Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

so how long did it take.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:13 - 08 May 2006    Post subject: so how long did it take. Reply with quote

So how long did it take for somebody to offer you a job in the industry you wanted to work in ?

I'm just wondering if my personal statistics of job hunting are normal as so far I think I've sent out about 156ish applications over a 2.5 month period(noting that before a couple of my temp jobs I'd been looking for about a 14 months and sent out a whole load more) had 2 interviews (one was a fishing expedition) , 3 rejection letters (harsh ones you are not a suitable candiate).

regale me with your tales of no experience to your current job ,
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Last edited by Itchy on 11:28 - 08 May 2006; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:15 - 08 May 2006    Post subject: Re: so how long did it take. Reply with quote

A year or so.

Wanted an IT job, but no one was really interested.
Ended up with a job in a coffee shop - management changed / messed me about, so I started looking again.
Within a few weeks I had an excellent opportunity doing what I wanted.

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:21 - 08 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of happened by accident. Embarassed

I was a single parent on the dole when I got offered 4 weeks casual work at the local Tax Office where my mum worked. I stayed there for 8 years!

Then I was ringing a local business to chase up payment of their monthly PAYE payment. "You know" says the boss "I could really do with a decent credit controller to sort out some of the outstanding debt this Company has. Don't suppose you fancy a change.....?" As it happened, he made me a really good packeage offer and I did fancy a change anyway.

Worked for them for 4 years, left due to a change of ownership and bummed around doing Agency stuff for a year or so, then started my own business working with some of the people the agencies had sent me to. My ex-boss then contacted me to discuss a partnership arrangement for a new business idea he had, so I looked at the options and went into that too.

It's definitely who you know in this business. Thumbs Up

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:53 - 08 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd application. 2nd interview.

Tried one after 1st eyar of Uni, didn't get it as I didn't have a clue how to answer the questions in an interview.

Second time round, after 2nd year, mastered the interview technique and managed to pass the telephone interview and panel interview. Thumbs Up Although only a summer placement, it's turned into a sponsorship and full time job in a month. Crying or Very sad

A good technique taught by our University careers advisor is to make every covering letter DIFFERENT. Quite why we should do this I don't know. Good practise? Make it look as if we've not generated 150 of the same letter? But it worked.

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:00 - 08 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The business found me really, I didn't know I wanted to be in it when I got the job. Working at a takeaway, we got a new pizza driver who did weekends to make ends meet while he started his own marketing consultancy company. When he quit, he offered me a part time job, I took it, and now he's offered me a full time place as Number 2. I realised this was the stuff I loved; I've always been interested in media and the way it's used on consumers; I'm a total cynic about it, and hate conglomerates with a passion, but as long as I'm working somewhere where I feel the consumer isn't being completely exploited, I enjoy it. And now he's got his own premises and 4 weekly networking conferences across the SW.

Course, at my stage I need to decide whether it's worth going to university and continuing part time with this job over the internet, or whether uni will be an utter waste of time. Confused

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:09 - 08 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

rookie , yup university is the biggest waste of time ever even with a 1st class its not worth the paper its printed on, good thing I worked at the same time and didn't destroy my working income during this period.(didn't work in the same sector as I studied)
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:10 - 08 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

babyyam wrote:

It's definitely who you know in this business. Thumbs Up

thats me fooked then , I think I might stop apply for accounting jobs now and do something else maybe graphic artist or something or art editor in a magazine , but I'm not that good doing that though.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:27 - 08 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

babyyam wrote:
Sort of happened by accident. Embarassed

I was a single parent on the dole when I got offered 4 weeks casual work at the local Tax Office where my mum worked. I stayed there for 8 years!

Was that job you did similar to this one I just seen? what do they mean by contact centre advisers? , are they the people who you call up for info and they ask you for your NI number your addy and then ask for your enquiry then send you to a specific department?

Contact Centre Advisers

BDC88795
Salary

£14,000 per annum (pro rata for part-time)
Bradford
Closing date

11 May 2006
How to apply

For an application form contact Job Centre Plus on 01274 338012 quoting reference BDC88795
Permanent
or FTA?

Permanent
Reserved
for UK Nationals? Yes

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 08 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I'm old remember? The IR didn't have call centres back in 1989, they hadn't even had computers for very long at the time! Rolling Eyes

I went for 4 weeks to do filing, issuing stock letters for payment (I was a Collector), phoning to request payment etc etc. After the first 4 weeks they offered me another 4 weeks, then another 4 weeks after that. I then got called to the Regional Office in Liverpool one Friday for an "interview". This consisted of:
Regional Manager: You seem to have picked this work up really quickly.
Me: Thank you.
RM: Do you have anything else lined up as you're due to finish today?
Me: Not really, no.
RM: Well you can start in a permanent position on Monday if you like, on £x salary. Here's a contract.
Me: Oh, OK, thanks.

Whole thing took less than 10 minutes! It was one of those very bizarre life experiences......... Laughing I don't think it could happen like that these days somehow.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:42 - 08 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

might be worth a look in I still reckon ,

just that first step is sooo difficult and one I have no control over due to the fact that you need experience which cannot be gotten unless you already have it.

