Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Medical research volunteers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

TOM M
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:09 - 18 Mar 2006    Post subject: Medical research volunteers Reply with quote

Basically i need to earn a bit of cash to afford the accomodation for my 2nd year at uni next year.
Ive heard that by volunteering to do medical research that you can earn quite a lot of money by basically being a "guinea pig" in thier experiments / trials.

Does anyone know how to get started in this as im very tempted.

Cheers
Tom

daz|n00by
The Internet

PostPosted: 18:20 - 18 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a word with this guy! i think he has an address Wink

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 18:31 - 18 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go Wink

https://www.drugtrial.co.uk/default.ihtml?step=4&pid=4
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:31 - 18 Mar 2006    Post subject: Re: Medical research volunteers Reply with quote

TOM M wrote:
Basically i need to earn a bit of cash to afford the accomodation for my 2nd year at uni next year.
Ive heard that by volunteering to do medical research that you can earn quite a lot of money by basically being a "guinea pig" in thier experiments / trials.

Does anyone know how to get started in this as im very tempted.

Cheers
Tom

Medeval , they always have a lab near universities cus they know students are poor and will do this sort of thing , there are 2 I know of , Manchester near moss side (presumablty sp its easy to dump bodies) behind the UoM big gate thingie used as their logo.

Bolton , nbear the out of town matalan.

Those medical research companies even advertise down the job centre as I saw one the other day for an incontinence drug , while down the job centre.

not that I'd do it though I was tempted , an Irish guy called Dermot used to do it he only ever did the low pay ones , like sedatives vs turbo chillies , though a few of his mates apparently got heart palpatations due to this , though he vanished (Dermot) without a trace about 9 months ago.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:33 - 18 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you didn't get the gist of my post it was geared towards:

do something else...

BanditBitch
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:49 - 19 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't believe your even considering it, after recent events:

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/19032006/344/drug-trial-four-continue-improve.html

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 18:55 - 19 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparantly all the publicity has been good for the industry - enquiries have rocketed, as greedy people tend to concentrate on the large fees, rather than the people suffering from multiple organ failure a mile and a half from where I'm sitting.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:28 - 19 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister James wrote:
Apparantly all the publicity has been good for the industry - enquiries have rocketed, as greedy people tend to concentrate on the large fees, rather than the people suffering from multiple organ failure a mile and a half from where I'm sitting.

Somehow I can evisage in the future people trying to sue those companies , them taking it to a court , the company holding up the waiver of rights and the poor sods getting hammered by the opposing lawyer for legal fees and being made ill.

Though there might be even more of those ill people out there since it is not inconcievable that the things they sign have gagging orders incase they go wrong.

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:41 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Combine drug trials with the benefits system. Thumbs Up

"Incapacity benefit for a bad back, mate? I'll book you an appointment with a research company."

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 01:21 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

BanditBitch wrote:

4 in how many tests?? Rolling Eyes

More people will be killed having sex in a day than how many people die taking research drugs.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:06 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

markcatate wrote:
BanditBitch wrote:

More people will be killed having sex in a day than how many people die taking research drugs.

dying isn't too much of a problem much as I have no problem being involved in a bike fatality not that I encourage it or anything, the problem is those who do not die,

ie you might not die from it but what if it causes something else?

its unknown how many people are ill by this research and this may partly be due to gagging orders as a condition of the contract.

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 10:39 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done them before. Got paid £3k for 21 days sat watching Sky and reading magazines.

Done other studies that involved no drugs, just sleeping. Went to work then down to the test place. Watched a film, got a take away, then back home in the morning and got paid £50 a night. A nice extra £250 a week tax free on top of my wages.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:53 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

£50 a night for sleeping? Whats the catch? Laughing

TheBoyChris
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:01 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think these are the unsung heroes of this day and age. Take an astronaught or a pop-star, they are commonly hitting the front page news, but the people who are actually trying to further medicine and make life better for the whole world...?

Forgotten, unless of course something goes wrong and it's a 'travesty'. Don't people realise that these people got paid one hell of a lot of money for this, that the drugs have been through as many tests as possible before they reach this stage, and that generally speaking the kind of occurance which hit the news recently was a very uncommon occurance?

Whilst I'd definately never do this I salute those who have the balls, and hope they get paid shit loads to do so - they're furthering society in a positive way unlike most of the so called 'heroes' of today which the media like to flaunt so much.

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:10 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I agree,

I think the recent tragedy highlights the need for this sort of study, they obviously knew the dangers before they went into it (Although I won't be surprised if there's an inquiry to the effect that the company didn't make them fully aware like the nanny state this place is now).

Brave people, don't know if i could do it, but the money is extremely tempting.

Psychological studies also pay AFAIK and most of them don't involve drugs, just tests and observations.

Skunkcap Freddie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:21 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

tender nipples and a stiff knob Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 15:27 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

One night I had to have a light shone into my eye for five minutes and then back to sleep, and one night I had to sleep with lights shining onto the back of my knees.

It was all to do with melatonin levels in your blood as you slept.

Also, I had to have a canula (sp?) in my arm throughout so they could take blood through the night - all done in pitch black as not to affect the light levels we were exposed to. One time they had to put a fresh canula in and I heard the nurse say "Oh sh!t" followed by a warm sensation over my forearm. Woke up in the morning to find my bed, arm and pillow covered in blood. Plus there was a scab about one foot round of my dried blood Laughing

Best thing about it was that we were paid in cash at the end and told not to go to the pub because we had donated quite a bit of blood. Got bloody pissed that day Thumbs Up

BanditBitch
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:52 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

markcatate wrote:
BanditBitch wrote:

I believe it was 6 actually.....

Just because this trial hit the headlines, doesnt mean there arnt many more people suffering adverse effects from other drug trials, that we never get to hear about !!

Kara
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:52 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Psychological studies also pay AFAIK and most of them don't involve drugs, just tests and observations

Very badly and they sometimes do involve drugs. I've been paid to get pissed before. It's normally about £50 max.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 21:03 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

the catch is they are testing the drugs for a reason. they dont know if they are safe

sometimes they arent safe and you might feel a bit poorly or fucking terrible or in some cases multiple organ failure in which case you may be pleading for the doctors to kill you it feels so bad

having said that the thought of easy money appeals so the idea does appeal to me

getting paid to get pissed sounds great though. ok not much money but hardly any risk at all

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:08 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skunkcap Freddie wrote:
Ste wrote:

tender nipples and a stiff knob Laughing

Again, where's the catch? Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 42 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1