Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First Aid for coppers - for bikers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

danclarkie
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:09 - 07 Apr 2006    Post subject: First Aid for coppers - for bikers Reply with quote

Hi, Not been on here for a while now, oops, bit of a fair weather rider i suppose!
Well straight to the point, Tomorrow I've got a First aid session with my class of hobby bobbies (special constables). now i was speaking to the A&E nurse who is going to be doing the course for us and speaking about "here mate ill get that helmet off you!" and how it can paralise people but she said if someone is choking or you cant be sure they are breathing then the helmet would be off pretty much straight away. So any thing to contribute about first aid for motorcyclists that i can pass on? i mean could well be one of my colleauges that come across you after a nasty accident! Cheers

Dan

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:22 - 07 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, upload a bigger pic of your avatar LOL

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:03 - 08 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was mentioned in this thread a while back to mixed reviews (present company included) Confused

Clicky

john2
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:38 - 09 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also if you give someone CPR without asking them and you break one of thier ribs they can sue you, even if they would of died if you had not!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

superstacker
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 02:54 - 10 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

john2 wrote:
Also if you give someone CPR without asking them and you break one of thier ribs they can sue you, even if they would of died if you had not!

Incorrect

If someone is unconscious then they lose the right to decline medical aid.

It is an offence under the samaritans act not to help someone in need, (even if this means just picking up the phone and calling an ambulance). So long as what you were doing was in the best interests of the casualty, and you were not being grossly negligent, then the chances of legal repurcussions would be very low.

Bloody urban myths

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:55 - 10 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

john2 wrote:

If they need CPR, they are DEAD, any other injuries caused by the rescue attempt are taken into consideration if they survive.

They would be an ablsolute wank stain to sue as you saved their life.

I have only been thanked on a few occasions when I have defibrilated them, mainly as they are unaware of the cardiac arrest.

The think they do remember is the pain I have given them by given them a precordial thump (shift, sharp punch to the chest).

I have a bit of a reputation on the ward for the ferosity of this Twisted Evil Im sure that I have broken ribs in the past by this, or by doing CPR, but nothing has ever been said. I have had some funny looks from other patients and relatives when I appear to be attacking their friend or loved one Confused

john2
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:11 - 10 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i'm only saying what i was told when i went on a first aid course, i didn't believe it aswell, but he insisted it was correct. Even if it was true what person in there right mind would sue you for saving there life?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:51 - 10 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

John 2 wrote:
Well i'm only saying what i was told when i went on a first aid course

First aiders Rolling Eyes Makes me laugh when my mum has completed her annual first aid update, she tries to tell me how to do things.

When teaching BLS they should have stated that

British Resuscitation Council wrote:
Pay attention to achieving the full compression depth of 4-5 cm (for an adult

If you are compressing the sternum by this amount (used to be a third of the persons depth Shocked) you will cause damage, when the adrenaline is pumping its hard not to get caried away and be over enthusiastic.

I would'nt worry about making mistakes, most nurses and doctors make silly mistakes.

Its one of them skills that you hope you never have to use Thumbs Up

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:08 - 10 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish that my BLS and ALS courses had these instructors Laughing Thumbs Up

Oh La La

john2
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:13 - 10 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know its pathetic, i said so if you were treating someone and they were going to collapse any minute you should get them to sign a bit of paper to say its ok to give them CPR!

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:21 - 10 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

john2 wrote:
I know its pathetic, i said so if you were treating someone and they were going to collapse any minute you should get them to sign a bit of paper to say its ok to give them CPR!

Living wills.....very grey area Eh?

biggerjohn
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:01 - 10 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
I wish that my BLS and ALS courses had these instructors Laughing Thumbs Up

Oh La La

i can see what you meen mate nice find Thumbs Up

superstacker
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:08 - 10 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive not known of anyone to get sued for helping someone with first aid, i mean i think an absolute wayne ker could try an invoke legal proceedings, but i couldnt imagine a conviction unless you had deliberately screwed up?

ill have a look about.......
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 13 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1