Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New brakes!!!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Show & Tell by Korn (19 Mar 2006 - 13:45)
View previous topic : View next topic  

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:56 - 12 Feb 2006    Post subject: New brakes!!! Reply with quote

Hi,

Spent yesterday afternoon fitting Nissin 4-pots to the ZZR with babykat250 from this forum (OK - so he did it and I helped). Wasn't a great day to do it but we got there!

Brakes are razor sharp now - going to have to take it easy until I get used to them!

Took some photos too. You can see the state of the original Tokicos in the first couple of pics. The right side caliper had 2 pistons siezed and the result is an unevenly worn pad, which is actually down to bare metal at one end Shocked Embarassed

https://www.mark.ssebroadband.co.uk/brakes/oldcaliper1.jpg
https://www.mark.ssebroadband.co.uk/brakes/oldcaliper2.jpg

I only got this bike last July, and to be honest I knew the brakes were needing some attention. But it only cost £900 so can't really complain. So that's why I decided just to bin the old calipers (actually, babykat250 took them to refurb Thumbs Up). I've had the Nissins sitting here since November, but just didn't have the confidence to do it myself.

This is the brake bleeder kit we used from Halfords (£9.99). Was quite handy and easy to use. Could use it myself in the future. Basically it's 2 pieces of tubing, one long and one short. Short one is of a smaller diameter which goes on the bleed nipple end, and long one into the waste container. The main component is a one-way valve, so easy to use as you just leave the nipple open Thumbs Up Pretty simple idea and seemed to work pretty well.

Photo of bleeder kit:

https://www.mark.ssebroadband.co.uk/brakes/bleeder.jpg

The Nissins came from a Fireblade. I bought them from ebay for around £30. Photos of new calipers fitted:

https://www.mark.ssebroadband.co.uk/brakes/fitted1.jpg
https://www.mark.ssebroadband.co.uk/brakes/fitted2.jpg

Also treated the bike to a new screen fitting kit (the old ones were blue and I managed to lose a couple one day).

https://www.mark.ssebroadband.co.uk/brakes/screen.jpg

All done and bike ready to go:

https://www.mark.ssebroadband.co.uk/brakes/readytogo.jpg

Learned a lot yesterday and confident enough to do it myself next time Thumbs Up

The system was refilled with Castrol Response DOT 4 brake fluid Thumbs Up

Thanks a lot Simon - your help was much appreciated! (and to my brother Brian for being the Brolly Dolly) Thumbs Up Smile

https://www.mark.ssebroadband.co.uk/brakes/theworkers.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 19:00 - 12 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I remember you banging on about this months ago Shocked

Congrats mate Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:03 - 12 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff.

Budget for a reverse bleeding kit though, I've had enough of doing it the normal way, right pain in the t*ts. Evil or Very Mad Wink

Is this the first time the zzr has been moved for 5 months then? Wink

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:05 - 12 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGee wrote:
Wow I remember you banging on about this months ago Shocked

Yeah... remember talking to you in IRC about it. Think I had just bought the new calipers then. Was around November Thumbs Up

Glad it's finally done Dance!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 19:06 - 12 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You gonna paint them or leave them plain ?

Tis a nice bike in silver.

Last edited by McGee on 19:07 - 12 Feb 2006; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:07 - 12 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

instigator wrote:
Is this the first time the zzr has been moved for 5 months then? Wink

No...... been to Perth a few times over the winter.

Those pistons have probably been siezed since I bought the bike!!! Laughing

All that crud didn't just build up from it not getting used much for a few months Confused That's years of neglect.

I'm under strict orders to look after these ones, eh Simon? Laughing

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:09 - 12 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGee wrote:
You gonna paint them or leave them plain ?

Tis a nice bike in silver.

Leaving them plain. Although, when they put these calipers on the 600RR they were gold. Looked nice in gold. Might do. Watch this space.

The old ones were tacky blue, and badly done too Confused (not by me!)

