Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

djr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:59 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsxrmick wrote:
norton internet security is the work of the devil Twisted Evil

I agree that group policies etc are the way to go but to be fair how many people have a 2003 dc at home (me excluded Very Happy )

if you want to try norton 2006 dav pm me. Very Happy

To be fair I did say " in an office enviroment"

I used to have a 2003 DC at home but then I got a job that paid me to play with them instead.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:02 - 22 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also get paid to play with them, but Ialso like playing with them at home. Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:07 - 22 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsxrmick wrote:

And I really dont need to be asked whether outlook express is allowed to access the internet. ffs my 1 year old daughter could answer that.

Well, not only would my answer be NO! but I would give the same answer to several other programs including MSN messenger...that is assuming I hadn't removed them entirely from my computer (which I have).

This is part of the stinkwheel approach to internet security, the theory behind which is that hostile programmes are mostly written to attack commonly used programmes. If I were to write a virus that I wanted to insert itself on other peoples computers, I would design it to attack windows XP through either MSN messenger or Internet explorer and find a way to get it through the windows firewall and Norton antivirus. This would ensure it got to as many people as possible.

Use slightly less common programmes and you give yourself a degree of protection.

I could be wrong?

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:10 - 22 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is that approach too stinkwheel. Thumbs Up

a well know fact is that to keep a pc safe from viruses etc is not to allow it to connect to the internet in any way shape or form. Mr. Green

djr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:11 - 22 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Use slightly less common programmes and you give yourself a degree of protection.

I presume you mean firefox instead of internet explorer?

look here firefox has lots of issues too, and as more people start to use it people who develop spyware are going to look more to pick out it's flaws rather then the flaws in IE.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The View Askew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:14 - 22 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zone alarm pro, AVG real time pro. Microsoft Antispyware.

Not one infected file ever.
Zone alarm never fails to rat out every tiny little thing and ask you whether you wish to allow it to run, if not, it is THE ONLY program i've used that is actually capable of killing a program without "Access to file denied" or other such faeces.

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 00:17 - 22 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that cunt derbi was getting pissed off. Laughing

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:28 - 22 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

markcatate wrote:
I see that cunt derbi was getting pissed off. Laughing

i wonder why. Rolling Eyes

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 00:43 - 22 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

He deserves it after saying i and others were bullshitting when he didn't know what he was talking about.

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:59 - 22 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneAlarm is complete and utter pish when you realise you don't want to use it anymore you will have your internet access blocked as it installs 3rd party drivers to handle network traffic, that conviently lock up the machine when the truvector engine (or whatever the fuck it's called) isn't detected.

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 19:59 - 22 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using AVG Anti-Virus, SP2 firewall and ad aware for spyware.

Using on all our pc/laptops at home and server and 8 clients in the office and not a single problem.

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:42 - 29 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon B wrote:
I would definately buy Zonealarm Pro

BitTorrent is your friend Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Psychofly
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:14 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use AVG Antivirus, Kerio Personal Firewall (think it's called Sunbelt now) and Spybot.

Never have any problems and they're all free.

chrisw
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:45 - 03 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

In an office environment, locking a machine down via Reg entries and GPOs can be a complete pain if you need to remote admin it.

The route I've taken with a couple of machines is that all the emphases is put on the user.

They have to login with their own name (no generic accounts) and web activity is recorded. Warnings are given that they are being monitored and that they must log off/restart the machine when they are finished with it.

That way, if something unsavoury is left on the machine or there is cause for concern (there is a 'reasonable use' clause in all contracts), the logs can be looked at and tied to the user on the machine. If they claim it was someone using their account, they are still responsible as it is down to them to keep their account details secure.

However, the people that use these 'open' machines do kill the OS on a regular bases by simply browsing crap (Spyware normally), so the machines are ghosted in a clean state and a rebuild CD is left with a named person, that way when they do break, they can be rebuilt in less than 30mins.

