Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

TOTALLY FUCKED OFF!!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Topic moved: from Dear Auntie BCF... to The Geek Zone by G (23 Feb 2006 - 08:30)
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:42 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before lunchtime? I'm not going to be awake. Razz

MSN is nearly always signed in.

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 13:29 - 03 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok guys, would like some help out on this.
So i sent Sony a letter (see attached)

They have sent this.....

WTF?

HA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:44 - 03 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What were you honestly hoping for them to do by way of compensation?

How's it their fault you'd not made any backups of your data or kept the software upto date?

That's not the actual letter you sent them, is it? Neutral

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 13:59 - 03 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the least professional letter I've seen in my entire life!

It doesn't go very far to describe the problem, "it deleted all my pictures" is hardly sufficient.

The letter probably went round the office a couple of times, they had a little giggle, then sent out a bog standard reply.

You'll never get compensation out of Sony, you're still using the phone, Sony have lost nothing.

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 14:16 - 03 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the point was that they could have notified me that this problem needs to be sorted before you use it with your PC.
It’s not a spontaneous thing and by no means my fault.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:34 - 03 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

killa wrote:
by no means my fault.

How is it Sony's fault that you'd not kept the software upto date?

How is it Sony's fault that you'd not made any backups of all these important pictures?

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 11:10 - 06 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Surely when they sell a hand set to someone there should be an obvious note to say that the software that is on the handset originally can cause the loss of everything on your phone when using the USB device.

swaffs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:20 - 06 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

so if I lost 3000 photo's because a Hard drive failed, is that Maxtor's fault? (which I did)

NO

Fortunately I had backed up the most important (family) ones to DVD.

Why didn't you keep a copy when you transferred from the Nokia?

Use the ontrack software, I have restored data from loads of memory cards/hard drives for people before. If you had that many photo's on your phone I'm sure they will be on the memory card and not the phones internal memory.
If you cant download an illegal crack at work then do it at home! like the rest of us. Your supposed to be working ! Razz

If you still can't restore it then send me the card, but please don't send me a 'official threatening letter' if it doesn't work.

I have not read you letter, reading your language in here gives me an idea of how it written.

It is your responsibilty to ensure you keep software upto date etc. and any data stored on the phone will be your responsibility.

I hope you get your files back, and have learned a valuable lesson.

Swaffs

Oh, you have a hundred mates? !!! Shocked Rolling Eyes Razz

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 11:34 - 06 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
killa wrote:
by no means my fault.

How is it Sony's fault that you'd not made any backups of all these important pictures?

If you bought a bike that had faulty brakes you wouldn't be saying the same. I find it funny that when technology is involved people seem to accept a lower standard of service than they would if it was something else. Sony Ericson phones have been dogged with software issues at least since the k700. If I buy a phone with X amount of features then I expect them to work without having to upgrade them.

I agree, backing the images up is the sensible thing to do, however it should be noted that if this is a recurring problem amongst w800i users then it is Sony's fault for releasing a phone that isn't fit for the purpose it states it is for.

Swaff...Maybe after several years then it is reasonable to expect a harddrive to fail due to it having a finite life span, however why do we accept that if it is broken due to poor workmanship that it is not the manufacturers fault?

I appreciate however that lost data is the responsibility of the owner and not the manufactuer but lets not kid ourselves into believing they are not responsible when it comes to them releasing products which are not initially fit for the purpose they were intent for.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 11:46 - 06 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

swaffs wrote:
so if I lost 3000 photo's because a Hard drive failed, is that Maxtor's fault? (which I did)

NO

Fortunately I had backed up the most important (family) ones to DVD.

If your hard drive failed then it would be a hardware problem, maybe a faulty one from the production line or something.
Not everyone who goes into a phone shop and buys the Sony W800i goes home and straight away goes to the website to update software, you have to take into consideration people who don’t care about the upgrades but may just like the phone as it is, it’s able to call people, play music and take photos.
On more than 3 forums I’ve now read about problems with the phone, I would have liked to have known when I bought the phone I needed to upgrade, I would have backed up as well because it sounds like it happens quite randomly.

swaffs wrote:
If you still can't restore it then send me the card, but please don't send me a 'official threatening letter' if it doesn't work.

I have not read you letter, reading your language in here gives me an idea of how it written.

Sorry, what are you talking about? Why would I send a threatening letter?
I wrote a letter because the software corrupting my pictures etc was not my fault, I don’t usually get other people to type my letters, I wouldn’t take punctuation lessons from you either. Laughing

swaffs wrote:
It is your responsibility to ensure you keep software upto date etc. and any data stored on the phone will be your responsibility.

I’ve never had to update anything on the 3 phones I’ve had before this, none of them have buggered like this either. A quick note to say I ‘need’ to upgrade, would have been nice.

Edit:-I’d just like to add as well that Sony Ericsson blatantly know about the problems with their phones, on speaking to them on the help line, the three times I rang the helpline I received different answers.
Even in this ‘professional’ letter they sent to me clearly said ‘There are no known problems with the phones’, I mean WTF?
Take the piss out of my letter by all means, it isn’t you dealing with it, its interesting to see that they will just lie like this and make you think you’re the one who did this.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 54 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2