Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Important question...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

innominate
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:38 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Important question... Reply with quote

Can you put Pyrex casserole dishes straight onto a gas hob?

Or am I likely to never post again after having the entire front of my body shredded by flying borosilicate glassware?

BTW Google was no help, so asking here Very Happy

NVM gonna do it anyway, so if I dont post again my kitchenware killed me.
I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the customs agent. I am the coast-guard. I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:39 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes

innominate
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:07 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt die.

GET IN Laughing
I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the customs agent. I am the coast-guard. I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:52 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wots cookin dooood?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:04 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just gonna say, don't take it from the oven and put it straight onto a COLD metal hob. Switch on the heat first.

stinkwheel
Uses cast iron pots,
the pot of choice for the serious cook.

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:06 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

innominate wrote:
I didnt die.

GET IN Laughing

Damn.

I could've run over to your house in about 3 minutes and corpse-humped you.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:25 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I was just gonna say, don't take it from the oven and put it straight onto a COLD metal hob. Switch on the heat first.

stinkwheel
Uses cast iron pots,
the pot of choice for the serious cook.

Le Creuset?
Of course. Laughing

innominate
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:04 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cast iron would be nicer to look at.
But I only had Pyrex for last nights culinary experiments.

Its was Muossaka btw.
& it was v tasty, although a little on the sloppy side.
veeeffarr This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

innominate
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:20 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
innominate wrote:
Cast iron would be nicer to look at.
But I only had Pyrex for last nights culinary experiments.

Its was Muossaka btw.
& it was v tasty, although a little on the sloppy side.

Like your mum's O-Ring.

I find that in particularly bad taste Twisted Evil

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 10:22 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did you need to put it on the hob? You do moussaka in the oven surely?

I use a pyrex dish for moussaka.

I use my Le Creuset caserole dish on the hob. Cast iron for the win! \o/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

akaDAVE
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:04 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing you DO NOT want to do is put plates on an electric oven element and wack it up to maximum for 10mins....as my girlfriend has learnt.
The bright spark did this once to 'warm up' the plates.
Just as I bent over the pan to sample my curry, a plate exploded next to it (very loudly) sending bits of it all over the place.
Of course I jerked my head back instantly, slamming it into the extractor fan above, cutting my head and dropping the filter cover straight into the curry! Mad

This woman's place is not in a kitchen. She will leave something cooking away on maxumum setting and thinks that setting the oven timer somehow magically governs the process to cook food within that time.

Rant over.

innominate
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:10 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki wrote:
Why did you need to put it on the hob? You do moussaka in the oven surely?

I use a pyrex dish for moussaka.

I use my Le Creuset caserole dish on the hob. Cast iron for the win! \o/

The recipee said simmer for an hour before constructing and placing in the oven for a further hour.

Seemed to work OK.

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 11:16 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

innominate wrote:
The recipee said simmer for an hour before constructing and placing in the oven for a further hour.

Seemed to work OK.

Fair enough. Smile

I kind of assumed you'd do the simmering bit in a different pan to the dish you'd construct it in.

Like when I make lasagne. Cook the mince in a wok. Make the sauce in a pan. Then put it all together with the pasta in the pyrex lasagne dish. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:57 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beauty with a cast iron one is you can brown off your onions and meat in it, deglaze, stick the rest of the ingredients in and put the whole lot in the oven. Spreads the heat a lot better than pyrex so your food cooks evenly.

Also has the benefit of being able to clean it with a wire brush/emery paper if you bake bits of food to it.

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:59 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
The beauty with a cast iron one is you can brown off your onions and meat in it, deglaze, stick the rest of the ingredients in and put the whole lot in the oven. Spreads the heat a lot better than pyrex so your food cooks evenly.

Also has the benefit of being able to clean it with a wire brush/emery paper if you bake bits of food to it.

I agree, cast iron for the win.

Bollocks to all this teflon crap as well Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 46 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1