Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Biker101
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:59 - 07 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
HermanTheSheep wrote:
Why is there no restriction on cars!?

A 17 year old can pass his test and get behind the wheel of a 7993cc Bugatti Veyron but not a 126cc bike. Middle Finger Evil or Very Mad Middle Finger

Because 17 year olds don't do that, while some do buy bikes that offer straight line performance figures that aren't far off.

Insurance is the massive 'restriction' for teenagers buying cars, meaning that a much, much smaller number can afford a fast car when they are 17.

But some 17 year olds do get fast cars, my friend will almost certainly get put on his dads ferrari 360's insurance, if my dad was as rich as them i would probably be the same, meanwhile i will have to be put on a Honda Civic.

EDIT: I am willing to get these new rules and not have a decent bike until i am 19 if every Nova and done up Saxo are blown up Mr. Green

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 11:37 - 07 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

if Bike rules means you cant ride over a 125 till you are 19 at least.
you shouldnt be able to drive a car till your 18/19.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Vin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:38 - 07 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

wave2k wrote:
if Bike rules means you cant ride over a 125 till you are 19 at least.
you shouldnt be able to drive a car till your 18/19.

Erm......why? How will that help?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sadie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 07 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

And of course, this subject is all new to you all and no-one has mentioned it previously, or warned you it was going to happen, or asked you to write a letter ...

FFS! Rolling Eyes

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 13:46 - 07 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people are missing the main point.

A Nova wrapped around a tree is much better than you wrapped around a tree.

Cars are safer than bikes - that's why there are different rules. You can't class them as the same thing and claim that it's not fair.

markandmindy
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:50 - 07 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes a complete arse of the Governments transport policy whereby they're trying to encourage more people onto bikes as it cuts down on congestion and pollution. what are these w#####s in Brussells doing ffs???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ram_doom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:19 - 07 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Insurance is the massive 'restriction' for teenagers buying cars, meaning that a much, much smaller number can afford a fast car when they are 17.

But in "theory" SOME can afford it. So why should'nt there be a restriction on cars that kids cant buy out of? Wink

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:22 - 07 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because it would be unnecessary legislation?

Because those that can afford it don't seem to mash up their cars nearly as much as the average young biker does?

Because it's not enough for 'the public' (read pop press) to be worried?

ram_doom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 07 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Because it would be unnecessary legislation?

Because those that can afford it don't seem to mash up their cars nearly as much as the average young biker does?

Because it's not enough for 'the public' (read pop press) to be worried?

Agree with the last point Confused I think the power, and the mass of the vehicle in inexperienced/inconsiderate hands, makes it a huge danger so, kids in fast cars should be banned *jealousy Mr. Green *

HermanTheShee...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:13 - 07 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point was that they would have the choice. Ok not many 17 year olds can afford a big car but for those that can, there's nothing stopping them.

We are supposed to live in a free country, we should have the freedom to decide if we want to ride a bigger bike. The government can provide facts and information but it should be the individuals choice wether or not they get on a bike.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Vin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:39 - 07 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I just say. I find it strange that faced with arse legislation against new bikers some people here, instead of putting their energy into fighting it, immediately propose further arse legislation against another set of road users. Very odd!

damnas
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 01:52 - 08 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

GearboxGeezer wrote:
Now see here lad, You can die for your country, Get your Girlfriend pregnant, Smoke cigs, BUT YOU CANT RIDE A BIG BIKE AS YOUR NOT RESPONSIBLE ENOUGH

What a load of fucking bullshit.

I agree with this quote so much!

I do think though, to an EXTENT, they should maybe restrict people with under a year or 2 years experience to anything under a 500cc.

I havent passed my test, not am I an experienced biker, but the difference on the bikes on the road was just immence.

Felt safer, bike didn't shake half as much, solid on motorways, can accelerate out of trouble (not everyone wants a 125 race replica)

We're the weeeeest stand, we're the weeeeest stand, we're the west stand Highbury! *sheds tear*

mattfuzzy
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:19 - 08 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

HermanTheSheep wrote:
Ok not many 17 year olds can afford a big car but for those that can, there's nothing stopping them.

money is power and as always people with money can do what they like, fast cars, big cars, i personaly think there should be an engine size limit for people under the age of 20, say anyone under the age of 20 cannot have an engine bigger than 1.4litres and arnt allowed to modify the engine at all, everything and everyone would be much safer that way, my cousin for example had a nova with a 2.0 v-tec engine in that was used for street racing, he ended up going through a brick wall, 2 cars and a camper van all at once, on a seperate time (and car) a central morotway barrier... hes fine and since then hes crashed about 3 more cars and his insurence has gone from 600 - 800 right up to 2,000 minimum on a half good car and he still manages to pay it (somehow as he aint loaded) and all that happened when he was 17 - 21 (hes about 22 or 23 now)

i havent got the money for a car (the insurence will be about 800 quid knowing my luck and for my current bike its under 200)
so i ended up with a bike, cheaper on petrol (i think anyway) cheaper to buy the machine, and cheaper tax, mot and insurence plus i like bikes more than cars Mr. Green
---
bah just ignore me im talking $***

Zanith
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:57 - 09 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, i'm new to the site and biking in general (passed my test last Tuesday).

