BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Easy Tiger

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

spitfire
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:55 - 29 Mar 2006    Post subject: Easy Tiger Reply with quote

I heard there is a good shot of the new Triumph Tiger in MCN today, has anyone seen the article? What do they say about it?

Cheers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:40 - 30 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably Shite.
I have an ST. Crying or Very sad
I'd go for the unfeasably cumbersome Ubertrailie GS but I'm not that easy to get along with. I was told. Laughing
I do not know who/what/why MCN is either. I do know that we/most, @bcf, spit before saying MCN. Laughing

spitfire
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:19 - 30 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:
Probably Shite.
I have an ST. Crying or Very sad
I'd go for the unfeasably cumbersome Ubertrailie GS but I'm not that easy to get along with. I was told. Laughing
I do not know who/what/why MCN is either. I do know that we/most, @bcf, spit before saying MCN. Laughing

Sorry do you think the Tiger is shite, the review in MCN is shite, or your ST that is shite?

Or all of the above?

Everyone I have spoken to about the ST raves about them!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:29 - 30 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone rants about Honda's VFR and the 24000mile Engine out valve check and it's cost.

I will need the same shit done on my ST this year and it costs about £500. Which I never knew at the time of sale.

At least now Honda have reviewed the service spec. and now recommend a compression check at 24000 and if OK you drive on till next service, and recheck. And their service intervals are wider and they're cheaper.

I dont want to have to take the bloody engine out my bike for a valve service.
So 'shite' is the word of preference.

Also: Ah fell off both my STs last year. (On braking at low speeds) I drove/kicked the shit out a Thundercat for 3 years and never even nearly fell off no matter how hard I tried.
The ST is as twitchy as a Priest outside a kids playground. Or I'm just a useless driver.

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 21:34 - 30 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VFR8 VTEC is an engine out valve check at 16,000 and a service avery 4000. On the ST you don't need to drop the engine for the valves and the service interval is 6000.

If you crashed the bike, maybe it is your style. Or maybe you were unlucky with the ST/lucky with the 'cat.

The Tiger 1050 seems to be a bit of an odd creation. It's like a tall speed triple with a 675 top fairing bolted on for luck. Not sure how it will go with the touring crowd (who buy a lot of the current Tiger) as it does seem to of lost its practical touches. Still, we shall see when it comes out, whether this summer or at the NEC.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:08 - 30 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

McJamweasel wrote:
The VFR8 VTEC is an engine out valve check at 16,000 and a service avery 4000. On the ST you don't need to drop the engine for the valves and the service interval is 6000.

Fair enuf.

But it's still 500 Sqiddley Diddleys whether Diced or Mashed.
It's not a thing I'd be happy to pay for. That's main dealer price. And for 'warranty cover' that's what you'd have to pay.

And why the blazes does it need it?
Is that not a backwards step in technology?
Electronic fuel injection.
Electronic ignition.
Saves maintenance more reliable.
But you need to strip the engine to set valve clearance?
I won't buy another just coz of that. Crying or Very sad

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 23:20 - 30 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:

Strip the engine? You mean whip off the cam cover? Surely thats not too much to expect.

As for the £500 - that should cover everything that needs doing, not just the valves. I.e. strip the front for fork oil refresh and re-grease head bearing, grease shock linkage, oil & filter change, plugs, coolant flush, brake fluid change, check and update tune, air filter etc.

spitfire
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:36 - 30 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:
McJamweasel wrote:

Fair enuf.

But it's still 500 Sqiddley Diddleys whether Diced or Mashed.
It's not a thing I'd be happy to pay for. That's main dealer price. And for 'warranty cover' that's what you'd have to pay.

And why the blazes does it need it?
Is that not a backwards step in technology?
Electronic fuel injection.
Electronic ignition.
Saves maintenance more reliable.

Count your blessings you dont have an Aprilia or Ducati, they need the clearances checked every 100 miles ! Well maybe not 100 miles but it's very poor.

I think just about every modern bike needs their valve clearances checked. It's to do with the fact that high reving engines cannot have screw adjust valves and looser tolerances, therefore buckets and shims are needed.

If the bike is under warranty then you will need to get them done, when out of warranty either do them yourself, or use a smaller garage. I got a full service and clearance check for £200 ish on my TT600.

Or of course buy a 2 stroke Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 30 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1