BCF: Bike Chat Forums

My KLE

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:01 - 15 Mar 2006    Post subject: My KLE Reply with quote

I've been wanting to do some trail riding for AGES and now I've got a KLE and done some very basic stuff, I want more!

The KLE is a bit of a handful off road, it's so top heavy, and the OE tyres offer grip comparable to that of a teflon frying pan.

The problem is, I can't really afford a second bike for green laning, and can't sell the KLE for various reasons, so, is there anything I can do to make the KLE a worthy off road machine or am I fighting a lost cause?

Does anyone ever take these so called 'dual purpose' commuters green laning with any success?

Cheers guys. Thumbs Up

"THOSE WHO RISK NOTHING, DO NOTHING, ACHIEVE NOTHING, BECOME NOTHING."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:03 - 15 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the KLE I have by the way.

https://motoplanete.com/kawasaki/KLE500-2005.jpg

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:08 - 15 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are heavy bikes which is the problem but they share many cycle parts with the KLR650 which is sucessfully offroaded all over the world. KLRs are big heavy buggers as well mind.

For starters I would be getting some knobbly tyres.

MikeH
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:28 - 15 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taken mine laning twice now, once with a nearly bald road biased tyre. Did some forest tracks in North Wales which was not brilliant as it squirmed around all over the shop and I nearly dropped it on more than one occasion at stupidly slow speeds.

Last week I did some local lanes in the snow with my new Trailwing on the rear which isn't a full offroad tyre proper but the improvement was noticable and much more controllable.

For gentle bimbling on green lanes it's an OK bike but I wouldn't attempt anything severe without some serious tyres and jacking up the rear end to get some extra clearance as the belly pan bottoms out all over the place when you get into the ruts.

I agree it's too heavy really to chuck about like a scrambler, but then green laning isn't about speed that's for offroad courses and friendly farmers fields Wink

Give it ago, you'll be surprised what you can do on it, just be careful Thumbs Up

Mike

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:49 - 18 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the belly pan ground out, the problem is that if you do it with any force, it easily bends and leaves the sump plug exposed.

I hit the sump plug on a rock, but luckily didn't do any damage.

What would be the best tyres for it then?

I would have to get a second set of wheels, as I need some more road biased tyres for the daily commute, thatw ay, I could just swap them over whenever I fancy a dirty weekend. Wink

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:58 - 19 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been doing some thinking!

I've found some tyres that'll handle the dirty stuff, but will still get me to work in one piece, Michelin T63's apparantly.

I'm thinking of a few changes to the bike, that could all be done, and reversed within minutes to get the bike back to normal after a day out.

Whip off all the plastics and fairing, which takes about 3 minutes and fit a small off road headlight. Not looked into the fitting of this yet though, might have to bodge some brackets to adapt it.

Then have some ABS sheets pre cut to size that just cable tie on to the frame covering up exposed electrical bits and what have you.

Should save a shed load of weight, and after cleaning, the original panels can be refitted, (without any crash damage!) in just a matter of minutes and the bike is back to normal ready for work on monday morning!

That way, I can really go at the trails without worrying too much about smashing the panels to pieces. Won't make the bike indestructable by any means, but I think it would help a little.

MikeH
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:13 - 19 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your talking about legal trail riding i.e. green laning then you won't be doing anything damaging so I ask why ?

If your green laning then a set of on/off road trial type tyres should be fine (e.g. Bridgstone Trail Wings) and if things get that muddy and difficult then you shouldn't be there anyway as the lane is obviously damaged and shouldn't be riden or driven until it's had time to dry out and recover.
It's a sensitive subject, be careful you don't confuse green lane/trail riding with offroad riding they are two different things.

I can take you on many green lanes in Wales that you could do on a CG125 let alone a KLE Wink

Some examples below taken on and around the Wayfarer in Mid Wales, sorry 'bout the 4x4's but they're the only examples I've got on this PC at the minute but it gives you an idea.

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 19 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking at a few green laning forums and speaking to people at the TRF. I got the impression that the bike would almost certainly be on it's side at some point!

I don't want to be doing any off roading in that sense, you are quite right, the difference is vast. It's not the route I want to go down, not whilst I'm on the KLE anyway.

I am completely green on the subject, (excuse the pun) and so am looking for as much advice from experienced people as possible.

