BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Givi rack

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

syl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:05 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Givi rack Reply with quote

Spring is almost here so I'm looking to alter the bike to make it commuter friendly.

How easy is it to fit a Givi rack? I'm thinking of fitting this one to my bike. I can't find mounting instructions online - any drilling or cutting involved with Givi racks? Is much bike disassembly required? I haven't really done any work to a bike before at all, although I have got all the necessary tools (though my wife tells me that patience is definately missing from my toolbox).

Alternatively I might fit this from SW-Motech with a Givi adapter plate - which looks very straightforward but is more expensive.

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:04 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there

No drilling should be required to fit a givi rack, I have never heard of anyone having to do any.

The support arms usually connect to the sub frame under your rear cowl or if there are any luggage 'bars' or supports (of which bungees fix onto) they will clmap onto this.

You may also find on other bikes you have to remove the pillion grabrail and they will fix into those holes. I can't be certain of course as I've never seen a z750s with one fitted. From the below picture, it appears to keep on the grabrail though.

Are you buying new or used?

New will definetely include instructions.

You can't lose anything if you email givi.co.uk and see if they can send you a .pdf manual. Thumbs Up Either way, it's very simple to fit.

No real amount of dissasembly will be required, I have never had to when fitting it to a bike but you might have to remove the rear cowl. It is unlikely but it's a possibility. Whatever you do, don't buy the more expensive one because it looks simpler. Trust me, they're damn easy to fit and will include isntructions. You don't need any experience with tools to do it.

Smile

syl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:28 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

instigator wrote:
Hi there

No drilling should be required to fit a givi rack, I have never heard of anyone having to do any.

The support arms usually connect to the sub frame under your rear cowl or if there are any luggage 'bars' or supports (of which bungees fix onto) they will clmap onto this.

You may also find on other bikes you have to remove the pillion grabrail and they will fix into those holes. I can't be certain of course as I've never seen a z750s with one fitted. From the below picture, it appears to keep on the grabrail though.

Are you buying new or used?

New will definetely include instructions.

You can't lose anything if you email givi.co.uk and see if they can send you a .pdf manual. Thumbs Up Either way, it's very simple to fit.

No real amount of dissasembly will be required, I have never had to when fitting it to a bike but you might have to remove the rear cowl. It is unlikely but it's a possibility. Whatever you do, don't buy the more expensive one because it looks simpler. Trust me, they're damn easy to fit and will include isntructions. You don't need any experience with tools to do it.

Smile

Thanks. As well as being more expensive (we're talking about 10 quid more) the SW Motech one does have some other advantages:

1) Looks better when the box isn't mounted.
2) You can add a pannier rack to it later.

Still undecided. I'll email Givi and ask about that pdf file.

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:49 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

...or you could also check your local dealer to find out if they supply/fit the racks you're looking at.
You don't neccessarily need to pay dealer prices to get them to supply and fit, just ask them for some advice from their workshop bods?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

syl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:08 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dazbo666 wrote:
...or you could also check your local dealer to find out if they supply/fit the racks you're looking at.
You don't neccessarily need to pay dealer prices to get them to supply and fit, just ask them for some advice from their workshop bods?

Give have sent me the instructions (quite quick of them but I can't understand their reluctance to publish them on the web site).

The only modification required is to "enlarge the holes of the original plastic tray to a diameter of 8.5mm" (that well known drill bit size, I think 9mm will do). I'm also concerned that one of the "original parts" that I have to re-use looks like one of those plastic rivets, though they shouldn't be that difficult to get hold of. I'll have to have a look at the bike later with the instructions next to me.

Looks as if it should only take 15 minutes. Maybe I should just pay 15 minutes of workshop time (@ £50 ph) to a workshop bod to do it for me, just in case I bodge anything Smile

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:27 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmahon wrote:
....Looks as if it should only take 15 minutes. Maybe I should just pay 15 minutes of workshop time (@ £50 ph) to a workshop bod to do it for me, just in case I bodge anything Smile

£50 for drilling a couple of 8.5mm holes?? Nice work if you can get it Wink
I know what you're saying though - If you're not 100% about doing it yourself, I'd consider getting the garage to do it too
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:08 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an aside, the SW Motech stuff is the dogs if you want to remove the whole thing and have the bike looking standard again. A few of my Blackbird owning mates had them and they were excellent.

Cheers

Grim
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:52 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

the grim reaper wrote:
As an aside, the SW Motech stuff is the dogs if you want to remove the whole thing and have the bike looking standard again. A few of my Blackbird owning mates had them and they were excellent.

Cheers

Grim

Just what I wanted to hear!! I've been considering upgrading from soft luggage to a removeable hard case for a while now, but didn't want lots of hardware left on the bike....
I'll be checking out SWMotech to see if it's compatible with my bike(s) Thumbs Up

krebsy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:28 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Problems fitting a Givi... Reply with quote

I fitted a Givi monorack onto my Diversion and the only problems I had were as follows:

The rack attaches to the frame by plugging into the end of it with a metal collar, bolt and "round wedge" that expands the collar when the bolt is tightened. It's a tight fit and if the "wedge" is too loose in the collar when you put it into the frame then it can come loose and dissapear off inside your bike. Luckilly I had a small but powerful magnet and some of that plastic coated coiled steel curtain wire to use as a magnetic fishing hook. In the end I put the collar and wedge together, gave it a light tap with a hammer and shoved it into the frame. Then tightened it up with the bolt.

The other problem (why I lost the wedge in the first place) was that the bracket you bolt to the collar didn't line up exactly with the rest of the holes on the bike and I had to apply a bit of force (bending the indicators out of the way in the process) to get it all to line up. The bolt wasn't lining up with the screw thread in the wedge and was pushing the wedge out of the collar...

Now it's all wedged as tight as it can be (any tighter would need welding Smile ) and that rack is never coming off.

All i need to do now is replace my exhaust, but that's another story for next week... Smile

K.

1280 x 1024.

syl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:05 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dazbo666 wrote:
dmahon wrote:
....Looks as if it should only take 15 minutes. Maybe I should just pay 15 minutes of workshop time (@ £50 ph) to a workshop bod to do it for me, just in case I bodge anything Smile

£50 for drilling a couple of 8.5mm holes?? Nice work if you can get it Wink
I know what you're saying though - If you're not 100% about doing it yourself, I'd consider getting the garage to do it too

15 minutes at £50 per hour is only £12.50 (and the mechanic will only be getting a fraction, it has to pay the garage costs, receptionist, etc.). If I was going to have a service any time soon I'd just get them to do it anyway, think I can afford it. But I'm not, so I'll sort it out myself.

Am having a bit of a second think about stuffing a top box on anyway as everyone keeps telling me they look shit and I'd be better off with a tail pack. Then again, it's not as if I've got a sportsbike. And I could still go for hard panniers instead (SW-Motech make some very decent brackets for those too).

No rush, I won't be commuting on it for a month or so yet (probably longer looking how the weather is going - it's not another 2003).

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmahon wrote:
15 minutes at £50 per hour is only £12.50 (and the mechanic will only be getting a fraction, it has to pay the garage costs, receptionist, etc.)....

I understand what you're saying, but in my experience (previously in the trade) a lot of garages won't charge my the minute, or by the quarter. From memory they'll just have an hourly rate and usually just charge "per hour, or part thereof".

Just my Penny Coin Penny Coin
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 63 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1