Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

FMX 650 Test ride

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:51 - 30 Apr 2006    Post subject: FMX 650 Test ride Reply with quote

I always fancied a shot of a bike like this so I booked a test ride on one yesterday. It was an absolute blast! Very Happy It was obviously a bit different to what I'm used to having had 3 sports bike up till now. It's quite a tall bike, for me in any case. I felt like I was on my CBT again when I tried to take off in it, I was all over the place. Laughing Took me a few minutes to get to grips with it. The first roundabout I went round, I took it ridiculously wide. Embarassed Slow as hell so it was but it didn't matter cause was great fun. I have to say, it's a really basic bike, the speedo looks like it came out a cracker. I didn't have a rev counter and I was bouncing off the limiter in every gear. Turns out it only revs to about 5800 rpm. I was out for about half an hour and by the time I came back I was throwing it round the corners a bit better. Laughing

Great fun..but I don't think I'll be trading in my Gixxer just yet. Would be ace as a second bike though Thumbs Up Wink

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 13:20 - 30 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks abnormally small if you ask me Neutral

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:23 - 30 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that physically big, just alot taller than I'm used to. I was on my tippy toes. Razz

EllioTT_GiXXeR
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 14:56 - 30 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to try a real supermoto Thumbs Up

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:02 - 30 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you have in mind?

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:17 - 30 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the exhausts - told you it was a twin Ritchie Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 30 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it's a single though I might be wrong. Thinking

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 30 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.jhmc.co.uk/new_honda_motorcycles/honda_FMX650.html

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:32 - 30 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

AcIdBuRnZ wrote:
Look at the exhausts - told you it was a twin Ritchie Thumbs Up

See Richie, told you it was a single Thumbs Up Wink

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:48 - 30 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is a single with twin exhaust valves. i was looking at one of these as a 'next' bike. But then I decided I wanted a real supermoto.

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:50 - 30 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bike you after then? When I was riding that FMX, I couldn't help but think that it could be doing with a lot more power.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:53 - 30 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a 650, it is only putting out 36-7 horsepower. The Yam XT 660 Sm, a similar type of bike (soft supermoto) puts out nearer 50, and is apparently a bit more inspiring to ride. I'm going for a DRZ-400 SM when one comes around affordably on E-bay (or a normal one that can be converted) The FMX is aimed at people who commute 'through the strains and stresses of the urban jungle' and would normally plump for a cheap 500 type thing. Not a hardcore bike rider.

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:20 - 01 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a bloke at work with DRZ400 sm. It's not as large a bike as you would think, but quite nice looking and decently finished. I gather that it's not slow either.

What about the MZ 660cc sm, like stinkwheel had?

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:45 - 01 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to have a look at the XT660x im really swaying towards one, but still they only do 100mph tops! Anyone know of any Yamaha Dealers in the Greater Manchester area so i can test ride one? just ESB Bolton only has the traili xt660.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:46 - 01 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

100 MPH is still 30 more than the legal limit mate. By the sounds of it thats a licence saver for you. Smile

The point of a supermoto is quick and nimble handling, torquey power delivery, light weight and urban attack. Remember that most supermotos are based on offroad machines. When was the last time you needed more than 100MPH off road?

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 07:34 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acid, my dad's XR has got twin exhaust manifolds before going into one, don't mean shite mate Laughing

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 08:30 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he meant both exhausts physically go into the engine block, hence the twin exhaust valves.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 20:39 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

markcatate wrote:
I think he meant both exhausts physically go into the engine block, hence the twin exhaust valves.

I know mark, i was agreeing with it, by saying my dad's XR400 (single) also has the twin exhausts but it's cuz of the twin valves not cuz it's two cylinders.

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:01 - 03 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I was wrong. Was only going by a photo Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ajacobs
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:30 - 03 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

AcIdBuRnZ wrote:
Ok, so I was wrong. Was only going by a photo Rolling Eyes

SO are we ya eejit

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 03 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I was going by the fact that I was seriously considering getting one as a next bike and was finding loads of stuff out about it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 333 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1