Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

London Train/Tube Stations

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

karen_moomin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:35 - 06 May 2006    Post subject: London Train/Tube Stations Reply with quote

Another Northerner trying to find her way around our nation's capital!

I need to get to Queen's Gate, South Kensington (SW7).

Usually when I go to London, I get a train from Stoke-on-Trent to London Euston, then jump on a tube.

The nearest tube station is Gloucester Road, but my question is, is there a better connecting station than Euston? I have been looking at a tube map but it is confusing me and there seems to be a billion changes which will take ages and means there is more chance of me getting lost.

What would be the quickest, easiest way of getting to my destination? Thanks Londoners/clever people. Thumbs Up

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 06 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linky

If i had to get there i'd walk from Euston to Euston Square (200M, just follow the crowds down the road) then hop on the Circle line towards Paddington. You can go striaght across on the Northern and Victoria, but the circle has no changes if they upset you.

Wait for Titz to come up with an inch by inch bus route.

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:40 - 06 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alas I am here. If you're at Euston station, there's a bus station.

If you're going to South Kensington. As far as i remember it, it goes like this.

Arrow Number 18 bus (bendy bus) heading to sudbury - get off at baker street

Arrow Baker street depending on stop (if u stop opposite the station), walk to the junction and turn left. Get a number 74 as this heads to kensington via marble arch. I forgot the destiation of this bus, i think it's somewhere like Richmond or someplace. But the bus goes down the A4- Cromwell road and you can get off anywhere there.

Karen, you may also find this link helpful.

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/pdfdocs/centlond.pdf

Stuart (cagiva geezas) underground plan is faultless and it'll take less time, but if you're afraid of bombings and would like to see london by bus, bus is the way to go - cheaper too - £3.50 for a bus pass.

HTH Titot

Surely MODS, this MUST warrant a custom title now -

I help northerners find their way in and around london Karma Thumbs Up Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:55 - 06 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know you spend too much time in london when maps like that (^^^ ) get you excited.

karen_moomin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:17 - 06 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help! Thumbs Up

However, I will be travelling from Stoke at around 6.30am, I have got to be at my destination by 9am! Quick and easy is the key!

It sounds like I will have to get a train to Euston then? No closer train stations?

I am not scared of being bombed on the underground, and am fairly accustomed to using the tube on an occasional basis. Buses are far more scary and there is more chance of sitting next to someone who smells of wee. Mr. Green

I will consider the bus idea though. Smile

[EDIT] That map is terrifying!

tokarev
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:27 - 06 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titz wrote:
Surely MODS, this MUST warrant a custom title now - I help northerners find their way in and around london

Not as much as you like drawing penis's.
Laughing

I think "Addicted to Cock" is a good custom title for you. Laughing Thumbs Up

Paivi
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 06 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karen,

When are you coming? Weekday or weekend? If it's the weekend and depending on your luggage, I can come and pick you up on the scoot. PM me if you need this taxi service.

Either way, don't even think about taking the bus, as the traffic is horrendous during the rush hour. There are bus lanes, but these are also used for parking cars (in some places, this is allowed until 9.30am) and also deliveries, and cars do not let buses to cut in to avoid these parked vehicles.

The quickest way is actually the London cab. It'll set you back about £10-15, but you'll get there fast, especially if you'll tell the guy you're in a hurry. The only problem with this is the availability of them...

If you take the tube, fear not, it's easier than you think: walk out of the Euston station on to the Euston Road and turn right (westbound, if you're a compass carrying person...) and walk a couple of hundred meters, if that, to Euston tube station. Take Victoria line southbound (light blue, ends in Brixton). At the entry to the platforms, you've got signs showing the stations the train's going to, so you can make sure you're going on the right platform.

Get off at the third stop, i.e., Green Park, and change into the Westbound Piccadilly Line train (terminating in either Heathrow or Uxbridge, irrelevant to you) to the fourth stop, i.e., Gloucester Road.

LUXY DJ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:25 - 07 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not just use YOUR bike & ride there?

djr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:54 - 07 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

tokarev wrote:
Titz wrote:
Surely MODS, this MUST warrant a custom title now - I help northerners find their way in and around london

Not as much as you like drawing penis's.
Laughing

I think "Addicted to Cock" is a good custom title for you. Laughing Thumbs Up

I also believe he needs a new avatar and i think korn should find a way of stopping Titz changing it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Darkside
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:10 - 09 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pick yourself any Piccadilly, District or Circle line station of your choice my dear. Piccadilly is the most convenient. Thumbs Up

https://www.r1-superbike.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

karen_moomin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:38 - 09 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help, and the offer of a scooter-taxi service Paivi.

I'm going to go by tube I think. If my train gets me to Euston on time I'll have 32 minutes to get to my destination. I do love cutting things fine Razz

It's on a Saturday, so at least there will be less people around. Should be fun.

Thanks Thumbs Up

syl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:27 - 10 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just look for one of these and wave your arm at it. They tend to congregate around train stations so you should have little bother finding one.

https://www.gogreensboro.net/qwstoreimages/QWLondonTaxi03_RT16.jpg

I find it's far less hassle and is generally quicker than mucking about with buses or the tube.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 358 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1