Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Document Management

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

FreshAL
Sir Crashalot

PostPosted: 19:13 - 22 Feb 2006    Post subject: Document Management Reply with quote

Oh wise geeks of BCF will you tell me how to fit a new coffee cup holder on my computer? The old one broke...

Naah, just kiddin'. Laughing

My team at work needs a document management solution. At the moment they are using shared network folders Rolling Eyes So, there's multiple versions, no change tracking and half the time no-one can find relevant documents.

There's only 5 of us, and we don't have a huge budget so open source/free software prefered. Something that could be customised and linked in with our existing customer contact db would be extra great.

Anyone got any suggestions?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!

PostPosted: 19:25 - 22 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your after a piece of software similar to Act, although it's more a CRM tool, I think it has the ability to track document changes etc...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 22 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Writeboard might be of interest. It's spot on for smallish groups like that, although it's entirely web based (could be positive or negative I guess) and you wouldn't be able to link it in with a customer DB.

If you wanted a central location for all of this you could setup a Basecamp account and organise it into seperate projects with writeboards associated as well as messages/todos etc. It's very useful and pretty cheap too. (If you did want to go down that route then let me sort out an affiliate link for you Wink)

m99dws
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 22 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharepoint is a reasonable document management solution, although have no idea on price.
As for CRM software, all I can say is f**king Lagan!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Craggles
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:27 - 22 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would something like SVN be suitable?

Don't know if it could link to your customer DB without heavy customization - but it has some very good clients (all open source) and does version tracking with different users etc...

Some URLs for you:

https://subversion.tigris.org/
https://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ - A windows SVN shell extention basically

HTH

Craig

FreshAL
Sir Crashalot

PostPosted: 17:32 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is interested...

I've found KnowledgeTree

It's web based open source doc management, with a proprietary plug-in for integration with MS Office, Open Office and Windows Explorer.

Dead easy install, looks OK so far.

It's still in Beta (at Release Candiate 1) and I'd agree that it's not ready for production yet, but not far off.

Company supporting it and the developers seem active, so I'm hoping this will be the solution I'm looking for.

If anyone's interested I'll update with how it goes.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 59 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1