Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Water Damaged Phone...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:38 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Water Damaged Phone... Reply with quote

Whats the best way of getting these things back to a working order?

Ive heard that blasting them with a hairdryer for an hour or two, completely stripped down, and then placing in the airing cupboard for a week is a good way of doing it?

Anyone else got any good ideas? Its been through the washing machine you see Thumbs Down
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!

PostPosted: 12:41 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best thing to do is just take it apart as much as you can, then just leave it in the airing cupboard for a week.

About as much as you can do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

T1z3R
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

if its water then do as above.

if its some other liquid then all parts would need proper cleaning depending on what the liquid was.

in either case the worst part is usually the screen if it gets water inside its hard to get it out again but the screen may still work OK.

i recently fixed a friends mini ipod which had been swimming in pineapple juice for the best part of 3 hours and the only thing i couldm't sort was the goo in the screen which gave it a weird tint in some parts but it worked fine Thumbs Up

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happened to my brothers phone. Just take everything you can feasibly take off, leave 'em all on the boiler or in the airing cupboard, and take a look after a few days. As said, the screen is definitely the vunerable part.

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the screens hard to replace? Im sure its easy enough to pick up a screen off egay for it... just fitting it you know?

T1z3R
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:31 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

most are easily replaced. it can be a bit fiddly getting them off without breaking the little tabs that hold them in place but then that no worry if your gona chuck it in the bin anyways Thumbs Up

lllN30lll
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

not many shops will touch a phone if you say it's water damaged.

if your going to do it yourself remember water + electricity don't mix, as soon as that water hit a live and neutral then it would send a live signal too all the points that the water was touching.

first thing you should do if something gets wet is take the battery off ASAP, dont sit there shaking the phone lol

good luck matey

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:22 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe Laughing

Yeah the battery is out and being dried up with a little cloth - dont wanna expose the battery to heat Wink

Phone is now in airing cupboard, will try it in a day or two to see what the result is Thumbs Up

Cheers for this guys, its a D750i so dont realy want it to be fecked Shocked

lllN30lll
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:32 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SONY-ERICSSON-D750I-BOXED-SPARES-REPAIRS_W0QQitemZ9129062409QQcategoryZ3312QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

lmfao!!

that geezers put his through the washing machine, was gonna reccomend it for spares for you Laughing

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:52 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

lllN30lll wrote:
not many shops will touch a phone if you say it's water damaged.

The OH had a mobile that used to be our sons occasional 'chew toy' when he was teething, needless to say it got fooked up. Took it to Carphone Warehouse after it failed to work and they stated that it was simply unrepairable.

Water just knackers the delicate little circuit boards.

TBH, phoines are so cheap now, get a new one Thumbs Up

Handsome
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:25 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you knackered it in the washing machine....take the battery out.....and throw it in the tumble dryer for twenty minutes......half heat!

Yes I'm being Sarcastic!

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:04 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

lllN30lll wrote:
https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SONY-ERICSSON-D750I-BOXED-SPARES-REPAIRS_W0QQitemZ9129062409QQcategoryZ3312QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

lmfao!!

that geezers put his through the washing machine, was gonna reccomend it for spares for you Laughing

HAHA yeah i saw that earlier! Put a bid on it because i figured i could make at least 1 decent phone out of it - if drying it out didnt work! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Although mine went through a ye-olde washing machine for about 3 hours Laughing

Reckon that one is salvagable?

simon1221
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine got soaked in my jacket pocket, I took the battery off, took it apart, hairdryered it and put it in the airing cuboard for a week and now it works.

I think it depends on how *wet* the phone really is.

The screen was water logged but after a while of intense heat (radiator) it seemed to repair itself.

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:43 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember a few years ago I had a 3210 that I left in my pocket when I got in the swimming poo on holiday, Rolling Eyes. Anyway, I gave it to my nephew who then proceeded to smash it to bits, and of course I joined in. We were literally throwing it as high in the air as we could, jumping on it, throwing it about etc, and it even got run over. And would you believe it, it actually turned on 2 days later, I kid you not. The thing was broken in half, screen was all shattered and it was completely shagged, but it still turned on. I couldn't believe it, I wish I'd just left it to dry because I'd already gone out and spent £100 on a new one.

Rolling Eyes

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 14:37 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropped my phone in a toilet

Poured a bottle of coke into my laptop

Rolling Eyes

Misc
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:28 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember this being on a programme 'Gadget show' he tested a few things like an ipod a phone & some other things, he basically did what you did, stripped them all down to what you could & then dried them, they worked to execpt the ipod.

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:21 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki wrote:

Laughing I once tipped nearly an entire mini bottle of vodka over my old laptops keyboard. It went completely haywire, some buttons working as they were being pressed all the time, some buttons working as other buttons. It was clearly drunk! Wink 4 days later, it had just gotten better, and worked fine again! Smile

Yoshi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:35 - 29 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tipped tea all over my laptop keyboard and went OMG OMG!!! and pulled out the power cable and the battery but forgot to ctrl+s to save the coursework I had nearly finished and had not yet saved!! Was so pissed off about my work going and to this day the right arrow key does not work Sad

This laptops a bit screwed up really! A usb port is buggered, the network port has had the bit that holds the cable in place ripped out (by my cat) the arrow key dont work, sometimes the backlight for the LCD randomly switches off and you have to squint to save your work and then restart it Rolling Eyes

Either a Flybook or an iBook for me I think!

m99dws
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 30 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dropped a 3210 down the toilet a few years back, dried it out and was as good as new after a few days.

Had a funny smell though Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Psychofly
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:09 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reflex wrote:
.........I got in the swimming poo on holiday

That's just wrong mate.
I found a flat to rent recently with a "shared heated indoor swimming poo" ..... wonder if it's the same one you used ?

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 12:47 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of a pub I went to in Leeds once.

I'd never heard of a poo table before!

https://www.jonpascoe.co.uk/images/leeds/10.jpg

tribal_tiger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:10 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put my g/f's phone on a 40 degree wash by accident!

Took the covers off and the battery and sim out and put it on the radiator. Work about an hour later!

All of it.

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 09 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had it done twice now thanks to my 2 year old.

One phone survived, the other didn't.

First thing to do is to turn it off, don't turn it on.

Had same thing with a laptop at work, someones drink leaked in their rucksack. We put it in the boiler room and left it a week and it sorted it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 357 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1