Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Distance Learning

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 02:42 - 15 Mar 2006    Post subject: Distance Learning Reply with quote

wondering if anyone here has used distance learning to gain some qualifications, and how succesful they have found it

personally, was thinking about taking some A levels in the nearish future, as I flunked all mine at the time, but now feel that i would be more motivated, mature and interested enough to put the time in, and could take them one at a time rather than be forced to do 3 or 4 at once

want it mainly for the personal development/interest rather than looking for careers or university courses out of it, would be nice to have some on my CV

anyone else gone down a similar road?
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:46 - 15 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My distance learning consisted of me standing outside of French class due to the fact we were watching Twin Peaks on non uniform day, and I asked when were we going to see the female leads twin peaks.

Heard Open Uni is good.

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:40 - 15 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAF used distance learning while I was in.

I have such a pathetic level of self motivation that I achieved fuck all.

In 2 years, I half completed one assignment, and someone else did that for me. Rolling Eyes

What a lazy loser I am! Laughing

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:05 - 15 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works for me! Thumbs Up I did an OU foundation course a few years ago, that was really good as they send you all the basic material you need plus you get regular feedback from a tutor (who you send your work to) and on the course I was on a weekly summer school to meet others doing the same subject. Suppose that one might be a bit difficult for you though 'goose!Never finished the degree cos my employer (who was paying for it at the time) fucked up the payments and I couldn't do the next year...maybe one day....

I also did my professional qualifications for the Institute of Credit Managers via distance learning. Had to be a lot more disciplined myself for this one as there was no assigned tutor or marking of my coursework and all results hinged on the final exam. Struggled a bit at first "oh I'll do some tomorrow" then suddenly "oh shit the exam's next week" but got my head around the amount of effort required eventually, to the extent that I am now doing further professional qualifications with the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants the same way and so far have passed all the exams first time (touch wood, got another on Friday)!

It's really up to you. In my own opinion you can't have enough qualifications and I actually enjoy learning so it's all good. Couldn't you do A levels and some other stuff with the Navy though? That might be good..... oh, and you dion't need A-levels to do an OU course, just an interest in the subject matter and enough money to pay for it.

Katie
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:56 - 15 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started doing A level English and Psychology with ICS. The packs you get with the work, and the feedback on how you're doing is all brilliant, you have everything you need. It just didn't work for me though, I got bored and frustrated doing it from home and didn't finish them. I imagine it would be quite hard to do if you work full time but if you're dedicated enough, I'm sure you could. I've kept all the Psychology work and still read it because I find it so interesting. Laughing

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:07 - 15 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I do a degree from Open Uni, is it worth the same as a degree I would do at Uni?

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:16 - 15 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
If I do a degree from Open Uni, is it worth the same as a degree I would do at Uni?

If you mean not very much , then yes the value is the same , darn my cynicism,

Though working FT and doing study does look good on your CV , and you can always top up your OU degree course thing , I recall this girl who worked as a cashier in Barclays , she did an OU and did a final year in university and came out with a full degree.

Though your milage may vary , though I'd say so something which results in a job ie

engineering = engineer

etc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 13:59 - 15 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

babyyam wrote:
oh, and you dion't need A-levels to do an OU course, just an interest in the subject matter and enough money to pay for it.

thats interesting, i thought it was all a question of points (i've never understood the ucas system or anything relating to it) in that if you didnt have enough points you couldnt start on the course?
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:03 - 15 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless they've changed it recently (it was 5 years ago when I did mine) there were no formal entrance requirements and you didn't need any UCAS points or anything.

SP2Rus
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:04 - 18 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:

Yes it is worth the same as degree from a 'bricks n mortar' uni. Check out the ou website https://www.open.ac.uk and see for yourself. There are literally hundreds of courses to choose from, and there are other quals on offer as well, not just degrees. As was stated earlier, a lot of employers consider people who take the time to gain additional qualifications whilst working full time as a positive step toward self improvement. Its also a lot cheaper as well, the average course costs around £3-400, so a basic degree will be around £1500, compare that to the cost of full time university tuition fees and its a bargain. Having done this myself, and in my last year of study, i can thoroughly recommend the OU.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:03 - 19 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

babyyam wrote:
Unless they've changed it recently (it was 5 years ago when I did mine) there were no formal entrance requirements and you didn't need any UCAS points or anything.

the problem is that biggie employers like KPMG , E&Y , PWC etc want UCAS points for their potential employee.

Last check was 24 points so UCAS points might mean squat for OU (though I'm not dissing the OU since its quite good) but may influence the far future.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 44 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1