Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


GSX750F

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

king kong
Nearly there...



Joined: 05 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:14 - 31 Mar 2006    Post subject: GSX750F Reply with quote

I've seen a black GSX750F in the local Yamaha dealer for sale at £2345, good condition but has been there for some months though. Have read the reviews all seems fine about this bike apart from its 'teapot' tag.

The thing is would it be a good idea to get this then restrict it to the dreaded 33bhp.

I would use for commuting 30-40 round trip depending on which way I travel.

It would be my first 'big' bike, I currently have a Varadero.

What do you think
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

king kong
Nearly there...



Joined: 05 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:06 - 03 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've bought it now, pick it up next tuesday Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

HermanTheShee...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:28 - 03 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit big for a first bike isn't it?

How much is your insurance on that?!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Zimbo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:34 - 04 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably less than the insurance on a sports 600!

They're good bikes, some don't like the looks but the engine is grunty and reliable, the handling is pretty decent, the plastics crash well. I reckon it'll restrict better than a sports 600 as well. It's a fairly heavy bike, so be careful at slow speeds etc, but it is a sound bike.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:45 - 04 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

id agre that it will probably restrict better than sports 600's

having ridden a gsx600f, i suspect its handling may not be quite as good as the previous poster suggested but it will be fine in straight lines
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

king kong
Nearly there...



Joined: 05 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:26 - 04 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurance is only £11 more than my Varadero even though I jump from group 6 to 12!

As for the weight I have a slight advantage in the fact the Varadero is quite a heavy bike, and I'm 5'10 and 15st (ish).
restriction I'm told will be fine. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mark_petty
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 01 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:58 - 04 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice bike mate Thumbs Up

I was going to get one of these for my first bike, nice bikes Very Happy
____________________
[Rides: Suzuki GSF600sx]
[CBT: Passed] [Theory: Passed] [DAS: Passed]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Zimbo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:05 - 04 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLINWALL wrote:

having ridden a gsx600f, i suspect its handling may not be quite as good as the previous poster suggested but it will be fine in straight lines


Suspension condition and setup is crucial, the suspension is fairly budget and the rear shock goes off fairly quickly, perhaps it's better to say there is potential for decent handling as long as the suspension is in good condition and well set up! With good suspension I reckon a decent rider could surprise quite a few modern sports bikes on one!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:59 - 05 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

im sure a good rider on a pan european could surprise someone on a sports bike, but that wd be more of a credit to the rider than to agile handling of a large bike
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

king kong
Nearly there...



Joined: 05 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:39 - 09 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike should be ready to pick up last thing Thursday 13th Ap or Sat morning, dealer has had problem getting a replacement exhaust, so definatley out on the road on saturday.
So if any of you are in the Worthing area let me know!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Brava210
Crazy Courier



Joined: 04 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:07 - 09 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good bike enjoy.... Thumbs Up
____________________
Honda Novio, Puch Grand Prix, Suzuki AP50, CZ 125, Wassell 125, Montesa 348,Honda 125TDC, Suzuki 100ER, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Aprillia Pegaso, Honda PCX125, Honda Forza300, BMW G310 GS, Suzuki SFV650, Honda CB500X

CHARLEY SAYS " ALWAYS TELL YOUR MUMMY BEFORE YOU GO OFF SOMEWHERE"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

BorderHooner
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 29 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:51 - 10 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool.

I have an old one, 87.

I dogged it - loadsa new parts - changed the head lamp and handle bars - fairings removed - painted it black and fitted a 600 gixxer lump to it and its a right laugh.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bish777
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:22 - 11 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get bored or derestrict, sling a GSXR750 oilboiler head and cams on, hey presto another 20 horsepower.

Or.... If your brave, any Oilcooled GSXR 1100 motor can be fitted.
____________________
GSXR1100J
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

KLR600
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:46 - 11 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlosfandango wrote:
cool.

I have an old one, 87.

I dogged it - loadsa new parts - changed the head lamp and handle bars - fairings removed - painted it black and fitted a 600 gixxer lump to it and its a right laugh.


You got any pictures of that?
____________________
Now: '00 Kawasaki ZRX1100R - Past: '84 Yamaha DT125, '89 Kawasaki KLR600, '97 Yamaha XJ600N
<My Bikepics Page> <My Yootoobes> <My Websites> <My Photos>
<Take Cool Photos!>
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

king kong
Nearly there...



