Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Book recommendations?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

jok
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:54 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Book recommendations? Reply with quote

I've had a flick through a few of the workshop/repair manuals from Scotsman37's list mentioned in the Sticky thread, bought and read the "Haynes Motorcycle Basics Tech book" (which, great though it is Thumbs Up, of course only recommends more Haynes' books Rolling Eyes), am slowly working my way through Dan's Repair course and trawled through google, but I was wondering if anyone can recommend any other books or resources on how motorcycles work. I'd be interested in anything from practical hands-on guides to more abstract or theoretical descriptions of particular aspects of a bike.

("Learning by doing" is not really an option for space reasons Confused and I don't have the time (or the money) for a "proper" course at the moment, before anyone suggests it)

Bezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:13 - 01 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's another Haynes but the Fuel Systems Techbook is good, written by the late great John Robinson Thumbs Up
Covers all the theory, construction, adjustment, fault finding, and tuning etc etc for Carburettors and Fuel Injection well worth a read.
Same goes for their Electrical Manual as well, but when all is said and done there's no substitute for the actual thing. Surely you could stash an old nail of a bike somewhere and learn quicker by stripping refurbishing it with the knowledge you are building up from books.

jok
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:10 - 01 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not against Haynes at all. Quite the opposite, in fact: what I've read of their's so far is great Thumbs Up, just... the more the merrier Smile . I need to get a bike for practical reasons first and, sadly, only then I can think about getting something else to fiddle with (which would have to live outside somewhere... hardly an ideal place). So, for the time being it's just books.

Thanks for the info, though! I'll see if I can dig it up somewhere.

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 01:38 - 01 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

jok wrote:
I'm not against Haynes at all. Quite the opposite, in fact: what I've read of their's so far is great

Their welding & autobody books are absolutely bloody dire.

Have a look for threads by me. I listed 2 books that are "must haves" in a thread a few months back

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:41 - 01 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bezzer said is true though. If you get an old nail, you really wont mind leaving it outside.

Several of my mates living in flats in Edinburgh have built themselves bikes. What you do is bung some plastic sheeting and a lump of plywood in a corner of your room. Next, get a shitheap of a bike and park it somewhere where it wont be tripped over.

Dismantle the bike into rough lumps and bung them in the coal cellar or something in boxes.

Now, take the lumps of bike up to your room one at a time, dismantle, clean and reassemble. You could surprise yourself by how quickly it makes a working bike. Even if you just take the engine up for a fiddle and throw the rest in a skip it would ba a good learning exercise. There is a dismantled C90 engine in my bedroom right now, doesn't take up all that much space.

Then the next problem is how the hell to get a fully assembled triumph 250 single down six flights of stairs (as one mate of mine found). Obviously, you ride it down.

Now, say you bought something like THIS, you wouldn't REALLY worry about parking it outside now would you? (Incidentally, I bet that bike isn't as bad as it looks, if you look at the tinwork, it is dirty but not all that corroded).

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 01:55 - 01 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Then the next problem is how the hell to get a fully assembled triumph 250 single down six flights of stairs.

Try the same thing with a '76 Kaw Z900.... Rolling Eyes
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 62 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1