Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Prague or Bust!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

GBUK101
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:11 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Prague or Bust! Reply with quote

A group of us are going to do a trip to prague next year. Just wondering what we need to be legal on the roads in europe? Do we need those GB stickers on our bikes etc? Any help would be greatful!!

CroftyMcDuck
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 04:48 - 17 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taken from https://www.motorcycle.co.uk/Motorcycle-Touring-Europe/

Quote:

Modify your headlight dip beam. In the UK, dip beam has a bit that shines high on the left, to illuminate the verge and roadside signs. This will dazzle oncoming drivers when you drive on the right. A couple of nights before you go, shine your dip beam on the garage wall or something. Experiment with a sharp knife and some good-quality insulating tape to cover the segments of the glass where the up-left bit comes out. You could try your local dealer or the manufacturer for a custom-cut shape designed for your bike, but it may be hard to get, and it will not work any better than a tidy job you do with insulating tape.

If your number plate is the new type, with the blue bit with GB written on it - that'll do. You can buy these as stickers to stick on your plate if there is room (Towsure). Or go for the classic GB sticker. Stick it on the mudguard or a pannier or something. Mine is stuck on the cut-out lid of a margarine tub, bolted behind the number plate mounts for a neat and permanent fitment. (But I do like fiddling in the garage doing 'neat solutions' like that - sad I am.)

Also:

Quote:
Take a spare of each of the bulbs for your bike - some countries have a legal requirement you do this.
Take a small First Aid Kit - some countries have a legal requirement you do this.
Take a Warning Triangle - some countries have a legal requiremen.... Oh, look you will probably never be stopped and checked. Take the bulbs and some sticking plasters, forget the triangle.

Last part made me laugh anyway. I'll say have a good time now in case you don't post up nearer to the trip.

That was a hint that you should do, with pictures and lots of gloating. Mr. Green

GBUK101
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:12 - 17 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the site!

aqualung1
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:22 - 19 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

prague is a confusing city to ride around
lots of cobles and tram line

the hotel we stopped at also had a marbled car park floor Shocked
luckily it was dry cobbles to marble eeek

queuing for the border into czech can take a while as well

more importantly relax and enjoy the ride its fascinating

enjioy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

GBUK101
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:52 - 21 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far there are 8 of us going, it's looking like being a great trip. It will be my first bike tour and I want to get it all right the first time (well I am organising it Shocked ). I'm hoping to make at least one continetal europe trip each year after this one, Greece is my goal for 2008!

GBUK101
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:57 - 21 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serian wrote:
Taken from https://www.motorcycle.co.uk/Motorcycle-Touring-Europe/

Last part made me laugh anyway. I'll say have a good time now in case you don't post up nearer to the trip.

That was a hint that you should do, with pictures and lots of gloating. Mr. Green

I will post when it's done, also on the website I've put up for the trip. See the NaturalBornBiker link in my sig.

CroftyMcDuck
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 04:07 - 22 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll look forward to reading about it. Kudos to you for organizing it all, and by the looks of your site you seem to be doing a great job of it. Nice site by the way. Smile

GBUK101
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:08 - 23 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Embarassed The site is a good way of keeping everyone upto date on what's happening. Really looking forward to it, even though it's almost a year away Crying or Very sad

CroftyMcDuck
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 04:18 - 25 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The time will fly by, I'm sure, and then you'll be riding over, about, everywhere inbetween and back.

And then planning for Greece Mr. Green
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 342 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1