Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Porsche MotoGP Bike next year?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 10 Mar 2006    Post subject: Porsche MotoGP Bike next year? Reply with quote

I just stumbled on a very interesting rumour. Smile

Quote:
https://www.motoreview.net/images/stories/misc/thumbnails/thumb_image00001_1.jpg

There are some strong rumours currently of a Porsche MotoGP bike which could be lining up on the grid as early as 2007. Little is known yet about Porsche's venture into motorbike racing but a working prototype has been built and has already undergone some preliminary testing.

Full Article

Last edited by Dom on 17:00 - 10 Mar 2006; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Adam_P
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:53 - 10 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there has been some grasping at straws with the facts in that article.

For a start, Gulf aren't long term sponsors of Porsches, they just had an iconic livery at Le Mans for a few years and people remember it.

The article was also written by an italian website, hardly a basis for factual reporting... Rolling Eyes Laughing

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:57 - 10 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long term simply means a long time, and that's the truth is it not? Not too important either way, frankly. Also I wouldn't have posted half of that if it was just based on heresay from an Italian website - most of what I mentioned has come first hand from the MotoGP paddock. It is a rumour, but a substantiated one.

TOM M
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:30 - 11 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be awesome. Wonder if ferrari, lambourghini etc would follow suit.

Arent BMW supposed to be lining up in bike racing soon???

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 06:19 - 11 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOM M wrote:
Arent BMW supposed to be lining up in bike racing soon???

Read the article, it says they were planning on it and built a prototype but are now more interested in using the bike to improve their technology on the road bikes.

As for the porsche bike an 800 cc V3 block, i reckon that'll sound the dogs. I look forward to seeing what they come out with.

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 11 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Porsche worth it's salt would be without a flat 6. Except a VW beetle.

Small luxury car manufacturers bankrolled by larger companies (Aston and ford, Bentley,Porsche,Lamborghini and VW, Rolls Royce and BMW) are finding a huge sales increase. The bubble will pop sooner or later, and flamboyancies like Moto GP racing will only catalyse the process.

It's a nice idea, but it's just not right. They shouldn't have built the cayenne, and they shouldn't go bike racing.

Jack
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 20:16 - 11 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

A succesful bike team could spout road bikes Smile.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

SoND
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:01 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If porsche had a road bike it would be just as rare as an MV or a Benelli.

Would like to see what they come up with.

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:15 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

wave2k wrote:

Not a big fan of sports on TV, especially racing Embarassed More intrested now for looking at techinsues etc. I actually went onto the Prton cars website to see if they were producing any bikes Shifty The answer is actually .... NO Thumbs Down

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:15 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's a nice idea, but it's just not right. They shouldn't have built the cayenne, and they shouldn't go bike racing.

Yeah, just like lamborghini should never of stopped making tractors and gone into sportscars Rolling Eyes

Some people have some weird ideas.

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilredmachine wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, just like lamborghini should never of stopped making tractors and gone into sportscars Rolling Eyes

Some people have some weird ideas.

But that's a story of one guy getting pissed off with a Ferrari gearbox, and then being told to bugger off and do better by Enzo.

Porsche bike racing would be a story of money.

Jack
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Adam_P
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:49 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dom wrote:
Long term simply means a long time, and that's the truth is it not? Not too important either way, frankly. Also I wouldn't have posted half of that if it was just based on heresay from an Italian website - most of what I mentioned has come first hand from the MotoGP paddock. It is a rumour, but a substantiated one.

Which part of 'Gulf are not long term/time sponsors of Porsche' did you not understand? They've sponsored them once, many, many years ago. But the bikes look nice in the pictures, don't you think? (Please get the hint, from a PR standpoint, a Gulf liveried bike with Porsche attached to it, will get media interest, I am being sarcastic here.. Wink )

Like I said, that article is clutching at straws. I'll believe more when I've seen pictures of a Porsche test hack.

It's an Italian website, they'll be looking for (or usually making them up) stories to out do rivals. It happens a lot in internet news sites, especially in MotoGP as the Italians are manic for it.

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:53 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll admit I was having a shitty day on Friday and that response didn't make a whole lot of sense. Laughing

What I will reiterate, is which part of 'most of what I mentioned has come first hand from the MotoGP paddock' did you not understand? Razz It's a rumour that, frankly, I can't believe is likely to go beyond just a rumour, personally. But it isn't one started by an Italian website.

