BCF: Bike Chat Forums

eBay Tips

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 15:56 - 20 Apr 2006    Post subject: eBay Tips Reply with quote

I have started to sell again on ebay (clothes) having not really used ebay for about 18 months i basically forgot "how to sell"

As im bored i thought i would write this. Smile

There are 2 types of selling, good and bad. Yesterday i made the mistake of bad selling and didn't make much money. I learnt my lesson and altered my auctions to how i would have done them ages ago.

Have a look at what i wrote, looks like the average auction most people would make. Maybe better picutures and a bit more of a description.

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8409658217&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEUS%3AIT&rd=1

As you can see this item didn't sell becuase frankly everything about it is shit. I rushed it and didn't think about it. It didn't sell at 7.99 which it should have done easily.

Now check out my new auction.

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8410088161&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

Its already £13.50 with another 5 hours to go.

So my tips are:

Arrow Spend time in what your selling, think about it. Get a nice layout etc and try an auction builder such as https://www.omniauctionbuilder.com/

They aren't expensive if you buy and can probably download for free.

Arrow Be honest with your items but try not to use BNIB BNWT etc it makes the item look dodgy.

Arrow Always always when you list use a gallery picture, its an extra 15p but always worth it as you are more likely to sell more.

Arrow Don't charge silly postage prices as it scares people off, same as silly starting prices. Mine wouldn't normally be 9.95 starting but after selling bugger all yesterday it shocked me a bit so they will be lower next time.

Arrow Get decent photo's. This is probably the most important thing. Decent photo's will make all the difference.

Thats all i can think of at the moment, its probably all crap you all know but as i say, im bored at work.

Feel free to add some more Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 15:59 - 20 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://img152.imageshack.us/img152/9398/captainobvious8ma.jpg

Why thank you captain obvious Clapping

Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 16:11 - 20 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet you dumb ass american wouldn't have said anything if i hadn't of said this.

Quote:
its probably all crap you all know but as i say, im bored at work.

stupid fuck. Razz

ftw

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 16:29 - 20 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love you to man Wink

And im not an american ftw!

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:55 - 20 Apr 2006    Post subject: . Reply with quote

Quote:
Always always when you list use a gallery picture, its an extra 15p but always worth it as you are more likely to sell more.

I don't agree.

All those 'listing enhancements' should be used sparingly imo.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:12 - 20 Apr 2006    Post subject: . Reply with quote

Well, a few years ago, I recommended ending auctions on a Sunday evening, and running them for 7 days.

These days, it very much depends upon the item. A lot of people do seem to check eBay during the day, and at work, particularly Friday afternoons.

Over the Xmas holidays, I do think that 10 day auctions are a good idea - to pick up those bored people on holiday browsing eBay for a bargain.

It's worth, in the summer, considering the weather, and the sporting events. i.e You might not want to end your signed Man U programs, during a Manchester derby. Or a signed cricket bat, on the last day of the ashes.

It's also worth considering what the time will be in other countries, if you ship worldwide. 7pm on a Sunday, means that it's Sunday day time in the USA, and Monday morning in Australia and N.Z - which is useful.

On the whole, on balance, I'd say ending items thurs, fri, sat night, sunday afternoon, or night are best (assuming you ship worldwide). Whereever possible have an auction run through a weekend, so with that in mind, 5 and 7 day auctions are the ones which I use most.

If I have a buy-it-now, that I am confident will sell, I sometimes use 3 or even 1 day auctions. For instance, I sold 50 1st class stamps, at a discount, I knew they'd sell, so I did a one day pay-pal buy-it-now, thus getting some quick cash in my account that I could spend on other things.

Ork12
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:12 - 20 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always use gallery, your auction doesn't stand out if it doesn't have it nowadays Smile
Alex

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 20 Apr 2006    Post subject: . Reply with quote

Ork12 wrote:
Always use gallery, your auction doesn't stand out if it doesn't have it nowadays Smile
Alex

Well, i'd say it depends what it is that you are selling. I certainly don't use a gallery item every time at all.

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 20 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah basically all stuff i do allready, although i tend not to go overboard on the layout...

Can end up making you look too professional and shop like - makes you feel your not realy getting a bargain as your buying from a shop type person. I duno, might just be me.

And McGee - You made that little image, especially for this thread, didnt ya? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 20:41 - 20 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not everybody has sold on ebay before so it may help out the n00bs.

2 of my auctions are £18 with 50 minutes to go. Not bad considering i paid about £7.50 each from india and i've got a shit load more on the way. Smile

0ddball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:50 - 20 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

To show the power of a well thought out ad. I bought a car ecu for £50. It had no picture and a very brief description.

A few weeks later i readvertised it with a good pic, full details of it's features and wrote it in a genuine way (and spelt correctly). It sold for £280 Very Happy

0ddball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 20 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

markcatate wrote:
Not everybody has sold on ebay before so it may help out the n00bs.

2 of my auctions are £18 with 50 minutes to go. Not bad considering i paid about £7.50 each from india and i've got a shit load more on the way. Smile

So you bought them from India and you are selling them as genuine? Confused

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 21:07 - 20 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh they are real. I did this sort of thing when i was 16 for a while through my website. Got some good contacts and reliable sources.

One of the items that didnt sell yesterday for £7.99 is now £26. Cool

0ddball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 20 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the stuff i saw in Goa were counterfeit. Sure, they had the correct labels and tags but that doesn't make them genuine.

m99dws
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:41 - 20 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to buy/sell t-shirts like that too, well before ebay was mainstream.

I call fake on them too.

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 21:51 - 20 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpannerMonkey wrote:
All the stuff i saw in Goa were counterfeit. Sure, they had the correct labels and tags but that doesn't make them genuine.

I have 4 polo sport tshirts from gunwharfe keys and they are identical. Same everything, i am pretty sure they are genuine. I could have bought alot cheaper (guarenteed fake)

Anyway fake or not i am making a killer. Got 150 off my dads mate for selling his laptop and pc and made £50 selling 5 t-shirts.

i used to sell a whole load of stuff and never had a problem although i did a bit with fake von dutch hats but only cunts where them anyway.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 20 Apr 2006    Post subject: . Reply with quote

My best ever result on eBay, was I bought a load of wargaming magazines in an auction (7,500 of em) and sold em as a job lot for £1,550. Cool

More luck than judgement. I was very new to ebay at the time.

cqueen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:09 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an original VFR exhaust for £20 off ebay. I polished it, relisted it with a picture and a proper description and sold it for £75+ P&P.

...which was nice!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:28 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

One empty beer can sold for £2, I should try that again some time. Razz

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:32 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive made about £120 off ebay buying and selling mobile phones - and managed to upgrade my old one in the process.

Ebay is great as it is full of no-hopers.

Its so easy to pick up something crap cheap because its got a lame description - people wont touch it because they are unsure about what it actually is / does. You get it - relist it with a decent description and maybe a few extras and youve made your money Thumbs Up

Eg:

Had a 7650 - Bought it crap cheap off a eBay because it looked like a cool phone and was a lame description. Got it through the post and was realy dissapointed as it was gigantic. Looked on the net, and being a "smart phone" there was a shed load of software around for it. It came to me with the Nokia Software and guide CD - so i simply got together a load of the main software apps and just placed them on a CD. Re-listed with both CD's, the phone, a spare battery (£2.99) and a decent description. Thumbs Up Doubled my money Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 13 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1