Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New digital automated tracking system

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nighteyes
Dirty Bint

PostPosted: 16:09 - 29 Mar 2006    Post subject: New digital automated tracking system Reply with quote

I just received this email from my boss at work, I'm not sure if it has been posted before (or even if it's true Confused) but thought I'd best spread the word just in case.

"As of the 1st April 2006 the new digital automated tracking system between junctions 3 & 7b on the M42 is scheduled to go live.

There are 276 Digital Cameras which have been set to 2MPH tolerance, you will not see any flash.

The 1st you will know when you have been caught is the day the postman delivers the £60 fine.

Be careful out there."

Helen Karma
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 16:23 - 29 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was a bit suspicious seeing the date - April 1st.
However, done some digging and it appears to be the Highways Agency 'Active Traffic Management' scheme. See this link for details.

HTH Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:35 - 29 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it's the same as the system introduced on the M4 which /does not/ give out fines etc, it is only used for better traffic direction, or so they say.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 16:37 - 29 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Doesn't help that they have just covered the M42 south of Brum with speed cameras and a variable profit margin speed limit.

All the best

Keith

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 16:46 - 29 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
...the system introduced on the M4 which /does not/ give out fines etc...

This system has speed cameras built into it. To me it appears they'll be automatically set to whatever speed is set on the gantry system. See this link for complete text.
Quote:
Digital Enforcement Cameras
* Used By: West Midlands Police
* Features: Once mandatory speed limits are introduced new digital cameras will be in use. You will notice ladder markings on the road surface and camera signs on the gantries
* Purpose: To ensure compliance with the overhead signals for the safe and effective operation of the scheme in reducing congestion and the impact of incidents

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:31 - 29 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad.

Nasty.

At least they seem to be single point. If they are average speed ones it could get really nasty with people slowing down loads before the next set.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:43 - 30 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

A/M 77 Ayeshire have Truvello or something
The polis have been cheering it since it was put up April last year.
It is a common place for high speed RTAs though coz people are stupid. But set at 70mph. Why go faster? Shocked Evil or Very Mad

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 15:25 - 30 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siggi wrote:
The sterilisation of human experience continues at speed in the good old UK.

A direct consequence of having adrogenous males running our lives.

I think the correct term is greedy, back-hand taking, cock sucking, low-life degenerate scum.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:02 - 30 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reuben wrote:
Siggi wrote:
The sterilisation of human experience continues at speed in the good old UK.

A direct consequence of having adrogenous males running our lives.

I think the correct term is greedy, back-hand taking, cock sucking, low-life degenerate scum.

Aye, that may well be troo but, 'adrogenous' is easier to spell Laughing

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 18:42 - 30 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It *is true.

However the changing limits will be taken into account and there will be a period of time in between the limits being altered to allow 'recognition' time.

In all honesty, the variable speed limits really do work, the traffic moves far better on the M42 at rush hour than on any other motorway in the Midlands.

Whilst I don't necessarily agree with speed cameras, if they are working (which in this case they seem to be) then that can only be a good thing - surely?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:45 - 30 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:

Whilst I don't necessarily agree with speed cameras, if they are working (which in this case they seem to be) then that can only be a good thing - surely?

How long until they're used on the completey empty motorway in the middle of the night to catch people doing 80mph, though Confused.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 18:57 - 30 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:

Are they really working, or is it just several years of disruption with road works and the threat of speeding tickets has just moved people to using other routes? Or maybe the fact that it is now a 4 lane motorway when required (that will probably change the first time a school bus ploughs into another one that is broken down with no hard shoulder).

All the best

Keith

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 19:03 - 30 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Are they really working, or is it just several years of disruption with road works and the threat of speeding tickets has just moved people to using other routes?

Unsure about people moving to other routes, but it is the main feed for the Toll road and M6 from the NEC and business parks.
Even when Crufts was on the the M42 was handling the extra traffic far better...

And yes G, they will be catching people doing 80 on an empty motorway. Not great.
But, motorways (despite being the safest places to do so) are no longer the place to speed... just got to go and find some nice wiggly roads instead Very Happy

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:09 - 30 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:
Unsure about people moving to other routes, but it is the main feed for the Toll road and M6 from the NEC and business parks.

Doesn't take much drop in traffic to have a massive positive effect. 5% would certainly do it. Come up the M40 and go west on the M42 and you miss the cameras while only adding a tiny distance to your journey.

All the best

Keith

fuzz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 11 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Annabella wrote:

How long until they're used on the completey empty motorway in the middle of the night to catch people doing 80mph, though Confused.

They were still set to 40/50mph between junctions 6 and 7 northbound at 11pm Saturday night. Only two lanes were open for that stretch, but there was no one there.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:25 - 12 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

but laws can only be enforced with the consent and will of the people last year a news report stated that support for cameras had dipped below 49%.

With 2-3 million fines issued each year and the knock on effects of higher insurance and people getting peeved support may decrease further.

Much like 1945-1951 , spivs (ie black marketeers) were illegal but nobody paid any attention to the laws cus the population thought the government rationing system was out of order and hence did not comply.

that said the government will promise something , then people will be gullible enough to vote for them , then the politicians will not act on that promise and the electorate will forget.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:27 - 13 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't speed/get caught.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 354 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1