Return to hidden cameras

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:19 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

kb-zxr wrote:
I'm gonna guess that you got caught by that camera then, and the photos were to prove it doesn't meet current regulations.

If so, did you win the case?

Nope. It just struck me as highly annoying so I stopped and took a picture. There are several like it on that stretch of road. There is one a bit further north of there that flashed me (in the days when you got one flash if there was no camera and two if there was). It flashed twice so definately took a picture but I was going sideways at the time having just locked the back wheel by overbraking at the last minute. No Idea how I got it back upright again.
anders This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

rev900
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:19 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

KAL9000 wrote:

I think that the local council shud be alowed to place cams, in built up areas where people are shown to be speeding alot (i.e. 60 in 40 and 30 zones) camera limits shud be set ATLEAST 5~10MPH above the limit to cancel out any inaccuracy

I broadly agree - the public needs to be reassured that the cameras are there to catch serious speeders, not those who have drifted over the limit while concentrating on the road ahead.

Quote:

(and lets be honest who desont do 35/40 in a 30)

Is there any proper scientific evidence that "serious speeders" have more accidents or injure more people than non serious speeders ie just about everyone. I know a person who never goes above 40 mph but managed to knock a child over on a zebra crossing. The whole thing about speeding is based on flawed logic and dogma. about five million of us were convicted last year alone yet difference in the KSI figures were in effect no different. Its not about safety its about control and revenue.

rev900
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:51 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: speeding Reply with quote

The powers that be have convinced the public...with spin, propaganda and twisted statistics that speeding per se is dangerous. The gullable believe it. The powers make billions of pounds. Meanwhile our roads get more dangerous because folks believe that if they stick to some speed limit stuck on a metal board everything will be OK and they can happily dose off into neverland whilst piloting their KSI machine.
We have a situation where a person can run a child down on a pedestrian crossing breaking both its legs and protest "But I wasn't speeding" and get 6 points on their licence. We have a situation where an alert and in full control of their vehicle person can do 120mph, not hurt anyone and recieve a jail sentence and a driving ban. Its all balloney. My dad was right.

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 17:08 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully agree Rev900, I was caught 58 in a 50 (dual carriageway)

Factors against being:-
Arrow I was keeping up with traffic on the carriageway
Arrow Good conditions
Arrow Cameras around the time were considered highly inaccurate on motorcycles (MCN and other sources)

Factors for being:-
Arrow They have a photo of someone on a bike
Arrow The camera is accurate (allegedly)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:55 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't speed cameras increase the number of accidents? There was an article published a while ago, may have been in mcn, that reviewed statistical evidence that found that drivers were so distracted by trying not to get fined that they barely took their eyes off the speedo. This in turn meant their attention was not on the road, and they then crashed.

However, speedcameras do make a good excuse for doing 12s Cool LIKE I CAN DO 12S! HAHAHA!

Jack
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Grubby
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:48 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got caught in Suffolk by a camera hidden behind a large rhodedendron bush. I got off again though by using the Grubby patented bullshit method.
It's a good job helmets are compulsory or they'd have photographic evidence it was actually me on the bike, not who they think it was.

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:54 - 09 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
So picture this you are riding down the A90 from Aberdeen to Dundee.

Ah. Shit.

I rode past that just the other day, and I never noticed it at all. I did notice the ruler marks along the sides of the roads with no obvious cameras a couple of times, I did slow down for them, but it was a very much last second thing. Brick Wall

With any luck I'll have only been doing 75 (or less haha Rolling Eyes ) and it won't have got me. Confused Praying
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:47 - 04 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/scamera3.jpg

You'll be glad to hear that they have extended the legs of that particular road sign so you can see the camera before you get to it. It's still not as obvious as it really should be, but you can see it.

I'll be glad to note that I didn't get caught by any of the buggers. Thumbs Up

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:43 - 05 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone should just spray the words "speed camera" on the bottom of the hospital sign. Problem solved.

Zen Dog

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 19:36 - 05 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

if they camouflage cameras, surely they will still need to have the tell tale lines in the road so they can measure the distance covered between flashes

so we will just look out for the lines

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:22 - 05 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLINWALL wrote:
if they camouflage cameras, surely they will still need to have the tell tale lines in the road so they can measure the distance covered between flashes

so we will just look out for the lines

Easily hidden, and they have done so in the past. Just use blobs of slightly differently reflective white paint on the existing lines on the road.

Anyway, according to todays MCN they are denying that cameras will go hidden again.

All the best

Keith

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 12:25 - 06 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still like my idea of a website with pics of people doing stupid/silly things in front of speed cameras, like burnouts, wheelies, stoppies, and same sort of things in cars, acting out murders with chainsaws, and other such antisocial and illegal stuff but none of them involve "speeding"

then have a pic of "driving miss daisy" at 34.5mph getting nicked for being an antisocial speed freak criminal.

just to make the point that speed cameras don't target the real problems.

Wink

a
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 361 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2