Joined: 05 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:17 - 11 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I dogged it - loadsa new parts - changed the head lamp and handle bars - fairings removed - painted it black and fitted a 600 gixxer lump to it and its a right laugh.


Why a 600 gixer lump?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:23 - 12 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore colin - it takes a particular kind of rider to appreciate the GSXF. And well, I hate to labour the point, but he ended up with a scooter.

Although I believe he does have some sort of triumph for his other (ahem) poultry-related activities...

Laughing
____________________
"That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:22 - 13 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like bikes that handle well, other things are secondary

for £2345 you can get a vfr750 which is a much better bike and will do similar things

a gsxf would be fine for motorway journeys and other straight line type tasks but you can get one much cheaper than that

poultry ? i didnt get it
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

king kong
Nearly there...



Joined: 05 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:57 - 13 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
for £2345 you can get a vfr750 which is a much better bike and will do similar things


I got a good trade in on my high mileage Varadero 125. GSX has not yet done 8k on the clock, bullet pfoof engine and 3 month warranty. I thought it was a good deal and I have to have it resticted (SHITE) also.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:12 - 13 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i suggest you test ride this bike you have set your heart on, and at least one other bike

id suggest either a vfr750 or a thundercat

a newer bike is not necessarily a better bike

you may well prefer the gsxf 750, so then you get it

if you havnt passed your test yet, wait until you have, then test ride, then buy the one you like.
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:13 - 14 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLINWALL wrote:
if you havnt passed your test yet, wait until you have, then test ride, then buy the one you like.


king kong wrote:
Well I've bought it now, pick it up next tuesday


Yup, really paying attention there, Col. Rolling Eyes

Give the guy a break, eh? Everyone knows you once had a test ride on a GSX600F for a few minutes once and couldn't handle it properly and have now (according to my calculations) spent almost 4 hours posting time telling everyone who will listen how shit you think they are.

Enough, already. No-one is interested in your unbalanced opinion of a bike on which you have 0.0001% of jack shit's worth of experience. Really.

Stick with your pigeon-fanciers world or scooter-boi weekly and spare the rest of us your little nuggets, OK?
____________________
"That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

king kong
Nearly there...



Joined: 05 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:52 - 14 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Give the guy a break, eh? Everyone knows you once had a test ride on a GSX600F for a few minutes once and couldn't handle it properly and have now (according to my calculations) spent almost 4 hours posting time telling everyone who will listen how shit you think they are.


Cheers Bazza

I don't know the the bloke but his status is 'world chat champion' perhaps it should be 'world crap champion'.
I've seen all the srticles about being second best to VFR etc, but I am more than happy with my first big bike.

And yes Col I have passed my test.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:26 - 14 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

king kong wrote:
I've seen all the srticles about being second best to VFR etc, but I am more than happy with my first big bike.


I'm kicking myself I didn't get a 750 now - just that little bit of extra "grunt" for when you need it.

Still, winding the loud handle up to 130-ish isn't too dull an experience for my collection of spare parts flying in close formation... Thumbs Up Mr. Green Thumbs Up
____________________
"That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NickD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:37 - 14 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GF has a 750f, and she loves it. So the VFR's a better bike, but when we were looking the choice was between a 30k 1995 VFR or a 2001 mint 750f with 4k on it at similar money, easy choice as far as I can see. It is clearly budget bike, but it's bloody good value too, and as with most bikes known for having a dodgy finish, it's not a problem if you keep on top of cleaning.
____________________
I was only doing what it said on my licence officer....
Tear along the dotted line!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:31 - 15 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazza wrote:

Give the guy a break, eh? ?


yeah sorry

i hadnt read it properly and i thought he hadnt made his decision yet.

A bit late to be telling him to try other bikes.

I wont be trying other bikes now I have my TT600, as I wdnt want to try something i like more.

I agree with bazza about the extra torque of a 750 being a good thing to have.

Some 600's which may have a similar quoted power, wont pull so well through the mid range as they only get their power by having it all at the top of the range. Im thinking of when i tried a thundercat and a vfr750 both with the same max power, but the 750 pulls much better as its got torque all through the rev range
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

purplepower
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 20 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:15 - 16 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1988 VFR750 and a 2001 GSX750F. I initially went to the bike shop to look at a 1996 VFR750 and ended up falling in love with the GSX750F. She only had 4000 miles on her and was the around the same price as the VFR. I thought she looked better and I definately think she rides better.
____________________
My liver is evil and must be punished!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 182 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 1 - MySQL Queries: 16 - Page Size: 132.24 Kb