Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

pentium vs. celeron?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

izzi81
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 01:22 - 03 Mar 2006    Post subject: pentium vs. celeron? Reply with quote

Now I'm finally planning a move out of the family home it's time to get my own PC. Dell seems to have some pretty good offers at the moment, but I've never been clear on the whole p4/celeron thing. OK Celeron is the 'budget' model, and is less powerful. But how much less? I don't game much at all, certainly not cutting edge gaming, I mainly do web design, net browsing, photo stuff, that sort of thing. Is there any point paying more for a p4 or am I going to be just fine with a celeron?

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:34 - 03 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to be doing some processor-intensive applications (Photoshop, video editing, Dreamweaver) investing in a Pentium is definitely the way to go. Celerons are suited to undemanding programs and net surfing, that's about it.

Remember Intel isn't the only way to go.

The equivalent of those from another maker is the Athlon (=Pentium) and Duron (=Celeron). There are also the new chipsets which are called Sempium and Turion

Look out for the different cores as well; I'm not up on the newest cores, but I know an Athlon Barton core is a powerful processor to behold. At least, it used to be. Can't keep up with this crap. Rolling Eyes

kal9001
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 04:36 - 03 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The differance between Celerons and Pentiums is praformance, Celerons are basicley reject Pentiums.

I avoid Intel CPU's at all cost, they run FAR too in the desktop market and FAR too expencive on the Mobile market, where AMD is generaly a much cheaper choise and pulls more praformance fora lower clockspeed (thats the dirty secret Intel wants noone to know) that an AMD chip at 1.8Ghz (as in my Laptop Athlon64-3000) is about on par with an Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz of the same generation.

the only advantage of Intel is if your going Mobile. Pentium M's are AMAZING overclockers if you can find one plus a Mobo that will take it or if your looking at Laptops. i dont know how the new Athlons clock but i know SOI has removed the age old "ramp the voltage" trick Razz but P4's can be pushed into 5Ghz if you use Gas cooling (6Ghz ish if you have a bottle of Liquid nitrogen (im serious it has been done)
if you are a n00b and you want a full system find a friend who nows what hes doing and he can source from Ebuyer and build you something with FAR more power abit cheaper lol

DucatiEVO
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 09:35 - 03 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMD all the way! Cool

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 10:17 - 03 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMD are good but they are noise as fook, both my Athlon 1.1Ghz and my Sempron 3000 give me ear ache.

I had a Celeron and it was absolutely rubbish for everything, fair enough now I have a P4 3.0Ghz but still it was pants.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 10:33 - 03 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon B wrote:
AMD are good but they are noise as fook, both my Athlon 1.1Ghz and my Sempron 3000 give me ear ache.

Thats the crap CPU fan and noisey PSU you have not the CPU.
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

izzi81
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:16 - 03 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

normally I would go with AMD too but I'm looking for a good cheap deal and dell seem to have a good choice and are a good company (as far as I know!) and they only do intel...

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 12:20 - 03 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what you need l would get a dell package, we got one of there P2.4ghz packages for my sister last year, cheap and cheerfull system because she only uses it for collage work and the internet, there very simple in-side though little can be added to there mobos in the future if you want to upgrade the ram or add varoius PCI cards.
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:26 - 03 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically the Celeron is a castrated Pentium, basically with lower cache and FSB (in laymans terms it runs alot slower than its Pentium 4 counterpart.)

Personally I'd go for a Pentium 4, and steer clear of Celerons, cos they are very old hat now, and Pentium 4's aren't that much more.

Oh and Jon B, processors don't make the noise, its the crap CPU fan and heatsink your using to cool it, as AMDs run notoriously hot, and are usually put in to budget systems cos there alot cheaper so people don't bother using decent quiet fans or they just use the retail fans surplied with the chip.

The View Askew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 05 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not buy a celeron. they are unupgradable. what you buy, you are stuck with. and they are disgustingly slow. I would rather have no pc. I'm perfectly happy with my Compaq Presario Pentium 4 2.4Ghz.
512mb of RAM, Geforce fx5200. No way a powerful system. but this does the job as this isn't the pc I use for gaming. This is my office/net/msn comp. Oh and the X-fi.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 16:27 - 05 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had a 1.8GHZ Celeron, my motherboard was still upgradeable to a P4 2.4Ghz. Smile
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

izzi81
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:38 - 05 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the help guys Smile I think I will spend a bit more and get a pentium, probably from dell as they seem to have the best offers at the moment

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:33 - 06 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do buy from Dell, Avoid phoning them like the plague! Do it all online. I've yet to talk to someone from Dell who can speak coherent English. I've nothing against foreigners (my dad is one) but if you can barely speak english, what the hell are you doing working in a call centre for the Uk market? I'm currently 'trying' to buy a laptop off them at the moment and they are not making it easy for me. Evil or Very Mad

John C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:30 - 06 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current breed of Intel Pentium 4 are quite good:

- Pentium 4 630 (3.0 GHz) – FSB800 - 2MB L2 cache - £100 approx.
- Pentium 4 640 (3.2 GHz) – FSB800 - 2MB L2 cache - £126 approx.
- Pentium 4 650 (3.4 GHz) – FSB800 - 2MB L2 cache - £175 approx.
- Pentium 4 660 (3.6 GHz) – FSB800 - 2MB L2 cache - £250 approx.
- Pentium 4 670 (3.8 GHz) – FSB800 - 2MB L2 cache - £380 approx.

All feature H.T. technology and are 64bit compatable so should still be usable in a good few years time.

I bought a 640 about 6 months ago for £147. It's quite stable clocked up to 3.6GHz with an extra case fan. It copes well with processor intensive tasks like 3D rendering, digital imaging and video editing.

There are probably better (and cheaper) AMD's out there, but If you've always had Intel and want to stick with what you know, you can't go far wrong with the 640.

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:00 - 06 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentiums are old hat now, Intel Core Duo's are where its at.

John C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:35 - 06 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig- wrote:
Pentiums are old hat now, Intel Core Duo's are where its at.

But how much are these going to cost? P4's the way to go for the average jo who wants an intel. Especially with the new processors being released, they'll be bargins a plenty with hundreds of thousands of 'old' chips that need to be sold.

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:41 - 06 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still happy with my 3Ghz P4 and cant see any reason to upgrade at the moment. Very Happy

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:50 - 06 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsxrmick wrote:
I'm still happy with my 3Ghz P4 and cant see any reason to upgrade at the moment. Very Happy

Saying that I am happy with my 1GHz Motorola G4, not felt the need to upgrade for over 2 years now. Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 27 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1