BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Problems

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 02:41 - 25 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I'm not all that big on animal behaviour but I take it the dog chews your stuff when you can see it?

Could be attention seeking behaviour too. In this case, reacting to it (even by telling it off) is actually a kind of positive accosciation. The dog realises that by chewing bits of your bike, it gets attention and you essentially 'reward' it by giving it that attention.

What might be worth a try is if he starts chewing the bike, 'huff' and immediately walk out of the room.

Works with my Mums border terrier that used to stand and bark at other dogs when on a lead. It would appear that it was annoyed about not being the centre of attention. When it starts, she throws down the lead, 'huffs' and walks away. The dog stops immediately and walks after her.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 03:15 - 25 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds good, but dogs really do like chewing things

Paul@125power
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:54 - 25 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

So give it something else to play with and when it chew that, praise it and hopefully it will chancge it's behaviour.

Yamaha YQ100 (RIP)......Honda CBR125R
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tribal_tiger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:37 - 25 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZRX61 wrote:
COLINWALL wrote:
im a bit surprised that zrx61 has wolves tho

Here's one of em:
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/ZRX61/Pups/Deif1.jpg

How the hell do you go about getting wolves?

I've looked in Pets At Home, and they are always out! Very Happy

That is bloody awsome! Don't think it would work in my little 2 up 2 down!

All of it.

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 14:50 - 25 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
Smear dog food on the curb and wait for it to start chewing on that. When it has the curb in it's mouth stamp on the back of its head - American History X stylee. Problem solved Thumbs Up

And here i was thinking you're a nice guy Laughing

ZRX those wolves are f**kin cool! My next door neighbour about ten years back had a tiger cub, he was awesome, i used to go in the pen and give him steak and play with him. I miss him Crying or Very sad

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek

PostPosted: 16:37 - 25 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul@125power wrote:
Quote:
I don't get why she knows it's wrong but still does it? Is it a phase?

It is more than likely yes.

Pain accosiation doesn't really work that well. Fear is a better association technique even though it goes against the main purpose of behavioural psycology which is to cure fears and mental problems. But I suppose you have to create something else to stop something else.

I can't remember the name of the experiment of the name of the guy who did it, but, he had a baby and put a fluffy bunny toy in its cot and whenever it toutched the toy he slapped the table next to the cot really hard producing a loud bang and at which point the baby started to cry. He kept doing this until a point were al he had to do was show the baby the bunny and it started crying due to the association with a loud noise. It's an irrashinal behaviour pattern. So for some unknown reason your dog has developed this and you will have to correct it.

Try using a air horn! Take the dog near the bike and stay with it, when it goes to sniff it or bite it, blast the horn (preferably not next to its head).

It will soon learn!

Paivi is quite right, this does happen alot. The most common occerence is dogs ripping the hell out of people bed sheets and clothes because the dog misses you basically.

Yes I remember that study well, the teacher drew a really poor bunny, I take it you are/have studied psychology at some time? I would use an air horn but when I go outside the dog runs into it's hut, she is abit thick, I've heard she climbs up onto the side in the kitchen and scrounges bread from the breadbin, as she is quite tall on hind legs.

Stinkwheel, that is good advice as always but when I saw her do it she wasn't actually aware that I was watching her, I was bored and saw her active in the back yard so I watched what she did, she threw a half chewed brush around, then turned and went for my bike cover, so I knocked on the window and she sort of stood there looking at me. I'm starting to think the cage is a really good idea, seen as I came down this morning to find my bike cover on the floor again where she had ripped it off to lay on it.

It has got loads of other chew toys, I'm sick of it basically just behaving this way, my other dog (An Alsatian, lovely dog he is) only ever chewed one thing in his life, which was my stepdads scooter and he never did anything after that, but like I say he is a really good dog. Bit dim though, and he is getting quite old now Sad

Oh, and I watched Dog Borstal last night, that bottle thing really does work!

Cheers for all the replies guys.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 20:45 - 25 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I take my kid to school in the mornings I usually take the pups if I decide to walk there. This past 2 weeks my 8yo kid has decided that she wants to hold the leash & walk him to school. I hold the female as she opulls on the leash but the one in the pic doesn't. The reaction from *dog*owners doing the same is quite funny Smile
I should take a camera & get a pic of her walking him

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek

PostPosted: 20:50 - 25 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out shes found a box to lay in, just a small box and she been laid in it for at least 4 hours now. Curled up in a box.

This could be the answer. Laughing Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 00:37 - 26 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

so ZRX61, are these wolves like pet dogs, or are they still a bit wild ?

are they pure wolf or half dog half wolf ?

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 16:22 - 26 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought they were about 4% dog, but it turns out it's only about 1.5% dog.
They're fine at home, but they do like to hunt when I let em loose, usually coyotes & rabbits .

MRX Steve
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:36 - 26 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could always just get it a chain for when its in the garden, so it cant get near your bike. A cage is a good idea too, our puppy fears nothing and feels no pain so if it misbehaves we tell it off then put it in the cage which it hates, seems to work, sort of Confused

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 21:51 - 26 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZRX61 wrote:
They're fine at home, but they do like to hunt when I let em loose, usually coyotes & rabbits .

D'you know how to skin rabbits now then? Or do you just take em down the butcher? Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 5 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2