Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Ice Hockey - tips, advice, experiences...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 14:48 - 25 Feb 2006    Post subject: Ice Hockey - tips, advice, experiences... Reply with quote

So me and my mate have decided to get ourselves into Ice hockey - we both love skating and we're not horrifically bad at it, so we're looking at going to an Ice Hockey academy in Sheffield Smile. I'm making preperations of my own, having quit smoking and started eating healthier and running from home to work instead of walking, and it's going to be really cool.

Now I've got a couple of questions regarding getting involved in that sort of thing, not the least of which is will my (now past and finished and gone) interest in smoking weed affect me to any degree? At what point during an academy would they start doing drugs tests?

Secondly, What sort of exercise would be best for hockey - Upper body? etc...

Thirdly - Is there any sense in trying one of those crash weight gain thingies with all glucose and that random stuff, as I'm 6 foot and about 10 stone - i'm not very imposing - even in full shoulder guards, helmet, mahoosive armoured gloves and skates. Will my weight go up as part of a good diet and exercise or is it worth taking action to make it go up purposefully?

All advice would be appreciated, thanks Smile.

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:28 - 25 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with most sports, a healthy diet is reccommended. I cant really comment on building upper body strengh because when i used play ice hockey, i was only low teen (15). Be a bit sneaky like Alan Shearer in Football, a swift sly elbow always used to help me out.

But it would be better get another couple of stone on, if your going to be playing bigger lads.

And yes weed will affect you, hell weed will start to affect you in normal daily activities if you dont get off it mate.

tommyboi
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:31 - 25 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

iv been looking into this for a while as i ice skate most weeks , full kit will cost around £1500 but rink time is free if your in there team Smile i recomend going along and having a go as it is very painfull sprot , as il would no Rolling Eyes lol

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:40 - 25 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommyboi wrote:
iv been looking into this for a while as i ice skate most weeks , full kit will cost around £1500 but rink time is free if your in there team Smile i recomend going along and having a go as it is very painfull sprot , as il would no Rolling Eyes lol

It is a very painful sport! Prepare to have bruises everyweek, and needing some Radox in Your warm bath when you get in every week.

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 21:28 - 25 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwfc4eva86 wrote:
It is a very painful sport! Prepare to have bruises everyweek, and needing some Radox in Your warm bath when you get in every week.

I saw the armour plating the netminders/goalies have - Bloody hell, the armour turns men into dreadnaughts Cool - it makes rossi's armour look like tissue Thumbs Up Laughing .

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Villers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:23 - 25 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to do roller hockey but I doubt it compares. The main thing to watch will be looking at the puck while the much bigger boys plough you into the boards. Thumbs Up

1500 quid sounds a lot though! Where does all that go? Unless your a southerner all you need isa stick and some skates Laughing

benc
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:29 - 25 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should do alot of fitness, once youve got the kit on its alot harder, where you get hot and the extra weight it takes it out of you quickley.

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:18 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most muscle you're going to need is on your thighs. If you've skated for a while you'll know that it puts enormous strain on them. In hockey you're going to be going a lot faster as well.

If you're looking into ice hockey, you had better be very competent on skates alone in the first place...

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 01:36 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent about six years every day blading on roller blades - though I'm very new to blading on the ice, I do notice a lot of similarities, and it's almost to the point where I'm feeling comfortable with it to the point of it feeling natural.

Hopefully the Academy will teach us to become better skaters as well as players. if skating is anything like blading, it really is only a matter of time Cool .

That, and the fact that we're the international city of sport, AND we have the best ice hockey team in the world ( https://www.sheffieldsteelers.co.uk )- Even better than the Panthers - BWAHAHAHA Laughing Thumbs Up .

Razzy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:48 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommyboi wrote:

1500 Shocked where the hell did you buy your kit?! My kit only cost me £400 in TOTAL and most of that was on skates! If your not sure your gonna like it NSR then most clubs will do spare kit for a small fee too use.

As for what to train on, just get really good at skatting first! it's the most important thing you'll need, then stick work and after that you can start on the upper body strength!

Good luck with it, I can defo say it's worth it!

best thing is just to have fun!

Razzy Thumbs Up

tommyboi
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:37 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

£1500 is for a full pro hockey kit thay are selling atmy rink , second hand Wink

Paivi
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:51 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: Ice Hockey - tips, advice, experiences... Reply with quote

NSR125-Kid-UK wrote:
Secondly, What sort of exercise would be best for hockey - Upper body? etc...

