BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Alonso on Rossi - from BBC website

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 19:02 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading a Mat Oxley column in Bike about the possible implications of the new 800cc limit.

It won't be long before the bikes could possibly be near as fast in a straight line than the 990s, but to get such performance the motors will have to be exceptionally peaky and massively highly tuned. Could be a receipe for a stroker-esc four stroke?

Or maybe technology would have to take over, allowing the riders to cope with such a highly strung delivery? How much would this take away from the racing? Hard to say. One thing's for sure, technology requires money and lots of it. Who has the most money to develop a new breed of smaller capacity race bikes? Honda.

Who wanted the new regulations to go ahead in the first place? Oh, it was Honda.

If Rossi leaves (who's the best racer and development rider out there atm), could the other manufacturers could be destined for also-ran-positions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NC30UK
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:10 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 990's used to be very smooth with loads of low down power. Then they cut the amount of fuel they were allowed for the race. running the bikes lean made them snatchy and peaky. a few months later electronic aids made the bikes easier to ride and smoother than they were before.

The 800's will rev higher making them more peaky but electronics will mean they are smooth and torquey in the bit of the rev range thats used. I don't think we will see much of a difference when the change over happens.

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigs23 wrote:
Who wanted the new regulations to go ahead in the first place? Oh, it was Honda.

It has been rumoured that the reg's would favour Honda not just because they have the cash to throw at the situation, but because of their current V5 setup. Chop off a cylinder and they have an 800cc bike or thereabouts. Can't do that with the V4s.

kb-zxr
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:47 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do they want to reduce the racing engine size for?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:56 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

kb-zxr wrote:
Why do they want to reduce the racing engine size for?

To keep speeds down. They're now surpassing 200mph on a lot of circuit's main straights, which is immense on a bike.

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:42 - 22 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigs23 wrote:

If Rossi leaves (who's the best racer and development rider out there atm), could the other manufacturers could be destined for also-ran-positions.

I agree whole heartedly. Simply because i beleive that they have the least r&d to do. All they have to do is chop a cylinder off, and that's their engine sorted.

Jack

ppeaster
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:06 - 22 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a problem with Alonso's comments. It just looks like a bit of gamesmanship to me, which until recently was par for the course in F1.

I can remember Schumacher using similar mind games on Damon Hill - and they worked a treat to be fair! You can't blame Alonso for doing the same!

Whether or not Alonso seriously believes he could be competetive on a MotoGP bike is irrelevant - in all fairness he probably doesn't, but he's F1 world champion and doesn't appear to have any interest in switching disciplines, so it doesn't matter to him either way.

Grubby
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:38 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see Rossi on one of the new 800cc bikes when they come out. It'll be even more of an even playing field then than it was when the four strokes became the only tool on the track. I reckon that Honda will make a V4 for cheapness of R7D sake but there's no reason why a 3 cylinder bike wouldn't work. A V3 configuration has a few benfits over a V4 so it is feasable that there could be some V3's aswell as V4's, straight 4's or even straight triples.....Triumph racing anyone Laughing maybe not!

zaknafien

PostPosted: 18:49 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grubby wrote:
Triumph racing anyone Laughing maybe not!

That's something i'd actually like to see.

monkeymagic
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:05 - 04 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm putting as much money as i can on schumacher winning the title. alonso knows the ferrari is much better this year.

would love to see rossi in F1 but he'll always be a little off the pace.

WR450_geezer
Nobody likes me

PostPosted: 22:44 - 04 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rossi span off the track his very first test drive with Ferarri , after a few laps though he soon recorded a lap time just 1.6seconds behind Alonso.

Bit like Ellen Macarthur, she spends 6 months of the year at sea and when she went on Top Gear she got the quickest time in a reaosnably priced car.

Amazing things sportsman. They really are something different.

WR
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 55 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2