I was wondering, because i'm only 18 do i have to take another test when i'm 20 like that direct access one to bypass that 33bhp law <-- think that's right Confused or will i have to now wait until i'm 24 before i can legally have a bike non restricted?

Cheers for any feedback and i hope that made sense Embarassed .

Sephiroth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 09 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you take your test now when you're 18, when you're 20 (and after it's been two years) your license will autmatically be de-restricted to 33bhp>

Hope that helps.

ts50x0
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:07 - 09 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont think you can blame people for getting pissed off with the fact that all of these laws are applied to bikes, it deos seem pretty one sided. And all these shit laws seem to come from europe, not good.

Zanith
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:29 - 09 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sephiroth wrote:
If you take your test now when you're 18, when you're 20 (and after it's been two years) your license will autmatically be de-restricted to 33bhp>

Hope that helps.

Cheers, helped greatly thanks alot Thumbs Up

paulthewitt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 09 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

carvell wrote:
I think people are missing the main point.

A Nova wrapped around a tree is much better than you wrapped around a tree.

Cars are safer than bikes - that's why there are different rules. You can't class them as the same thing and claim that it's not fair.

or a nova sliding out of control into a crowd of people? its sure to hit, maim, and kill more than a bike would if that slid into a crowd. more mass ya see.

so that argument is also terribly flawed.

basically, the government and EU hate bikes. so do the police (non debateable....sorry) and due to propaganda from the government - an a few bad examples of bikers, so do the general public.
*That* is why we get screwed, cos we are a minority that is hated by the rest of the country.

my Penny Coin Penny Coin worth!
Paul

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:51 - 09 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zanith wrote:
Hi, i'm new to the site and biking in general (passed my test last Tuesday).

I was wondering, because i'm only 18 do i have to take another test when i'm 20 like that direct access one to bypass that 33bhp law <-- think that's right Confused or will i have to now wait until i'm 24 before i can legally have a bike non restricted?

Cheers for any feedback and i hope that made sense Embarassed .

This question must get asked every week, perhaps we should make the sticky more obvious.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:46 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadie wrote:
And of course, this subject is all new to you all and no-one has mentioned it previously, or warned you it was going to happen, or asked you to write a letter ...

FFS! Rolling Eyes

My MP is on this very issue as we type. Thumbs Up
It's now with DSA to hear their response. Smile

xlizx
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:13 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some ways, it could be a good thing. I see loads of dick heads on mopeds and bikes who don't wear proper leathers, just zipping around in shorts and t shirts. They are all gear and no idea, and give other, more repsonsible bikers a bad name.
I'm not insinuating young people a lunatics, I'm 19 myself, boyfriend rides and I plan to when I'm quids in at 21. However, there's a lot of irresponsible bikers at least where I come from. Either way, even if you are the most responsible biker around, a little bit more road sense on a less powerful machine isn't going to hurt, is it?
My bloke is 21 in December, and is sick of his D6 already, wants a litre bike. When he's sick of that, then what? He's done too much, too fast, and there's gonna be nothing exciting left to thrill him.

That's all the potential FOR I can think of....we all know the against and it completely outweighs it, freedom of sppech and a right to choose what you ride, and without being discriminated against for being young....

I heard about a biker who died instantly, an 80 year old woman was driving ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE DUAL CARRIAGEWAY, collided with him and that was it. Only young, too, from what I heard. How can anyone claim young people cause the most accidents when there's past-it motorists like her on the road? I worked for Saga, and such a high percentage of the claims are 'Oh, I reversed into a parked car...it wasn't my fault though'.
This world makes my blood boil.

stryker
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:13 - 14 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about cars being safer at racing/stupid speeds..... I'd not fancy my chances in a smash at 70mph or more I think your just as fooked whatever you drive/ride.

houlsby
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:59 - 14 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

young people can drive fast cars, i have a mate whos had a lexus since he was 18, a merc (square thing p reg) since he was 18 and another mate has a 106 gti (the hot hatch of the 90s) at 18 and pays £1600 for the insurance. restrictions on bikes are just silly, more young people drive fast cars than bikes, more get killed in cars, and its not as if alot of restricted people stick to there 15hp/33hp for long if ever. i for one.

ahallicks
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:38 - 21 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently found, by looking around, and chatting to my mate who owns a shop, that a lot more younger people are opting for the scooters rather than the bikes because of the fact that they are easier and it is usually something for them to run around with until they can afford a car.

Apparently sales have slowly pushed towards the automatic scooter rather than the geared 125 machines as it is just a way to get around and since moving here two years ago I've noticed so many more kids on scooters.

I think if this law is passed it will discourage a lot of youngsters even more from riding because the ease these days of taking their car tests. The government appears to have looked at accident rates for bikes, but NOT the cause of the accidents which is more often than not cars themselves and therefore it would technically be safer to put the kids on 125 machines.

Meh, the government make crazy laws all the time.... that's life
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 343 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2