Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

My dog has injured herself.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

ZZR-Souls
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:11 - 26 Mar 2006    Post subject: My dog has injured herself. Reply with quote

My dog has injured herself escaping form the garden. We have high hedges all round but she will insist on climbing over and through them. Last night she escaped and it looks as thought she lost her footing whilst climbing and tore the skin on her tum.

Vet says we have to starve her for 24 hours before she has the anaesthetic for stitches. She's going in on monday.

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 26 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

my old spaniel jumped a spikey fence, landed on it, had to have 118 stitches across his tummy Shocked

this was wayyy before pet insurance was heard of.

couple of months later he bust his leg down a snow covered rabbit hole Rolling Eyes

cost one hell of alot of cash 10 years ago.

is your pooch insured?

Because we have the basic stuff here for the farm animals when roxie slit her eyelid I stitched the slit up myself. Teromyesin(sp) spray is good too (its the blue spray) for keeping wounds clean on stock (and pets) ask your vet for some as if she gets any more wounds, give em a squirt to keep infection out until she can go to the vets.

Last edited by Simple on 18:42 - 26 Mar 2006; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 18:19 - 26 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awwwww asshhhaaa pooor doggie!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SimonB
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:20 - 26 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my cat is on its way out hes 17 years old I've had him since I was four. He's going to the vets tomorrow and I bet he'll put him to sleep as hes having breathing problems again and not eating his food.

I feel really sad and I'm going to miss him. Sad

Hope your dog recovers well from the vets Thumbs Up that wound looks nasty.

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:27 - 26 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

SimonB wrote:
I think my cat is on its way out hes 17 years old I've had him since I was four. He's going to the vets tomorrow and I bet he'll put him to sleep as hes having breathing problems again and not eating his food.

I feel really sad and I'm going to miss him. Sad

Hope your dog recovers well from the vets Thumbs Up that wound looks nasty.

I'll save you the money bring him here.
Tis sad when pets get old Sad

Is weird only taking 2 dogs on walkies, Ben just can't keep up any more.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:39 - 26 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

That wound is not all that serious. We get lurchers in all the time with exactly the same ones from chasing rabbits through barbed wire fences.

Probably worth putting a couple of stitches in. In a quiet dog, I'd have done it under local anaesthetic, ten minutes in and out.

I have left MUCH bigger wounds than that to heal by themselves if they were contaminated with mud and dirt. Give them a clean up and some antibiotic cover and in a couple of weeks, you wouldn't know it had been there. You can't see the scar because of their fur.

Nothing to worry about.

ZZR-Souls
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:42 - 26 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your good wishes and advice.
She's a Lakeland Trail Hound and is a rescue centre dog. They are bred to follow an Aniseed trail for ten miles over the Cumbrian fells. They just run and go straight through most obstacles, hedges, streams and over dry stone walls. We have another and his name is Jackson, Jack when I'm trying to get him to obey, usually without success.

nrml76
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:31 - 26 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Probably worth putting a couple of stitches in.

Just out of curiosity, do you use skin glue for small wounds in animals? Would seem ideal in theory, but can it stand up to a vigorous licking?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:16 - 26 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afaik dogs saliva contains antiseptic properties.. or is that a load of crap?

Out dog tryed jumping the fence at the kenels and made it (no ther dog had in years they'd been there) and mad a propper mess Sad

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:22 - 26 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tears have anti-sheptic in them.
Our Lab climbed over a fence and got hooked on wire caught under his sternum. He was only a couple of months old but was wraped up in about 1' of elastoplast for a week.
BTW, ZZR-Souls, nice pooch she's lapping it up there on the good duvet too Thumbs Up

ZZR-Souls
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:01 - 26 Mar 2006    Post subject: Here's a picture of Jackson Reply with quote

This is Jackson.
He too is a Lakeland Trailhound-retired and rescued.
Note the "Mascara" around his eyes. Takes him ages to get ready in the mornings. Laughing Laughing

Trailhounds are bred from Foxhound, Greyhound and Bloodhound.
Fox hound gives the stamina, Greyhound gives them speed and Bloodhound makes them smell. I mean gives them an exceptional sense of smell. Embarassed Embarassed

Last edited by ZZR-Souls on 22:05 - 26 Mar 2006; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:02 - 26 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alice Cooper's Mutt Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:18 - 26 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

nrml76 wrote:

Just out of curiosity, do you use skin glue for small wounds in animals? Would seem ideal in theory, but can it stand up to a vigorous licking?

Not very often, more due to unfamiliarity rather than anything. Surgical staples would be ideal but they are really expensive.

biker-dj
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:20 - 26 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your dog Souls, I hope she gets better soon Thumbs Up

chrisbgy86
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:22 - 27 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey SimonB- any chance of an update on your cat?

I have an old cat aswell and i can sympathise with how you are feeling.

ZZR-Souls
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:14 - 27 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

She had her operation today. The vet said it was so close to her nipple that he had to remove the nipple and mammery gland as well. She is on a course of antibiotics and has to go back for a check up on Thursday. She has the dreaded trumpet round her neck too.
Fingers crossed that all will be OK.
Thanks for all your good wishes.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:19 - 27 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most trailhound owners I know wouldn't even have brought that wound to me unless it was looking infected. They heal well.

ZZR-Souls
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:24 - 27 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Most trailhound owners I know wouldn't even have brought that wound to me unless it was looking infected. They heal well.

That's reasssuring M8. Thanks
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 37 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1