Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Austrian Speed Limits

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:39 - 30 Apr 2006    Post subject: Austrian Speed Limits Reply with quote

Hi

https://www.foes.de/GBNnews11/3artikel6.html

Seems Austria has decided to increase some of their motorway speed limits from 130kmh to 160kmh.

Bit late for Maurice.

All the best

Keith

Josh|RD125LC
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 01 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit crazy really, maybe asking for trouble? I couldn't imagine the speed limits over here being raised to 100mph. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:05 - 01 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh|RD125LC wrote:
Bit crazy really, maybe asking for trouble? I couldn't imagine the speed limits over here being raised to 100mph. Shocked

They have done a similar thing in Italy recently, raising the motorway speed limit.

All the best

Keith

White Noise
Mr Dudwee

PostPosted: 22:10 - 01 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH motorway speed limits should be 80-90 mph over hear as that limit was put in years ago when cars were shite. surely it is safe to travel that fast in modern cars as long as the driver gives good stopping distances and pays attention
WN
Riding Tip #86: See God, then back off a bit: Problem is i haven't seen god yet, just a close up of tarmac on revett straight
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 00:45 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think unofficially it probably is 80-90

When 90% of the traffic goes at 80-90, the traffic coppers concentrate on those who go at 100

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 14:10 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

White Noise wrote:
TBH motorway speed limits should be 80-90 mph over hear as that limit was put in years ago when cars were shite. surely it is safe to travel that fast in modern cars as long as the driver gives good stopping distances and pays attention
WN

The trouble is, those shit old cars are still being used by people who can't afford fancy modern ones! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed limit has to be set according to the lowest common denominator, and there are lots of cars being produced brand new which dont look safe at 70mph.

Ahem, Peugeot 1007? Those things look safe for 50cc speeds and no more. I wouldnt dare try changing lanes quickly in some of the modern cars.

70mph is good IMO.

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 21:10 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
They have done a similar thing in Italy recently, raising the motorway speed limit.

After seeing their driving, probably a strategy aimed at reducing an impending pensions crisis.

I think if they were to up speed limits in this country they should look at improving driving standards. i.e. lane discipline, tail-gating.

The Germans can drive flat out in relative safety because they have a distinct lack of muppets hogging lanes and/or changing lanes without looking properly.

Josh|RD125LC
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my car at 90mph, it feels quite fast, and the handling is very sensitive at that speed, one slight twitch of the wheel and the car is all over the place, I wouldn't feel comfortable travelling at that speed for a long time. I think it would make a tad more sense if it was raised to 80, certainly not over that.

MRX Steve
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:18 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree it should be raised to 80, most modern cars can cruise easy at 80/90. 90 would probably be a bit high as you would get lots of people in unsuitable cars attempting to do 90

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:51 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki wrote:
The trouble is, those shit old cars are still being used by people who can't afford fancy modern ones! Wink

When did you last see a Ford Anglia on the motorway? Plenty of older cars can happily cruise at high speeds, and there is not really that much difference in performance over the past 20 years.

Tend to agree with Maurice on better motorway skills, but also tend to think that part of the reason for the crap lane discipline is low speed limits bringing the motorway rules into disrespect.

All the best

Keith

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 23:27 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh|RD125LC wrote:
In my car at 90mph, it feels quite fast, and the handling is very sensitive at that speed, one slight twitch of the wheel and the car is all over the place, I wouldn't feel comfortable travelling at that speed for a long time. I think it would make a tad more sense if it was raised to 80, certainly not over that.

That's exactly what I mean about driver education. For example again on Autobahns you don't see everyone racing along on the redline in top gear, they tend to drive at safe comfortable cruising speeds for that car, whether it be 60mph or 140mph. If we could get basic principles like that through to the general UK driving population you could raise the limit way above 100.

MikeH
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:00 - 03 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the main differences between ourselves and Europe is that they enforce lane discipline with fines and points. If the government are going to bring us into line with Europe by allowing points to be transferred across the water then they should also adopt the same rules for enforcement, this should include speed limits as well as the lane discipline. I also think the variable wet/dry limits that the French use is a good idea.

Mike Cool

ProXimaCore
Dougal

PostPosted: 14:26 - 03 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

loply wrote:
Speed limit has to be set according to the lowest common denominator, and there are lots of cars being produced brand new which dont look safe at 70mph.

Ahem, Peugeot 1007? Those things look safe for 50cc speeds and no more. I wouldnt dare try changing lanes quickly in some of the modern cars.

70mph is good IMO.

That reminds me of my pug 106 1.1 I used to have. It'd indicate just a bit over the ton if you forced it but it was bloody terrifying even on the motorway from 85mph upwards. It didn't feel safe at all. It was a reasonably modern car too.

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:56 - 03 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small cars get twitchy and flighty above 80mph.

Raising the speed limit would just lead to loads of teenagers doing 95mph in their 1.1 Saxo's and spinning them when they have to brake or move at that speed.

Education would be good, but who's going to take the risk? Besides, everybody knows the police wont touch you for an indicated 80mph, not least because its probably only a real 72mph.

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 20:38 - 03 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

loply wrote:
Education would be good, but who's going to take the risk?

The Germans did, the Austrians and Italians are moving in that direction, and France has a higher limit. It's about time our limits were re-evaluated. Think one of the Conservatives manifesto pledges was that they'd raise the motorway limit to 80mph.

MikeH
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:03 - 03 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

maurice wrote:
The Germans did, the Austrians and Italians are moving in that direction, and France has a higher limit. It's about time our limits were re-evaluated. Think one of the Conservatives manifesto pledges was that they'd raise the motorway limit to 80mph.

Difference is the ratio of cars vs land mass, drive on any of the main french and german routes and there is acres of space unlike in good old blighty where some days our mways & main roads are more like car parks.

More training/education on motorway use and penalties for lane hogging is the way to get things moving again IMO, then we can look at speed limits because 90% of the time you can't go faster than the limit in a car anyway Rolling Eyes unless its 3 in the morning Mr. Green

Mike

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 22:18 - 03 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeH wrote:
Difference is the ratio of cars vs land mass, drive on any of the main french and german routes and there is acres of space unlike in good old blighty where some days our mways & main roads are more like car parks.

True, although the majority of French motorways are only 2-lane as opposed to the 3-lane norm in Britain, which evens it out a little. Some Austrian autobahns are actually 1 lane in places.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:44 - 04 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeH wrote:

True, we have a pathetically short motorway network compared to most European countries. For example the Netherlands has 2/3 the length of motorways of the UK, in a country 1/5 the size.

All the best

Keith

riichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:38 - 05 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

loply wrote:

70mph is good IMO.

hes right my mum has a 107 new and it has a 997cc motor in it.... over 70mph it feels like it will blow over Laughing Mr. Green Thumbs Up

paulthewitt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:58 - 09 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

maurice wrote:
Think one of the Conservatives manifesto pledges was that they'd raise the motorway limit to 80mph.

and they just got my vote!! Thumbs Up
we all know they are lie-ing about lowering taxes anyway!

Paul
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 327 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1