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:51 - 08 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with who you know, not what you know.

Got my current graduate job from taking a random job with a building services company the week after graduation. Really random, just 4 weeks to fill the gaps which turned into permanent. Then got chatting to a subbie from the water treatment, gave him my cv and had a job the next month.

Quote:
So how long did it take for somebody to offer you a job in the industry you wanted to work in ?

Offer? Don't think so. Hunt them down!

But, my stats are - First application, first interview.

What you after at what level?

Put a line in your sig, no doubt someone will read it and think Idea i know something, or i need someone.

Cold calling or just random investigation? My job wasn't even advertised, they just get a steady stream of speculative cv's.

Good luck.

Barney
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:36 - 08 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

One phone call. Company number given to me by a mates Mum and I was sorted.

Its not what you know, its who you know - contacts. Thats the only way I have ever got jobs.

djr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:42 - 08 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

About two week after I left college I was into my first job in IT, that was two years ago now, will probably be moving on soon.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:47 - 08 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

bastids! Wink , been wish I wus as lucky as you guys, still chasing leads at the mo .

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:43 - 08 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took about a month or two for me to find someone for my apprenticeship as people either don't want an apprentice or can't afford an apprentice.

Mary Jane
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 06:07 - 09 May 2006    Post subject: Re: so how long did it take. Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

regale me with your tales of no experience to your current job

Alright, here's my "wah fuckin wah" story:

I was working in a reservation center for an airline while I went to school part time to get some technical certifications.
I graduated from there about a week before giving birth to my first child. I spent about 9 months unemployed becuase I didn't start looking for work until 3 months after the baby had been born. I was going crazy being house-bound all day, and my ex husband wasn't making enough to support us at the time. I began looking for work in IT, but since all I had were the certifications and no real-world experience to back it up with, I was turned down for every job I applied for.
I make matters worse, I didn't have a degree, only a HS equivalency. A lot of the companies I applied with required at least a Bachelor's degree, and so I never made it past the HR screenings. I'm pretty sure my gender had a lot to do with it as well.
Desperate for any kind of work, I accepted a position with a company, soliciting Gas stations to sign up for this new thing they were trying on Priceline.com: priceline for gas. Now, I hate phone sales, I always have. I did it for about a month when I was 16 and quit becuase it was shitty work, but at least in Business to Business sales I wasn't calling people at home during dinner. Also, it paid well enough that my ex decided to quit his job and stay home with the baby while I was at work. (I really wasn't making enough to support the three of us, but it was a conventient excuse for him)

I was doing that, and happy to have anything when out of the blue, my ex's cousin-in-law mentioned they were hiring at the software company he was working for. This happened to be the exact company I'd gone to school for technical certifications for, so I gave him my resume, and he walked over to the hiring manager's office and handed it to him (it really IS who you know).
I was offered a position during my first interview and started about a week and a half later.

But my story isn't over...

I worked for that company for 3 years, supporting their products, working in backline tech support and even packing up my entire family at the request of the company, moving myself, my ex husband and my (now two) children halfway around the world to work on a project in Malaysia for four months.

Then, we got back and I got laid off due to budget cuts. Two weeks after my husband had left me (that was a really shitty month for me), taking our car with him.

I was unemployed for a year and a half. My Unenployment benefits from being laid off only lasted for a year, so that last 6 months I was living off the help of friends and family. If I could have gone home to my mother's and moved in with her while I got back on my feet, I would have, but my ex was living with his parents, and wouldn't let me take my kids out of state.

I finally got a break (if you can call it that) when I got a job that was close to home (no car - needed something in walking distance). I made minimum wage there, definitely not enough to start paying off my debts and support my family, but it was something. It wasn't in my chosen field either, though it was something I'd had a few years experience doing: I was assistant teacher in a kindergarten.

That only lasted 9 months though, and then it was another 3 before I found a job (again - not in IT) doing customer service for a credit card company. I was enjoying that job, starting to get bored with it, but liking the people I was working with when I got a call from a company that outsources technical support for a major router manufaturer. They needed people for their SSL VPN device, and I knew enough about that sort of thing to get that job.

I wasn't working there all that long: only about 6 months, when I started looking again. This time, I found a position as a technical trainer. This is so much more what I've wanted to do, and it pays so much more than I was making.

I started today. Very Happy

Keep getting yourself out there! I know someday something will come along that will be a perfect fit for you. If you have to take some job along the way that isn't what you were looking for just to make ends meet, sometimes that might help you get your foot in a door, or it might get you to that person that is "who you know".

Mrs Kickstart
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:33 - 09 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

First time about 150 applications over 3 months , 1 interview and I was offered the job as 3rd choice because the wages were crap.

2nd time ( 10 months later) easy 2 interviews the first I did not want the second offer more than twice my salary.

That first job is a bugger I just applied for anything I could event remotly be qualified for (and quite few I wasnt) and I was also working through the 'computer users year book' applying to any medium/large company on the off chance.

Good luck and persist

Regards
C
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 358 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1