Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Budget: bike road tax to go up in line with inflation

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 16:19 - 22 Mar 2006    Post subject: Budget: bike road tax to go up in line with inflation Reply with quote

looks like cars will be having their VED revised, with some car groups having reductions and others frozen, but bikes will have their VED rise inline with inflation along with the commercial vehicles Neutral

full report here

https://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/bud06_completereport_2320.pdf

section A.92 on page 210

a

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:27 - 22 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought due to a loophole the small increase was rounded down anyway, effectively keeping road tax at the same level?

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 16:32 - 22 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
I thought due to a loophole the small increase was rounded down anyway, effectively keeping road tax at the same level?

aiui, if the increase is less than £5 then its not added.

(i think I read that right)

a

400bandit
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:36 - 22 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of interest, how much does it cost to tax a big bike? (i.e. 1000cc +) I've only ever had a 50cc (£15) and now the 400 (£30) Thumbs Up Very Happy
Joe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 17:41 - 22 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

£60 road tax for my 1000cc thunderace
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DAF
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:51 - 22 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

£45 for a 600cc

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:30 - 23 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not happy with the current taxation system. My 550cc classic bike putting out less than 50bhp costs the same as a 600cc supersports machine putting out twice the power! That doesn't make any sense at all Thumbs Down

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 10:52 - 23 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nath wrote:
I'm not happy with the current taxation system. My 550cc classic bike putting out less than 50bhp costs the same as a 600cc supersports machine putting out twice the power! That doesn't make any sense at all Thumbs Down

how much does it pollute compared to a modern 600, and how much does it weigh compared to a modern 600 (contributing to road wear)

a

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:06 - 23 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nath wrote:

The whole VED thing makes no sense at all. Road wear, pollution, etc are irrelevant if the vehicle is doing barely any miles, and fuel duty hammers you if you do any miles.

Personally I think that VED should be scrapped entirely (there is some argument to keep it at a nominal level as a registration tax, but I do not trust the goverment to ramp it up again shortly afterwards) and replaced with a small increase in fuel duty (about 10p should cover it).

All the best

Keith

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 23 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nath wrote:

How old is it? Is it pre-70s machines which are tax free?

Jack

biggerjohn
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:34 - 23 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought that VED should include 3rd party cover for every road user helping to curb the extortionate prices for insurance and the inevitable people which will choose to drive without insurance due to its cost.

At least that way VED would be for something other than an inefficient method of taxation.

Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:08 - 23 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess i shouldn't complain about me still paying only £15 quid a year...
but for doing 120mpg and taking up virtually no room on the room-shouldn't i get into the zero band thing?that woulda been nice

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 23 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack_Cheese wrote:
How old is it? Is it pre-70s machines which are tax free?

Before 1973 is taxfree. This bike is 3 years too new Mad

DAF
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:30 - 23 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have already been discussions about introducing a satellite tracked "pay-as-you-go" scheme and scrapping both VED and fuel duty. It's argued that such an arrangement would be fairer since you would only pay for the mileage you do. Not totally convinced myself but you can bet your bottom dollar on any such system being structured in such a way so as to increase the net tax receivables from motorists into HMG coffers; would be an ideal opportunity for yet another stealthy increase in taxes.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4610755.stm

If you believe recent reports in the motorcycle press, Mayor "red" Ken has plans on introducing such a scheme for bikes in London as early as 2008, but without, of course, any decrease in either fuel duty or VED. Thumbs Down Middle Finger

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:35 - 23 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAF wrote:
Not totally convinced myself but you can bet your bottom dollar on any such system being structured in such a way so as to increase the net tax receivables from motorists into HMG coffers;

There has been loads of talk of such a scheme. Generally they claim it would be revenue neutral, which is a bit of a weasel way with words. They still might get the same revenue but as the costs of collection would be far higher the total amount of tax we would pay would be substantially higher.

All the best

Keith

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 21:39 - 24 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're on the topic, the much-trumpeted green car tax-break turns out to be an irrelevance, as only 2 cars in production fit the bill - and neither of them are currently in production in the UK.

D'oh.

The Daily Telegraph wrote:

Motorists hoping to take advantage of Gordon Brown's zero road tax rate for the most environmentally friendly cars shouldn't rush to the showrooms just yet - because there aren't any new models in Britain that qualify.

The Chancellor's generous Budget gesture looked rather less so after an examination of all models turned up only two sufficiently clean candidates: the Honda Insight petrol-electric hybrid, which has gone out of production, and the Smart Diesel, which is only available abroad.

With only 200 Insights on British roads, the Treasury doesn't have to start panicking.

Chris Grayling, the Tory transport spokesman, said: "How can the Government trumpet its green credentials with a zero rate of tax when people can't actually buy the cars that would benefit from it?"

The Treasury said the zero rate, one of seven bands rising to a maximum £210 for four-wheel drives and some models of people carrier, was an attempt to encourage manufacturers to make greener cars.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:20 - 25 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:

There has been loads of talk of such a scheme. Generally they claim it would be revenue neutral, which is a bit of a weasel way with words. All the best

Keith

what like welsh council tax revaluation? ,they made a mint out of that and are delaying the English one till after the local elections come may

Sadie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:31 - 25 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:

I've spoken to the DVLA, and despite rumours to the contrary (because of the loophole), the tax on bikes does indeed go up.

Thumbs Down

3806danny
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:52 - 31 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

for a 600cc it went up a £1

syris
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:55 - 01 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye I taxed my Fazer yesterday (599cc) it was £46, I didn't get a letter in the post about renewing so had to print out a V10 or something. I went down to the Post Office with my V10 filled out, insurance certificate, MoT certificate and tax book and they demanded to see my old tax disc to prove I had tax (wtf? Neutral) so I had to go and unbolt it off the bike.

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 03 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's odd. Normally if I don't have my reminder I just use my V5 instead. Confused

unfazed
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:30 - 04 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get full details here Thumbs Up

https://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/Changes_to_cost_of_vehicle_tax.htm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 18 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1