Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

320mm Front brake disc: Wavey, normal or oversized?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:37 - 20 Dec 2005    Post subject: 320mm Front brake disc: Wavey, normal or oversized? Reply with quote

Hi,

In on the look out for replacing my warped front brake disc for my KTM Supermoto and would like to know what the difference and pros/cons (besides costs: about £100 for normal - £160 for oversized wavey) are between the above options?

As far as the oversize option goes I'm guessing a new caliper would be needed, this is not in my budget but I'm intrigued as to what makes an oversized disc 'better'?

Many thanks

Phil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DucatiEVO
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:20 - 20 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is you would get a spacer for the standard caliper to move it further out.

The larger the disc the more stopping power you have due to leverage.

Imagine spinning a bicycle wheel and then stopping it via grabbing the tyre, pretty easy. Now if you tried the same, but instead of the tyre you grabbed the hub center, you would find it much harder because you're so much closer to the pivot point.

Larger discs have the same effect. Thumbs Up

DucatiEVO
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:21 - 20 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops update, if you're happy with the standard brakes just go for the £100 option, if however you want more power spend the extra. Smile

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:02 - 20 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

DucatiEVO wrote:
Oops update, if you're happy with the standard brakes just go for the £100 option, if however you want more power spend the extra. Smile

so I get how the size of the disc makes a difference (as in diameter) but how does the a supersize 320mm disc differ from a normal 320mm disc? How does adding the waves make a difference, just better heat dispersion?

Thanks for the help Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DucatiEVO
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:18 - 20 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a supermoto expert, but I'm assuming the difference between the 320 and 320 'supersize' is that the 'supersize' is wavey?

Wavey discs just seem to help clean the face of the pads better, if you were off-roading in mud etc, then the wavey would be the perferred option due to its cleaning action.

Apart from the cleaning action, I've never seen an improvement going to waveys myself, unless you like the look. But a lot of times, a wavey aftermarket disc is cheaper than an O.E item.

Smile

mr.tattoo
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:13 - 30 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

wavey's are just for show unless your offroad, it flicks mud off the disk then!! get a 320 mate, may need a spacer for the caliper but talon do them, cant remember what size disk was on the front. Very Happy

Spike_R
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 07:03 - 05 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI,

wavey discs generaly have better results for some reasons, if you look up articles in magazines? (MCN??) then maybe you would get some info on that.

Idealy you want a fully floating disc and a 4 pot brembo caliper, you can really notice the difference in power compared to the 2 pot standard caliper.

Personaly my two supermoto braking setups are:
Brembo Master Cylinder, Brembo 2 pot caliper, RSV Tuono disc, rubber hose
Brembo Master Cylnder, Brembo 4 pot caliper, Braking 320mm floating wavey, braided hose.

On the road,i can hit the first setup pulling lever right in and it just gradualy slows me down, hit the brakes on the second one and it'll try and stoppie me at 50odd mph Neutral

DucatiEVO
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 11:06 - 05 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's more a case of the 4-pot Brembo being a darn sight better than the 2-pot model, rather than the disc type. Smile

P.S. 3 month old topic, nicely dug up! Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 59 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1