Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Wireless Router

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 13:46 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Wireless Router Reply with quote

Looking for a new one, so any suggestions?

Has to have at minimum a couple of rj45 connectors and minimum wireless speed of 54g.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:48 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: Wireless Router Reply with quote

Bendy just got a cheap one off ebuyer, so could be worth seeing if her/luke has had any problems with it.

Last edited by G on 14:06 - 26 Feb 2006; edited 1 time in total

Skunkcap Freddie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:55 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

BT are selling routers at the moment, super easy to set up have telephone support aswell.

they have 4 ports on the back for connecting cables to (rj45)

they have models for adsl and dsl

my place sells the BT voyager 2110 (adsl) £65 and the BT voyager 1500 £55 (dsl aka ntl cable)

these's are super, havn't had a complaint about them yet. compared to the cheap turd we brought in for a bit. you probably be able to find these cheaper online tho .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

m99dws
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:20 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at some Belkin pre-n stuff but was a bit expensive for the actual product you get.
I think the range of the Belkin kit was good but the K-Corp products seem to reliable and reasonable too.

https://www.kcorplifestyle.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DucatiEVO
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:25 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linksys WRT54G range, linux based so you can do a lot with them! Wink

T1z3R
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

DucatiEVO wrote:

i'll second that. owned by cisco now and never had bother with any of their stuff.

Retro-Man
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:02 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the BT 2100 wireless router, never had any problems (touch wood) and easy setup Thumbs Up

belkin stuff works great as does netgear, always had problems personally with Linksys, think they tend to over complicate things

cheers
Retro

GSXR_Warrior
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:12 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a Netgear wireless firewall/router. No problems at all. Really easy to setup.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 22:01 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

DucatiEVO wrote:

I've just got one of these. Trouble is, they are now shipping the version 5 WRT54G's, which don't run on Linux, and have less memory, so no thirs party firmware or anything works on them.

Bear this in mind, you won't be able to do anything with it if you get it, you'll most likely get the v5. Still an awesome router though.

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 23:17 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend the Linksys too.

kal9001
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:25 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Friend down in london (dont talk to him much anymore) but he made his own Router with a Via EPIA microITX motherboard and a PCI WiFicard he also put a PCMCIA WIFi card in it as well (i think) so it could handle two WiFi based WAN's.
in all it must have cost him £300 wich is a much more expencive option , but as it was capable of having any number of Modems attached Via USB or Ethernet then it was VERY flexable. my suggestion to him was to put some stograge in it then it would act as a Router with NAS capability able to run as a Webserver with Firewalls on each side of the NAS meaning even with ports 80 and 21 (and whatever else hes running) open it still doesnt pose a threat to his other systems.
im not sure wich version of Linux he was using on it.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 16:55 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently use a Netgear DG834G. Four wired connections plus wireless. Includes ADSL modem and firewall. Ok to setup and no problems (but everything wireless connected is also negear stuff).

It's probably being replaced by newer kit by now.
It's just one, based on experience, that I'd recommend.

HTH Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 17:46 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers peeps, gives me some to look at.

Its not actually for me Im happy with my belkin, just for a guy I know whos after a one so wanted to see what peoples experience was of newish ones out.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 61 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1