Do you frequent the trails in Wales or is it something you did a while ago? Would love to do some with someone who has experience, and you don't sound like a nutter either. Thats what has put me off the TRF a bit, they seem to go into the serious stuff a bit much, I'm just looking at having a bit of fun.

MikeH
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:05 - 19 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done loads of greenlaning in my Landrover over the last few years, but on the bike only a couple of gentle rides. TBH they are two very different experiences, the Landy tends to be me and a couple of mates trundling round in a small group in the middle of nowhere at 5 MPH in low ratio box enjoying the scenery and stopping for tea & cig breaks on remote hilltops.

The bike is difficult to ride at such slow speeds so you tend to ride a little bit quicker (20/25MPH tops) and can cover a lot more ground so less time to enjoy the scenery.

Depends what you want out of it, I just do it for something to do, no challenge as such just a nice ride out in gods country and a chance to explore new places.

I know quite a few trails around the Berwyn Mountains over by Chirk and Llangollen and also some down by Rhayader, The Elan Valley and Nant-Y-Moch Reservoir which I plan to do with a mate of mine one weekend when things warm up a bit and I can get the tent out.

I'll let you know if and when

Mike Thumbs Up

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:13 - 19 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you've hit the nail on the head for me there mate. Thumbs Up

I love off road driving, but can't realistically insure a 4x4 due to my age. I'm only 22. I used to drive and maintain the Land Rovers for my gliding club when I was in the RAF, and kind of fell in love with them. It's the simple ruggedness of them that impresses me.

I live quite near Rivington, so there are loads of trails around here, but I don't know which ones will have legal access or not with the current confusion with legislation.

If you are up for a trip then that would be great, just need a bit of notice to sort out work. Let me know if you do. Thumbs Up

MikeH
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:30 - 19 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlnicholsony2k wrote:

I live quite near Rivington, so there are loads of trails around here, but I don't know which ones will have legal access or not with the current confusion with legislation.

If you do want to find some local routes get an OS map of the area, pick out some routes, ring the local council offices and ask to speak with the rights of way office then if you give them the grid references of the tracks they will compare them to their definitive map and tell you whether or not they are open for traffic.

If I get chance I'll look up on my copy of memeory map and see what I can find up that way to get you started, just don't get tempted to go out on your own.

I'll let you know when I next plan to go out prob towards the end of April, normally Sundays are favourite for a day trip.

And your right I'm not a nutter, grown out of that, well nearly Wink

Mike

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:36 - 19 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant, 'tis greatly appreciated. Wink

April would be fine for the trip, would be a long day though, I'm north of Warrington!!!

The problem I have up here is that all my biking mates all ride road or sports bikes. I'm the only with with any dirty desires, (see what I did there! Wink ) Rolling Eyes

Anyway, it means that I either go on some gentle stuff on my todd, or don't go at all. Every point of reference for trail riding stipulates not to ride alone, and for good reason, but that kind of buggers me up a bit!

MikeH
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:21 - 19 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rivington down to Chirk is about 70miles so about 1.5hr each way so not too bad although a long way if you break anything in the day !! Have you got breakdowncover just incase that shiney new shape KLE falls to bits Mr. Green Wink

I'll do some thinking/digging, we might be able to sort a route out that goes a bit further up into North Wales so you've less mileage to get back, we could always make a weekend out of it and camp somewhere so there's not so much rush to get back.

Mike Thumbs Up

MikeH
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:13 - 19 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like there maybe a few lanes on your doorstep, although you need to check their status, basically look at the white roads with pink dots on, they are the most likely, like the one that runs past the tower. Also the one up to top of Winter Hill from Montcliffe is a likely candidate ? I don't know the area at all but thats the sort of thing I would be looking at on the OS map to find out more about.

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been on the dog & bone to a lovely guy from the TRF.

Basically, he told me to not bother on the KLE. He didn't say it was impossible, but I would have chunks missing from it on the first ride out. Shocked

Kind of confirms my thoughts on the TRF. Won't be ringing again until I buy a small 'crosser one day. With the wedding coming up, that won't be any time soon!

So, a few more phone calls, and some more web searching in order me thinks. I can't be the only guy on a bigger bike wanting some trails near here can I?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 44 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1