BCF: Bike Chat Forums

stoppies....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

JimboJ
Manc Pikey

PostPosted: 20:08 - 03 Sep 2002    Post subject: stoppies.... Reply with quote

i tried doing a stoppie this mornin(as there were some friends round) and all wat happened was thet my front slid. Embarassed jimboj looks a fool! i just said that i had rubbish brake pads and they beleived me!ha. altho i need to know how to do em proper like
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> which one's the missionary position
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> i've heard it's good
[9:42pm] <Shaun> you came first mike | <Shaun> yes gav, because I really want to fuck you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Scotty
Scooter Boi

PostPosted: 20:11 - 03 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can only stoppie from about 30mph. I'm sure G would love to explain how to do them.
I must try to learn to wheelie though, but i a little scared as last time i did one on a scoot and it went terribly wrong...lol.

Scott
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wingchunal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 03 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want an old bike to practise on Very Happy

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 20:20 - 03 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

You obviously locked the wheel, mate...you need to progressively add the front brake, not grab it...I know the theory, but haven't attempted the practice yet...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

JimboJ
Manc Pikey

PostPosted: 20:22 - 03 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

well ill try that, but as you've not done that ill wait to see you try it first Laughing
[9:42pm] <Shaun> you came first mike | <Shaun> yes gav, because I really want to fuck you

MIKEY B
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:35 - 03 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you part of the box hill user group?

Stew
If it's good enough for top race teams...

PostPosted: 20:42 - 03 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

and make sure your front tyre is warm (warm=more sticky) Laughing

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:12 - 03 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Excert from Zimm&G's Stunt training manual] Smile

Make sure you have warm tyres.... They can be done on cold tyres but you need to puit all your weight over the front and there's no quarentees it wont slide... so it's best avoided.

First start coming to a stop quite quickly a few times (emergency stop style... but harder braking and leave the rear alone).... notice how the back kinda bumps up as you stop.

Now start increasing the pressure on the brake just as you are about to stop... the back should jump up a bit more.
Repeat untill the back starts to come off the ground a little. Once you are happy with that start increasing the pressure more so you're getting it about a foot or two up.

You can now do a 'basic' stoppie

Now try riding along quite slowly <20mph and do the hard braking like before... but now suddenly increase the pressure a second after you've started breaking. This should unweight the back significantly, if it doesn't lift it up. Release the pressure immediatley.
Repeat until you can reliable get the back off the ground for an instant.

Remember that you should allways start braking progressivly to weight the front wheel. If you don't there won't be enough force pushing down to give the front wheel grip, so the front will just slide.

Now start holding the brake on for longer. It takes a while to get used to the 'feel' of the brakes.

Try and keep the back wheel at a specific level (just a coupla feet is fine to start with)... don't just let it come up then dump it straight down again when it get's too high.

You can now do the proper 'rolling' stoppie

Start to increase your height... Once you are getting high one's you will find you need to 'modulate' teh front brake by releasing and reapplying pressure to keep it a the desired height.

But be carefull it's quite hard to judge the 'balance' point was you've overcome the general fear. Once you have pased this point there is nothing you can do (throwing your weight back is your only opiton.. but unlikely to work).
In theory if you got a stoppie in the balance point it could be held for the length of the road you've got (assuming a very slight downhill to overcome friction). However unlike wheelies once you've gone past it a quick dap on the back brake won't help so it's not an area you want to be explroing.

Voice of Reason section:

Doing stoppies makes you a better rider because you can accuratley judge the right braking force to come to a stop as quickly as possible. To get the most effiecent braking you need to be at the point the rear wheel is *just* about to lift off the ground. By sustaining stoppies at a set height you gain the control not only to know when the rear wheel is leaving the ground but to keep it at that point and thus ensure maximum braking.

Next weeks lesson: One handed stoppies Smile

One last bit of advice... if someone's showing you how to do them... make sure they don't go over the top... it probably won't help your confidence. Crying or Very sad Razz[/i]

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 21:47 - 03 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

/me expects to see that report soon...Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

JimboJ
Manc Pikey

PostPosted: 21:54 - 03 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about a no-handed stoppie? i would get down and kiss your boots if you could pull that one off

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:58 - 03 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually.....I do have a plan to make that possible Laughing

zaknafien

PostPosted: 05:58 - 04 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

front brake lever type setup attached to your foot maybe?

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 09:28 - 04 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1st 2 stoppies ever were cool, and easy to do. Got the back relatively high (ask Stew) but I managed to bring it down a little softer than expected (released the brake a bit on the way down. Now to practice rolling stoppies Twisted Evil though I may wait for braidied hoses.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:36 - 04 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

what, like this?

https://www.stunters.com/images/pics-PBR5.jpg

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:53 - 04 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, Smile ... though I usually stay in the seat a bit more and grip the tank *very* hard with my knees Smile

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:59 - 04 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is cool....

https://www.stunters.com/images/pics-mop1.jpg

That'd be a sweet trick to pull off at BoxHill

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:17 - 04 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see what I can do Very Happy .... though the last time I did a stoppie without my jacket it all went a little wrong Confused Confused

It's actually not that hard to do... The hardest bit is convinceing your mind that you're *not* gonna veer off to one side Smile

Last edited by G on 19:01 - 04 Sep 2002; edited 1 time in total

JimboJ
Manc Pikey

PostPosted: 17:07 - 04 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks easy Embarassed

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 18:56 - 04 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol...that guy's going "ooh, my balls!" Laughing

Ropehead
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:04 - 04 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

id Laugh SO SO SO much if he had a falled over Smile

Viper
Get off my bloody bike!

PostPosted: 23:30 - 04 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

tin wrote:
lol...that guy's going "ooh, my balls!" Laughing

Laughing .....
hmmmmm....also note on that ^^^ picture, that the tank *has* been replaced at some point in the past!!! .....Rolling Eyes ...cant think why!!! Laughing

/me is glad to be female! Very Happy

Vx

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 00:07 - 05 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bloke on the gixxer looks like he's in the process of crashing into a small invisible wall Very Happy

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 08:48 - 05 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the 2nd guys lid!! Yeah that'll save him

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 11:23 - 05 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for Jimbo:

https://www.tin3d.com/images/stoppie.jpg

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:43 - 05 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol @ tin.... who needs to go and get a job instead of sitting around photoshopping all day Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 274 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2