For home use, well, I use Firefox and common sense. There is a simple firewall in out router which just blocks all incoming ports (bar one or two I've opened) just to stop anything someone else may try on, but thats about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

m99dws
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:01 - 03 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisw wrote:
In an office environment, locking a machine down via Reg entries and GPOs can be a complete pain if you need to remote admin it.

Not if done correctly.

Liam_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:28 - 03 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
Just don't be stupid and download and run untrusted .exe's, and click dodgy links and you'll be alright.

It's not like some super-leet hacker is going to come and steal all of your files such as natalie_portman_nude_with_dog.jpg

All of the scanners/firewalls/spyware bots(especially) just profiteer from a) the people too stupid to use the internet and b) the paranoid.

Just don't download stupid shit on the net and you'll be fine.

well...... theregister.co.uk did a test in which they connected a PC to the net with no Anti-Virus or Firewall enabled and it was infected with several viruses. after a day it was a drone used by script kiddies for DDoS attacks.
AVG and MS Defender is ok but AVG doesn't pick on everything i'm afraid.
i myself use Norton Anti-Virus and MS Defender and that keeps my PC clean and running sweet Thumbs Up

djr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 03 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

UrbanRacer wrote:
Toby R wrote:
Just don't be stupid and download and run untrusted .exe's, and click dodgy links and you'll be alright.

It's not like some super-leet hacker is going to come and steal all of your files such as natalie_portman_nude_with_dog.jpg

All of the scanners/firewalls/spyware bots(especially) just profiteer from a) the people too stupid to use the internet and b) the paranoid.

Just don't download stupid shit on the net and you'll be fine.

well...... theregister.co.uk did a test in which they connected a PC to the net with no Anti-Virus or Firewall enabled and it was infected with several viruses. after a day it was a drone used by script kiddies for DDoS attacks.
AVG and MS Defender is ok but AVG doesn't pick on everything i'm afraid.
i myself use Norton Anti-Virus and MS Defender and that keeps my PC clean and running sweet Thumbs Up

Format it and don't but norton on it this time and it'll feel like a whole new machine Cool

Liam_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 03 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah, i'll just keep it the way it is. everything runs fine and i haven't seen any performance hit since installing it

used to format my PC all the time, but it soon bored the tits out of me and i found it tedious having to re-install everything and all that cack.

chrisw
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 03 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

m99dws wrote:

Not if done correctly.

If your on AD, then yes, its no problem at all, but unfortunatly we're still in the dark ages (i.e an NT Domain) which makes rolling GPOs out a little more of a challenge (altho it can still be done, its a bit messy and we are moving to AD soon enough so its not worth the hassle).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

m99dws
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:21 - 03 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

NT4 domains don't have to be upgraded for that, there are plenty of ADM's you can integrate to your existing NT policy to assist you.

Craggles
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:57 - 03 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will come back and read all of this - but for now:

Myself and a friend were wiping his pc and going through the windows install process. For a laugh, we connected an out-of-the box windows xp install to the net and left it. We litrally booted it up, logged on and walked away.

The machine lasted 15 minutes... (i think it was blaster that killed it - it got stuck into a reboot cycle).

Craig

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:31 - 04 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 minutes, thats quite a while. Laughing

I've seen it done within seconds, bastard virus writers. Twisted Evil

tribal_tiger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:06 - 04 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

markcatate wrote:
He deserves it after saying i and others were bullshitting when he didn't know what he was talking about.

You mean Boot Sectors arn't held in the ROM

XP doesn't run on DOS

Key Loggers arn't viruses?

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Hey Derbi, I've a got a flat screen monitor for sale if your interested?

All of it.

Liam_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 04 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

derbisenda16 wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

got onto the boot sector of the hard drive and fucked it.

remotely.

Thats imposible ..the boot part of the computer is the ROM..read only memory and it can not be effected or over written...Do you mean it got into the Operating systems boot sequence and fucked that>

https://www.urbanracing.net/misc/abuse/fuckoff.jpg

seriously tho, don't post again in this section. you know nothing about IT.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 364 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3