Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Smoking ban - your thoughts?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic : View next topic  

Smoking Ban Vote
Outright ban
44%
 44%  [ 40 ]
Ban but exempt pubs not serving food and private member clubs
24%
 24%  [ 22 ]
Ban all except private member clubs
13%
 13%  [ 12 ]
None of the above - I can't be bothered
16%
 16%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 89

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:04 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

WR450_geezer wrote:

Surely you can have social groups without smoking.

You can, but it doesn't happen nearly as much.

Maybe some of the people who smoke actually extend their lives because they are less stressed? Smile

Quote:
Motorbikes?

Man creating something amazing and pushing themselves further then ever imagined.

With ultimately no purpose.

Quote:
Hobbies?

Keeps you fit, healthy, social active. Gives you a skill. Adrenaline rush.

Stops you getting fit as you have an engine, isolates you from the rest of the world. Gives you a skill about as useful as rolling a cigarette (actually, I can roll a cigarette fairly well, despite not smoking, this has got me more appreciated attention from women than motorbikes have Smile ).
Adrenaline rush very quickly goes unless you keep doing more and more life threatening things.

Bloody useless things, bikes Wink.

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:43 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

WR450_geezer wrote:
Has it actually done anything positive?

I would like to know what the positive effects of smoking are.

It stops me/us beating the living sh1t out of people on a regular basis. Thumbs Up Laughing

daz|n00by
The Internet

PostPosted: 18:43 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You are just getting abusive, no one is telling you not to smoke we just want some consideration for others and not smoke in front of those who don't like it.

Please tell me where i was abusive to you ?

Quote:
As for having a smoking rooms thats a no no,

A lot of consideration there m8

Quote:
I'm sorry if you don't like my tone but arguing for the right to give yourself a slow death and inflict others seems futile.

I dont like the way you try to talk down to me correct, i,m sure i have seen just as much life as you and i,m not a baby with a rattle as you so like to try to refer to me as.

And do i not have the right to argue my feeling on a subject that i feel just as stong about as it seems you do?

I dont see anywhere i have insulted you or your vast amount of knowledge on what rights we as a country have or dont have, although thats a new debate all together isnt it?

But i do see your posts as stated as a very one sided view that no matter what anybody else feels you want it all your way,
can i just ask how long it will be before we have a really hot summer and you feel like sitting outside the pub? in all that smoke because 20 or so people have been pushed out,
will you then demand that smokers are also removed from beer gardens? parks? the street?.
If it is so anti social and so bad for us how come the house of commons is not included in the ban? they say its because its a palace,
does that make is a nice way to behave then? does that make it healthy? i doubt it but it does make it a nice place for all those laughing at us to have a ciggy while they decide what they want to take of us next.

I'm sorry if you don't like my tone but thats the way i type things.

Last edited by daz|n00by on 22:51 - 16 Feb 2006; edited 1 time in total

WR450_geezer
Nobody likes me

PostPosted: 19:16 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
WR450_geezer wrote:
Cigaretts?

Kills. Nothing else.

Can calm people down. Gives them a nicotine rush.

If smoking is only there for calming people down whilst stressed then we should seriously be looking at what kind of society we live in. Stress is just a man made illness after all.

G wrote:
With ultimately no purpose.

Gets us from A - B. Used for couriering organs for important transplants. Ped boys deliver my pizzas
Very Happy

G wrote:
Stops you getting fit as you have an engine, isolates you from the rest of the world. Gives you a skill about as useful as rolling a cigarette

Misunderstanding between us there, afraid I wasn't talking about Motorbiking as a hobbie but every hobbie, walking, climbimg, kayaking, etc etc

Killa wrote:
Maybe I’ll take up stamp collecting after all…. Rolling Eyes

More hobbies then that Very Happy

Killa wrote:
Sad but true...and no don’t even start the argument about, no smoking means more money.

Maybe if they didn't smoke they would have more money for a hobby Razz

WR

daz|n00by
The Internet

PostPosted: 20:15 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

daz|n00by wrote:
Quote:
They did not fight for our freedom to kill each other.

No we fought so you can sit their and call me a child while referring to your wife/partner as Mrs. Spitfire.
You do seem to have a very one sided view of things from your posts, all i see is "i dont want" "you cant " "i" "me" .

Have you looked at this topic from any other point than you want life to suit you and any body else can go and get f*cked?

This topic isnt about ME its about 2 million people in the uk who have just had a slice of their life infringed on by others who belive they are doing the right thing without me/us getting asked what i want, maybe its not to far away that they will remove some of your good life without asking.