Adam_P
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the article again on the MotoGP website that you found the article on.

They have taken the article from Racer GP website.

So, the MotoGP site took it from the italian one.

Like I said, its common in the media Dom, I do it for living... Wink Razz

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:03 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam_P wrote:
If you look at the article again on the MotoGP website that you found the article on.

They have taken the article from Racer GP website.

So, the MotoGP site took it from the italian one.

Like I said, its common in the media Dom, I do it for living... Wink Razz

FFS! I did not first find out about this because of that article. I first found out about it from someone in the Jerez paddock. Can I be any clearer? Razz Wink

Edit: And to clarify something else - look at my sig. I wrote the damn article. Laughing

(And I do admit I took too much of what I was told, specifically the Gulf stuff, at face value. Should've researched it better.)

Adam_P
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't doubt Porsche have an interest in MotoGP, I think quite a few car manufacturers have eyes on it from afar. It's the best race series in the world! Wink

But coming from my point of view from sportscars, I can't see them getting involved (I could be very wrong, its not uncommon! Laughing Razz ) But they've just committed to a Le Mans Prototype and still have customers for other things and I'm not sure a MotoGP attack would be viable.

However, now you've got me thinking, if BMW are going to have a go, then it would make marketing sense (and PR sense) to at least have a story about interest or intentions, especially within the German media... Thinking Thumbs Up

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:06 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sceptical too mate, but there's obviously some element of truth in it. Give it a few weeks and they'll probably either say yes they did build a prototype GP bike but that's as far as it's going or it'll turn out to be a rumour blown out of proportion. I can't imagine a Porsche lining up on the grid even in two years time, although stranger things have happened. Given that those 'in the know' are talking about it atm does give the thing some credibility (to the point I considered it newsworthy), but it definitely seems far-fetched.

We shall see. Smile

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:19 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

wave2k wrote:

That explains why we've yet to see an FP1 on the roads.....

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:48 - 13 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam_P wrote:
Which part of 'Gulf are not long term/time sponsors of Porsche' did you not understand? They've sponsored them once, many, many years ago.

https://www.arrakis.es/~luis.delapresa/img392.gif

Gulf Porsche in 2001 - link Wink

Also:

Quote:
It was in 1967 that Gulf Oil emerged on the international motor racing scene backing the JW Automotive partnership to race license-built Ford GT40 derivatives. In their first year, the Gulf-Mirages saw considerable success and laid the foundations for the switch to the pure GT40 in 1968. That year the team beat Porsche to the World Championship, Pedro Rodriguez and Lucien Bianchi winning the all-important Le Mans 24 Hours, a victory Jacky Ickx and Jackie Oliver repeated in 1969.

With the Porsche 917 entering the JWA stable, Gulf liveried 917's excelled in the two following years at Le Mans, the Attwood/Muller car finishing second in 1971. During this era the powder blue and orange colours became immortalised by the Steve McQueen movie, "Le Mans".

Gulf's third and last outright victory at Le Mans came in 1975, achieved with the French classic's most successful driver pairing of all time, Jacky Ickx and Derek Bell.

Gulf's involvement in world endurance racing over the decades has seen it linked not only to the sports leading technology but many of the world's top drivers and cars. Johansson Racing's Audi bids to continue Gulf's fine tradition.

Not *just* the once. Wink I'd rub it in further, but given I blindly accepted it as truth in the first place I don't think I'm in a position to. Laughing

(Btw I'm not a sad git who's been looking that up, someone posted it in a forum thread that linked to my article.)

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 13:53 - 13 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame your Gulf "Porsche" is actually an Audi.

As stated a few time's in your link. Wink Laughing

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:57 - 13 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reuben wrote:
Shame your Gulf "Porsche" is actually an Audi.

As stated a few time's in your link. Wink Laughing

LOl yeah, it's an audi R8. The last porsche to go to le Mans was in 99 i think.

Does it also mean Ford would be sponsored by gulf if they went bike racing, too?

Jack

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 13 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMAO. Laughing I should've known babelfish translations of a genius from a dutch message board were not a good source.

Don't worry, I'll leave my post up as a testament to my stupidity. Razz

I'm not what you might call an expert when it comes to car racing. Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 47 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1