Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Any welders in the house?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheGaj
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:12 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Any welders in the house? Reply with quote

Hi all, I'm trying to modify a motorbike trailer I bought to take a bigger bike, and as a complete welding n00b, i'm finding it harder than I thought! Confused

So... last night I started, I have borrowed one of these SIP Migmate 150 Turbo from my friend, with all the gubbins to go with it. Tried last night on some off cuts of steel, and just managed to make a mess with big blobs of weld not holding much together at all! After about half an hour of trying, the welder stopped working, another half an hour of staring at the thing, and decide that a nice cold pint would help me think! So pop downstairs to the pub (it's great living above one), and two pints later I go back to tackle it again, only to find out the reason it wasn't working was the gas had run out. Embarassed

Back to the pub aagin, two more pints later an a bit of sweet talking to the landlord, and I got meself another big bottle of CO2. Kewl. Very Happy

Gonna try again tonight, but looking for some tips on techniques, easiest ways to start, how much wire should be sticking out the welder when you start etc etc, I managed to weld the wire to the gun several times, before it finally had enough of my trying! Any help much appreciated. Feel free to teach me like an idiot, 'cos when it comes to welding I am!! Smile

Ichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:12 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/learning-mig.htm

Its a bit hard to explain by writing but this site has videos. I don't necessarily agree with the technique but its a start.

Random Tips.
Main thing is to make sure the feed rate and power are correct for the thickness of material. No penetration usually means your moving too fast or the power is too low. If the wire is pushing off the part then the feed rate is too high, if it sort of 'backfires' the feed rate is too low.

Make sure everything is clean.

If there are bubbles in the weld then theres not enough Co2.

To stop the wire welding it to the tip use anti spatter spray, not sure what you can use in its place, maybe oil, tallow? This usually happens if theres a bad earth or you are too close to the workpiece or maybe the power is set too high.

Ichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW the tip should be about 1/2" from the surface, if you have welding gloves and a head mask the it can sometime be easier to use your other hand as a guide, sort of like a rifle?

TheGaj
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:47 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

marki wrote:
https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/learning-mig.htm

Its a bit hard to explain by writing but this site has videos. I don't necessarily agree with the technique but its a start.

Random Tips.
Main thing is to make sure the feed rate and power are correct for the thickness of material. No penetration usually means your moving too fast or the power is too low. If the wire is pushing off the part then the feed rate is too high, if it sort of 'backfires' the feed rate is too low.

Make sure everything is clean.

If there are bubbles in the weld then theres not enough Co2.

To stop the wire welding it to the tip use anti spatter spray, not sure what you can use in its place, maybe oil, tallow? This usually happens if theres a bad earth or you are too close to the workpiece or maybe the power is set too high.

Thanks for the link, that is really helpful. I have got a few good ideas where I was going wrong, so will try again tonight. Very Happy

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:31 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this one too (h@ynes welding manual)

slimjim04
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:59 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr.z wrote:
Try this one too (h@ynes welding manual)

Within this zip file is a Torrent file, which you will need a bit torrent software to be able to download the h@ynes welding manual..
just thought id point that out b4 anyone got confused Laughing

Or click link below and save a copy

Direct Download

but thanks for sharing mr.z
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 63 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1