Can somebody explain to me how this has been rated a flame?
It doesnt seem i posted it with that intent and even after reading it again i see no flaming of anybody, only my opions and views

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:19 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't a flame Daz, People who don't understand the ratings system panic and click anything. Ebay sellers love people like this.

Even Spitfire didn't rate it negatively. Karma

m99dws
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:24 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davo wrote:

So why should Non-smokers have the right to force it on smokers?

Just a thought

Just because you have been allowed to smoke in a pub before does not mean that's how it should be.

And in a democracy, at what point does the minority vote get the action? At the end of the day, more people want a smoke free environment that smokey one. Live with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:26 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

m99dws wrote:
And in a democracy, at what point does the minority vote get the action? At the end of the day, more people want a smoke free environment that smokey one. Live with it.

What people? No f*cker asked me.

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 20:26 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the first page, Then got bored.

I got a Club, I like it there, And to be honnest, The smoke dosent really bother me while im there drinking with my mates etc.

BUT, I get home, I get to bed. And I wake up the next morning and EVERYTHING smells of stale fags.

Its not nice.

Ok to a smoker, You already smell like a Stale fag, and your breath stinks like an ashtray. So it dosent bother you lot.

But its Fucking wrank to a None smoker! Sick

I think that clubs and pubs should have smokeing Rooms (or outside)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:29 - 16 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really sure how they are going to Police this either.

OK enviromental health will do visits at first but then what?

spitfire
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:13 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

flip wrote:
It isn't a flame Daz, People who don't understand the ratings system panic and click anything. Ebay sellers love people like this.

Even Spitfire didn't rate it negatively. Karma

I would not do that unless it was really offensive, I was enjoying the heated discussion with DAz Wink

At the end of the day I respect DAZ for standing up to me, people who just sit there rating posts without actually contributing are just cowards.

Last edited by spitfire on 11:59 - 17 Feb 2006; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

steveh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:28 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont see how there going to enforce it in working mens clubs ect, but i do agree with it to an extent.
If im in a cue waiting, the most anoying thing, other than waiting in the damn cue in the first place is some old bint blowing her fag smoke into my face, i know have a lung full of second hand smoke, i thank you.

As for clubs and pubs ect, i belive it will make people short temperd, drunk people like to smoke more in the first place, when you tell a drunk person that has an addiction, they cant feed it, there going to get angry.

Now you have a short temperd drunk on your hands.

Steve.

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 19:15 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

m99dws wrote:

And in a democracy, at what point does the minority vote get the action?

Islamic Cartoons

Christmas lights now being seasonal lights

'Happy holidays'

Immigration

sooooooooooo many examples
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...

jok
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:40 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't smoke and dislike the smell, so as a general rule I don't go to pubs which smell. Simple, really. If I want to spend time with people the majority of which smoke, I put up with it; if I go out with people the majority of which do not smoke, I expect the same in return. Dead simple. I like being able to talk to (or rather, drunkenly ramble at Wink) people so I don't go to really noisy clubs. So simple even a simian could figure it out.

I sort of benefit from the smoking ban, I suppose, but it feels like the same sort of benefit you get from stablisers on a bicycle. Confused

Ah well, when people can't even carry a printer through an office for "health and safety" reasons I guess I should be grateful that I can still leave the house at all.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:52 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) DO NOT SMOKE.
2) DO NOT GET IT IN MY FACE IF YOU DO.
3) IS THIS GOING TO TAKE A LONG TIME?

Pete
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:39 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the rules should be left more or less as they are at the moment. I don't smoke, never been interested/tempted. I have many friends who smoke, and while I don't like smelling of their fags when I meet up with them, the pleasure of their company far outweighs the smell! Likewise, when I go to a pub I don't like the smell, but again, its my choice!
I think that if a pub/club wants to allow smoking, thats fine! In most pubs there are designated non-smoking areas - ok some smell drifts across, but its a negligible amount, so why not stay in the non-smoking area? It seems to me that we as a society feel the need to control every minority in the population, just so we as a whole feel better!

Middle Finger to the government and Middle Finger to the ban - coming from a strict non-smoker!

Pete Evil or Very Mad

Jman
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:17 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

tbh i like toking on the occasional ciggaro - but they're expensive so it is occasional Very Happy but im not sure if it really matters, i mean the factories probably pollute the air with worse right?

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!

PostPosted: 01:04 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

[url=https://archive.thisisgwent.co.uk/2004/09/02/57776.html] maybe they're already anticipating people giving up[url]

Someone mentioned taxes, etc. going up as revenue from smokers drops Neutral
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 94 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6