Thanks - I like it in silver too Thumbs Up Smile

Aikman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:24 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you have a small bit of Fireblade-ie goodness stuck to your bike - feel proud Laughing

Seriously though, an nice job well done mate!

kat250
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:05 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta say it was an easy enough job apart from the rain the tiredness and the cold Laughing . But im sure once they are bolted up and a quick bleed again youll have super snatchy breaks. Stoppies anyone Thumbs Up Laughing

Jrod
Page 3 Girl

PostPosted: 01:10 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, do you know what year bike the calipers were off? was it just a straight bolt on mod?

Thanks!

kat250
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:12 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think he said the calipers we put on were off of a 98 blade i have a spare set here. The mounting bolts are 65mm eye to eye i think not entirely sure. They will be for sale soon if you want to pick up abit of a bargain Wink .

Edit. They were just a straight bolt on but need to get new caliper mounting bolts as the ones that came with the callipers are to short.

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:17 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zxr400er wrote:
Hi, do you know what year bike the calipers were off? was it just a straight bolt on mod?

They were from a 1998 Fireblade. Also these are the same calipers which are fitted to the 2003 CBR600RR I believe (before they changed to radial brakes).

They are 65mm from centre to centre on the mounting bolts, and were a simple bolt-on to the ZZR Thumbs Up

I got the info from www.zzr-international.co.uk forum (good site for Kwak owners Thumbs Up).

The Tokico 6-pots from the K1 Gixxer 1000 also have a 65mm fitting I believe, although these calipers are harder to find (and more expensive too).

Hope this helps Smile

kat250
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:19 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^

Abit late mark Laughing

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:29 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, just noticed Laughing

Knowledge is power and all that, it's all good Thumbs Up Smile

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 02:09 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 600rr ones are the same fitment as SP1 and RVF400.

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:45 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

maurice wrote:
The 600rr ones are the same fitment as SP1 and RVF400.

Good to know Thumbs Up

Maybe we should put together a list of bikes and which calipers can be fitted to them?

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 09:44 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fit early Blades too Wink

https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y51/whers84/frontendblade.jpg

minesweeper
Whoah there!

PostPosted: 10:06 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

2001 rry Blades are direct bolt on to rvf's Smile add galfers,braided hose's and ohlins for giant killing fun.

https://www.bikepics.com/pics/pics/honda-rvf400-96-bikepics-480203.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jimb0b
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:36 - 18 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,I have just purchased a pair of prestine cbr900 calipers with brand new pads in them Smile like the ones you used for my zzr.I was so glad to find this post my brakes have given me hell over the years.
I've offered them up and they seem to fit perfectly but i'm having trouble sourcing some bolts,only things i can get were i live are not so sturdy looking allen bolts which i don't trust.

Did you get the bolts local to you or mail order that you used?

Also what did you pack the bolt holes with? can't seem to find a sleeve thats just right.Just wondered if there was something easily located i could use instead of getting some made.

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:07 - 19 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered bolts from ebay. Not bothered with spacers, although will get them made up at some point Thumbs Up Talked to a few guys who never bothered with spacers and haven't had any problems. Should get them fitted though.

Glad this thread has helped out someone else though, I found this information on www.zzr-international.co.uk and I'm just passing it on Thumbs Up Smile

All the best, and enjoy your new brakes (just be careful at first Wink )

--
Mark

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 04:59 - 19 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

minesweeper wrote:
2001 rry Blades are direct bolt on to rvf's Smile add galfers,braided hose's and ohlins for giant killing fun.

You ponce!

Go on then how much did all those little toys cost?

minesweeper
Whoah there!

PostPosted: 05:29 - 19 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

to much... the galfers alone are 400 then add the calipers plus mastercylinder, total stripping of the front end and rebuild with ohlins internals by g-france, braided hoses, rcv mudguard.... Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 14:41 - 19 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still i bet it was all worth it, the bike looks like it'll stop on a penny!

riichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:12 - 19 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigs23 wrote:

thoughs down pipes are like mirrior's Shocked
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 44 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1