Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

accessing and editing a database via a webpage

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

WavyGravy
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:23 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: accessing and editing a database via a webpage Reply with quote

Can it be done?

briefly, I want the ability for someone to log in via a webpage, access a database, and make changes/ add records .... I have a knowledge of HTML and can use dreamweaver MX for the project ... would the solution be best done in XML? or does anyone have any suggestions/examples/templates?

Many thanks in advance

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 13:27 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

phpMyAdmin

Quote:
phpMyAdmin is a tool written in PHP intended to handle the administration of MySQL over the Web. Currently it can create and drop databases, create/drop/alter tables, delete/edit/add fields, execute any SQL statement, manage keys on fields, manage privileges,export data into various formats and is available in 50 languages. GPL License information.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:30 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Certainly possible to do, depending on how powerful you need it to be.

There are tools around that enable you to have full control over a database from a web page, but hardly something that you would use for general access.

Generally you will be using a system written in something like php or asp to interrogate / update a database (such as a MySQL database) in response to an HTML form and then generate the reply HTML document the user sees.

All the best

Keith

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:34 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need download these..

Apache
MySQL
PHP

PHP.net contains lots of info you need to get up and running, it's not for the faint hearted tho.

Sorry I'm being vague, I assume you know stuff, so I'm trying not to type too much Smile

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 15:46 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really dislike phpmyadmin... the scripts it creates almost always have to be hacked to make them work without errors. Very Happy

a

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 15:58 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

feef wrote:
I really dislike phpmyadmin... the scripts it creates almost always have to be hacked to make them work without errors. Very Happy

a

You must be doing something funny then. I've been using it for years, and I've never had any problems.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 16:02 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki wrote:
feef wrote:

a

You must be doing something funny then. I've been using it for years, and I've never had any problems.

we've got mixed MySQL versions between development, staging and live environments...

I'd love to get everything runnung the same, but it's jjust not happening atm.

a

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 16:08 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

feef wrote:
we've got mixed MySQL versions between development, staging and live environments...

Surely the whole point of development and testing is that they're all running the same versions as your live environment.

Aren't you testing things so that you know they'll work in live? Confused

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 16:29 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki wrote:
feef wrote:

Surely the whole point of development and testing is that they're all running the same versions as your live environment.

Aren't you testing things so that you know they'll work in live? Confused

don't get me started.. you're preaching to the converted Neutral

we're developing new stuff on 4.14 and 5.x, but then have to bugfix stuff that's running on 3.x

and the JDO stuff some of nthe java guys use trys to use datatypes that don't exist prior to 5.x (but that's a differnt issue)

a

WavyGravy
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:02 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers folks, looks like a lot of the hard work can be done from within dreamweaver mx .... just need to make sure i have the right packages on the server so it can all interract, looks like the hard part will be the behind the scenes work configuring the packages to make the process as transparent as possible to the end users
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 37 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1