They'll tell you all you need to know, but going from memory, most of the weights training would be on legs, especially thighs. You'll also spend quite a lot of time building your arms. Whether you'll concentrate on the upper arms or lower arms depends to a certain degree on whether you'll play in defence or offence. I was a center forward, so worked mainly on my lower arms and wrists. You'll also need to have good shoulder mobility (don't bulk too much there), as well as very good core strength: your lower back will take a battering from skating, as well as from being tackled. We had weekly Pilates sessions already in the 1980s before it became fashionable among the ladies who lunch. Don't be surprised if your training includes either pilates or yoga.

NSR125-Kid-UK wrote:
Thirdly - Is there any sense in trying one of those crash weight gain thingies with all glucose and that random stuff, as I'm 6 foot and about 10 stone - i'm not very imposing - even in full shoulder guards, helmet, mahoosive armoured gloves and skates. Will my weight go up as part of a good diet and exercise or is it worth taking action to make it go up purposefully?

You'll develop muscle quite quickly, as the weights training will be intensive. You shouldn't worry about your weight in any case, some of the best players in the world are and have been lightweights (showing my age now, but thinking of Gretzky and Larionov). Typically, with a slight build, you'd be a center forward, where size doesn't matter, as speed and easy movement are more important. Also, it's amazing what a little lead placed strategically under the tape on the blade will do...

And, you'll certainly not need £1,500 for the kit! As you're just starting, you might want to get some second-hand gear from your team members, or see if the team gets discounts. Obviously, skates and helmets should not be bought second-hand.

Barney
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:06 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to be fit to play, you do short shifts of literally 2 minutes of working your ass off, then you line change. Work on your fore arms for stick handling and your thighs for skating. Would be a good idea to bulk up the chest for checks if you don't wear body armour (like me Wink ).

My kit came to about about £250. Shin and knees, padded shorts, gloves, elbows, skates, helmet and half visor. You might want to get body armour, full face cage and a neck gaurd aswell.

I splashed out over £200 on the new easton stealth stick Embarassed its mint though!

Might play you in the future, I've recently started playing for Bristol again. Thumbs Up

biggerjohn
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:56 - 01 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww man this brings back memories of a 20 stone of man and armor slamming tiny people at full speed and with extreme force out of the way and into or over the boards.

I never was very good but it was fun (I liked slamming into people) and a very good workout.

Only thing I would recommend is get on the ice and do as many sprints and 180% turns as you can to help build up your legs and your control/speed on the ice.

P.S. on a cautionary note I also found out putting your arm out to stop your fall hurts. your much better of falling on your shoulders or even a good old fashioned face plant and slide out (you are wearing a helmet and armor after all) as managed brake my arm trying to brake my fall before I learned to do it right.

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:40 - 02 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razzy wrote:
1500 Shocked where the hell did you buy your kit?! My kit only cost me £400 in TOTAL and most of that was on skates! If your not sure your gonna like it NSR then most clubs will do spare kit for a small fee too use.

Didn't know you used to play!? Smile

£400? The new Nike Bauer skates are £349 alone..... easy to spend over £1k on good gear Thumbs Up Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Razzy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:25 - 02 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't include the skates in that price as most people already have a decent pair of skates to begin with.

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 00:26 - 03 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got some cheapo (good but cheap) CCM '92's.
They're sorta like the peugeot speedfight of blades - look good and purposeful, but not much oomph in the say of big features.
Oh well, I'll learn to skate properly and then might get some very very nice ones Smile.

tommyboi
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 09:32 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

well last night i ended up spending £400 on soom bauer vapour 20's (xx) says it all realy just for the skates

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 13:16 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advice? Lead with you left, gives you a stronger right.

Unless you are left handed... ? In which case other way round

Laughing

NB: Id better see some videos the first time you get on the ice Laughing
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...

Last edited by Visitor Q on 14:43 - 24 Apr 2006; edited 1 time in total

IronMaiden
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:40 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouth guard & padding essential if you want to keep your teeth, bruises go with the territory unfortunately! Smile

Check out this bruise!
Shocked
https://www.pbase.com/elliot/injury

EDIT/ if you are smoking weed, you probably won't remember a thing!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 8 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1