Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Anyone in the TA?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:40 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Anyone in the TA? Reply with quote

Hi, is anyone on here currently serving in the TA? I left the Air Force a couple of years ago, and have been considering the TA ever since.

I have the option of joining a RAC unit near me, or going a bit further afield and joining the REME, the regiment I originally applied for when I went to join the regulars. I joined the RAF instead, serious mistake!

I was just after a few more details really. What the routine's like, what you get up to on a parade evening, how fat you can get away with being, etc,etc.

Cheers guys and gals. Wink

"THOSE WHO RISK NOTHING, DO NOTHING, ACHIEVE NOTHING, BECOME NOTHING."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 11:15 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
The TA is great fun however bear in mind they are currently sending a lot of TA members fo to Iraq and Afghanistan. There are guys who've only done a 4 day Combat infantry mans course heading to the fron tlines as we speak Shocked and I personally find that terrifying as a regualr soldier gets six months training before even being considered for field ops.

I was trying for the Parachute regiment reserves and a back injury was going to prevent me from doing P coy so I jacked mid way during the Combat infantryman course as I wouldn't have got to do p company yet I would have been qualified to serve. To be in a position where you can serve after a total of 14 days training struck me as ludicrous.

The TA is fantastic, but bear in mind that you are becoming a soldier and could end up somewhere you don't want to be....a lot of guys just seem to think their playing oy soldiers but the army most certainly has other plans for the TA at the moment!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:12 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arses

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:58 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in the TA, Royal Green Jackets a few years back. I jacked because some of the utterly moronic PSIs seemed to think it was out of order me having a job that might interfere with some of my evenings / weekends. Pointing out that the TA was more of a hobby (regardless of how serious I took it) and that it didn't pay my rent didn't seem appropriate! Anyway, I'm not being negative - I'd still be in if my schedule had been less "clutered". It's a good laugh, but Monday morning's are hard work when you've spent all weekend being beasted up and down a field and you have to get up for work!

On the call up front, my brother's in the Royal Engineers (TA) and has been in for about 17 years. He got a nice five month TOD in Kuwait/Iraq when it kicked off last. They can only call you up once every three years though (I think, from memory).

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:55 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work shifts. I do 3 days, 3 nights, 3 off. The guy I spoke to said it wouldn't be a problem, but it would take longer to get through training.

I expect this is just recruitment bullsh*t to get my squiggle on the dotted line.

I would love to do it, and going away for a while wouldn't be a huge problem for me. I kind of regret not making more of an effort to get myself to the gulf when the war started. My sqn asked for volunteers for a 2 week detachment, and like a muppet, I held back so I didn't go away from the Mrs.

I will wait until after my wedding in July, and see what I can do about my shifts. The thought of joining and becoming tank crew is whetting my appetite!

Cheers all. Thumbs Up

"THOSE WHO RISK NOTHING, DO NOTHING, ACHIEVE NOTHING, BECOME NOTHING."

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 00:13 - 15 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlnicholsony2k wrote:
The thought of joining and becoming tank crew is whetting my appetite!

Just make sure they do have vehicles before you join.

I joined my dads old squadren in croydon which he was at for 15 years up to 1995 when they lost all there vehicles, they used to have over 200 men in the squadren and about 10-15 ferret armoured cars and about 6-8 Fox armoured cars plus varoius recovery vehicles for the REME section and spartan APC,s. they now have only about 30-40 men in the squadren and four landrovers, which is one of the reasons l left after 8 months the whole thing was boring and the 8 months l was there and the numberous weekends a two weeks l was away for l never even got to go in an armoured vehicle even though we were surposed to be changeller 2 crew, we were cavarly who had no horses.
Rolling Eyes

Don,t let that put you off though just make sure its a desent place your joining that does have desent kit to play with. Smile
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV

proximity
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 01:42 - 15 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im in the logistics at loughborough (training to be a driver). I love it, its great fun, you dont have to be THAT fit to get in, the basic test is to run 1.5 miles in under 13 minutes, which should be a peice of cake.

Training nights vary from weapons training, first aid, PT, vehicle maintenance etc.

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:42 - 15 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My BMI is now into triple figures I think. Shocked

If only I could find the motivation to get off my fat arse.

One day, maybe. Rolling Eyes

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 14:02 - 15 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

out of interest, what made you leave the RAF?
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:17 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do I start!

Basically. I always wanted to join the Army. Always. Then, after a couple of trips to the recruitment office, my Dad suddenly decided that the RAF would be a better bet. C*nt.

I was 17 and had to have his signature, and the arsehole wouldn't budge. I wasn't willing to spend another year at home either.

So I joined thr RAF, and kind of liked it, but was still peaved with my Dad. Then I met Sam, my fiancee, and decided that I would rather start a life with her then live the life my Dad manufactured for me. I did my minimum time, and then PVR'd. (Premature Voluntary Release)

I was told by everyone I'ld regret it, and 18 months after leaving, I don't. I miss the forces way of life a little, would wouldn't give up my new life for anything.

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 10:00 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlnicholsony2k wrote:
The thought of joining and becoming tank crew is whetting my appetite!

Tanks are the best, i drove a challenger 2 when i was 13 and nearly crashed it into a tree. Embarassed

https://www.mark-tate.co.uk/Random%20Stuff/slides/Surfs%20Up.jpeg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 47 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1