Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Not for road use.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

greatmoorred
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:27 - 08 Apr 2006    Post subject: Not for road use. Reply with quote

Ive just bought a bike and the end can says "not for road use" in very small letters, will i get points if i get pulled with this ?

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 10:30 - 08 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will be sent to prison, be named sweet cheeks and get butt raped Thumbs Up

Or if you are very lucky a rectification notice.

Zimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:33 - 08 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above, it's mandatory.

(actually, you'll get a £30 fine, no points. Can you polish it out?)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

greatmoorred
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:20 - 08 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks.
I will have to get my dremmel out and grind it off Very Happy Im sure the cops wont have seen that before !

ps : Do you know any good websites for buying legal exhausts.

unfazed
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:29 - 08 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use some very fine wet & dry then some solvol autosol not that i have ever done it, honest Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!

PostPosted: 21:33 - 08 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finish with a dab of 'brasso' or 'silvo' and it comes up all pretty! Very Happy

impaler
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:09 - 08 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a police point of view, is it just as bad to have nothing marked on it as having 'not for road use' marked on it? Presumably if it doesn't have an e-mark on it somewhere then it's not legal? If the 'not for road use' is e.g. on a rivet strap, changing it to an, erm, more favourably marked one might be a good idea? Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MikeH
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:53 - 08 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't take much to make an alley strap and stamp it with an E mark, ser no. etc to rivet over the top of any markings Idea

Zimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:53 - 08 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's no mark on it, from a police point of view, it's no different to having Not For Road Use stamped on it, if it's not e-marked it contravenes construction and use regs.
However, it's a lot more difficult to argue that you weren't aware it was illegal if it's stamped all over the can!!! Since most coppers are, after all, human, I'd say you're more likely to be let off with an unmarked can than with one marked not for road use.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MikeH
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:06 - 08 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked this up off a google search on illegal exhausts

Quote:
These generally fall into two categories; the poorly maintained, and more commonly, the "race or custom system". The later are in widespread use and are particularly popular among the riders of "race replica" and "custom or "chopper" style machines. Race and illegal custom silencers should bear the marking "not for highway use" or similar wording, however this may have been erased or removed. It is therefore highly probable that the exhaust system of a "noisy bike" will either be unmarked or have "not for highway use" marked on it. Either way these are evidence of an offence.

Are you sure your safe by erasing it Wink

Get it re-stamped with "BS AU 193a:1990/T3 E11"

OR

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GSXR-R1-R6-CBR-ZX-TL-LEGAL-EXHAUST-CAN-TAG-BSAU-RACE_W0QQitemZ8049280827QQcategoryZ25623QQcmdZViewItem

Zimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:38 - 09 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeH wrote:
It wouldn't take much to make an alley strap and stamp it with an E mark, ser no. etc to rivet over the top of any markings Idea

True, you can even buy e-mark plates on ebay to stick on your cans.
Unfortunately, most traffic plod know a race can when they see one, and attaching an e-mark to an illegal can in an attempt to make it appear legal is a far more serious offence than having an illegal can, so on those grounds it's probably not advisable.

In my experience you're unlikely to be done for a race can, so long as you don't draw attention to yourself by riding inappropriate to the conditions. If you speed through villages, wheelie through traffic, or have a ludicrously small and illegible number plate, you're going to get pulled over one day. If you annoy the nice policeman, he's going to do you for everything he can find, and your race can will be very near the top of his list.

greatmoorred
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:57 - 09 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, looking at it again it says " for race use only "
which im sure will make all the difference in the eyes of the law Smile

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:06 - 09 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont bother buying an e stamp. You dont need one. From an MOT point of view no markings are fine, the noise level is upto the examiners discretion. He doesn't have a decibel meter and it no longer applies to bsau markings or anything like that.
If you get stopped with not for road use you could get a fixed penalty or a rectification notice.
If you stick a plate on it with a false marking then you could be charged with perverting the course of justice although its highly unlikely.
I dremelled mine. It was quite easy to do as the "not for road use" was only engraved on, not stamped so it didn't leave an imprint.

Baloo
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:11 - 16 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owdamer wrote:
Dont bother buying an e stamp. You dont need one. From an MOT point of view no markings are fine, the noise level is upto the examiners discretion. He doesn't have a decibel meter and it no longer applies to bsau markings or anything like that.
If you get stopped with not for road use you could get a fixed penalty or a rectification notice.
If you stick a plate on it with a false marking then you could be charged with perverting the course of justice although its highly unlikely.
I dremelled mine. It was quite easy to do as the "not for road use" was only engraved on, not stamped so it didn't leave an imprint.

Sorry to piss om bonfires and all that. If you polish / dremme / overstamp or whatever on an illegal can, that is perverting the course of justice. That is a serious offence and not just £ 30.

All of you must make your own decisions, but if you get stopped for something else and the "altered" can is spotted, you could be in need of a lawyer!

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:12 - 17 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baloo wrote:
Sorry to piss om bonfires and all that. If you polish / dremme / overstamp or whatever on an illegal can, that is perverting the course of justice. That is a serious offence and not just £ 30.

All of you must make your own decisions, but if you get stopped for something else and the "altered" can is spotted, you could be in need of a lawyer!

Yes, because as soon as the cops see, well, nothing on the can, they're going to raid your house, find your dremel and brasso stash and then it's:

"YOU'RE GOIN' DAHN, YOU SLAAAG!"

greatmoorred
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:56 - 17 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i was pulled on my first bug day out and he spotted the can, told me 'it wouldnt pass an MOT with that on' gave me a producer and sent me on my way.
So im still a bit in the dark, did he pull me to look at the can or pull me because they were pulling lots of people in. He said he was more interested in people coming out with no MOT or insurance.
What is the deal with race cans ? Is it some kind of EU noise regulation ?

Teaman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:05 - 18 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, also they have decided by fitting a race can you will go at 40mph over the limit everywhere, scare lil old ladys adn rob banks.

its also been proved you dont go to church on a sunday. you bad man
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 6 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1