround.

Try to make sure you save a little each month for repairs and things else you send up having to borrow for a new cooker/fridge etc and quickly get in debt.

Regards
C

cc123
Geez a joab?

PostPosted: 19:26 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jebus, funny. I posted almost the same thing in the Scottish section.

Me and me misses are looking just now. We've been approved and started to look.

I also have my doubts but I'm sure we will be ok, both working and have some money set aside. First time buyers tho? Same here, just don't know what its really going to be like and true month to month costs.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 68 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1