Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

can't afford snap-on

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

crimanalD
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:16 - 25 Feb 2006    Post subject: can't afford snap-on Reply with quote

what would you recommend if i can not afford snap Question Question
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:22 - 25 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: can't afford snap-on Reply with quote

For what tools?

crimanalD
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:44 - 25 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

general mechanics equiptment (sockets spanners wrench spanners alum keys) iv just started working at a bike mechanic and its bout time i got my own tools!! but bont want cheap shitty ones that will round off nuts and stuff!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

0ddball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:45 - 25 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halfords professional range is surprisingly good for the money. Lifetime guarantee too.

crimanalD
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:47 - 25 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

never thought ov that thanks mate Very Happy

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 17:51 - 25 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Snap On are good, but so are Facom, Britool, Mac, and a load of others.

Only plus point is which ones give good rates for buying them on the never-never in your area.

All the best

Keith

riichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:54 - 25 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpannerMonkey wrote:
Halfords professional range is surprisingly good for the money. Lifetime guarantee too.

yep i have some halfords tools really good and not to hard on the beer money Wink

2Smoke
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:46 - 25 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use facom, top quality stuff with a lifetime guarantee! Also consider beta, same sort of gear.

If you get vans round (franklin etc) they are always worth getting stuff off as most of it is good value and lifetime guarantee!

T1z3R
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 25 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

for much cheapness draper are good and for mucho cheapness lazer are the same.

Dillingsuk
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:54 - 25 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldnt touch Draper's normal gear, its rubbish, but thier professional stuff isn't bad. Halforfds professional are the way to go excellent gear at at a reasonable price!

theshmoo
Bottomless Pit

PostPosted: 23:00 - 25 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a lot off snap-on tools but now I buy Halfords pro range there just as good.

Richard1987
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:27 - 25 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

we use beta at the college i go to, Dont buy the halfords cheaper sets Dynamic i think? they are the same tools that you see in the argos catalogue re-badged as challenge pro Wink

Knowlsey
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 02:44 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just buy hardened impact sockets, they are cheap off the flee market and tough as fook, as for spanners i still like snap on for most common stuff, 13mm etc but lazer have never let me down
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what tool it is. I buy a lot of Britool stuff. Mainly screwdrivers, snips, pliers and the like. If I'm buying Adjustable spanners then it's Bahco all the way. I've been buying Halfords professional spanners and socket sets and they are very good.

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 11:24 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ever tried to change a tyre with the standard tool the car manufactuer gives you ?
they are truly shit tools, made of cheese.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do go down the halfords route they do a discount card for professional engineers/mechanics and such, sometimes 50% on certain bits! Thumbs Up (or know somebody who has one mwahahahaha!)

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:46 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fan of 'wall drive' sockets - you can go for a cheaper make and still be sure that they won't round bolts etc.

Picked up a 1/4" + 3/8" set for about £15 from a bike show a few years ago and never had a problem with them.

mr.z wrote:
If you do go down the halfords route they do a discount card for professional engineers/mechanics and such, sometimes 50% on certain bits! Thumbs Up (or know somebody who has one mwahahahaha!)

Know how you have to 'prove' this is the case?

400bandit
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:59 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like many others have said, the Halfords professional tools are great value for money. My dad has a set and are great. He's had them only 3 years or so but uses them on his 26 ton lorry and they are still in perfect condition. Snap On are nice but I can't help but think that your paying for the name.. but thats just my opinion. Joe
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 64 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1