Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mobile Phones and Cars

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

headlamp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:15 - 26 Nov 2003    Post subject: Mobile Phones and Cars Reply with quote

From Monday (1st December) it will be illegal for motorists to use a mobile phone while driving a car. They will be able to use hands free phones, but anyone putting one to their ear, or 'texting' will be liable to a £30 fine if caught.

I have had campaigned for this law for ages, since I saw a biker wiped out by a car where the driver was on his mobile phone and was not concentrating. He eventually got done for driving w/out undue care and attention, whereas I perceived it as careless driving at worse!

Anyway, we all know that most drivers are going to ignore this law and that the situation will remain as bad for us bikers as before. I am tired of observing drivers of cars drift all over a lane whilst they're on the phone or texting someone. I am of the opinion that a lot of drivers think it's safe to use their phone in traffic jams - not aware that they are 'weaving', making filtering a nightmare as well as potentially lethal.

What I am going to do from Monday is that everytime I see a motorist on the phone, I am going to hit the horn. That way his conversation will be interrupted and hopefully he will get the message that what he is doing is not just illegal but dangerous to us motorcyclists. I hope others will do the same!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:27 - 26 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's about time. I already pull my clutch in and rev my bike by them until they put the phone down Twisted Evil

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:28 - 26 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Personally I think the law was fine as it was before, if they had bothered to enforce it. The example you mention of people weaving in slow moving traffic could have resulted in a prosecution.

I suspect all that will happen is people who are safe but obvious will get done (for example someone pulling over to answer the phone without turning off the engine).

It is just another absolute law that can be cheaply enforced against people who are not doing anything dangerous. Prosecting 1000 people just to cheaply get one who was dangerous is a bit of a sledge hammer to crack a nut.

All the best

Keith

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 20:28 - 26 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull up next to the window and make a lot of noise.

Or maybe pull up and make a point of photographing them Very Happy

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 20:29 - 26 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punch their windows / kick wing mirrors off

They should get the idea then Laughing

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:31 - 26 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

yamswheelyr1 wrote:
Punch their windows / kick wing mirrors off

They should get the idea then Laughing

Yes, and now Mrs Miggins will feel happy knocking you off your bike as you were speeding. After all you got the idea Rolling Eyes .

All the best

Keith

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 20:36 - 26 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

True Laughing

I wouldn't personally do that anyway, I was only joking..

I tried to kick a wanker in an Alfa Romeo once as I turned right into a road and the twat was driving up the wrong side... I slid (sideways!!) across that lane out of his way, my right hand slipped and jammed throttle open for a split second, but somehow I had my hand on the clutch Shocked and just about stayed upright

Beeped at the twat who gave me a "it was your fault" look... TWAT

Well as I rode off I went to kick the rear wing of his nice Alfa and as I swung my leg out he drove off Rolling Eyes so I missed and swerved across half the road again Laughing

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 20:43 - 26 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christ alive boy, people make mistakes driving, you should be looking out for things like that anyway, its all part of the defensive riding.

and kicking cars. Good plan. Kick a metal box that weighs a tonne to try and piss off the person inside, who'll either get pissed off (no doubt at bikers in general) or laugh at you.

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 20:44 - 26 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its about time too, people driveing while on mobiles has always been a pet hate of mine, I know I have done it myself but it doesn't make it right.

I have often been driveing home from work and got stuck behind somebody driveing slowly drifting about because they are on their mobile.

The only thing which I would like to know about this whole this is how are they going to enforce it and will people actually take any notice of the new law.
20:02:36 Jammy-R6: any holes a goal
20:02:48 kev: even if its a hairy mans arse
20:02:56 Jammy-R6: hell yes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 20:49 - 26 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

robby wrote:
Christ alive boy, people make mistakes driving, you should be looking out for things like that anyway, its all part of the defensive riding.

With all respect mate, theres "mistakes" and theres driving down a road on the wrong side in rush hour traffic which joins a main road with people turning right onto said road not being able to see whats coming down it, due to the cars waiting to turn left onto the main road (if that makes sense)

The fact that I didn't hit him was due to me actually seeing him in time to move out the way. If it wasn't me, but a car going around that corner at that time, or maybe just another bike etc, then they'd have definetly hit the car.

I went to kick him because he was a twat and he had to know that.

He gave me a look to say it was my fault when it clearly wasn't.

He was on the wrong side of the road, driving forward without due care, no way he could have turned left or right as there was traffic in the other lane and buildings to his right. If someone had been coming around the corner faster, they'd have crashed.

Never a copper about when you need one! (unless your speeding!)

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:55 - 26 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

kev wrote:
The only thing which I would like to know about this whole this is how are they going to enforce it and will people actually take any notice of the new law.

Probably phone cams. It will be up to you to show beyond reasonable doubt that it was your passenger on the phone. Pictures will be taken from behind (cannot have the nasty bikers getting away with using a phone while riding just because they haven't got a front numberplate). You can of course go to court, but they will take no notice of what you say and will just double the fine.

The running of these cameras will be by "Safety Camera Partnerships". The profits will be hypothecated so that they can only be used to buy more cameras.

All the best

Keith

xlfive
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:14 - 26 Nov 2003    Post subject: Re: Mobile Phones and Cars Reply with quote

[quote="headlamp"]From Monday (1st December) it will be illegal for motorists to use a mobile phone while driving a car. They will be able to use hands free phones, but anyone putting one to their ear, or 'texting' will be liable to a £30 fine if caught.quote]
i think this new law is just another revenue earner, iwould like to see the pushbike crew be addressed after all they are allowed to use mobiles, roll a fag,weave all over the road ride on footpaths cause absolute mayhem,christ our council has even took our dual carrigeway out to create lanes for them all at our expence

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School

PostPosted: 21:32 - 26 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

How will these phone cams work, ie how will they be able to detect that someone is on their phone?

I find it interesting that you can get a £30 fine for doing something that endangers other road users and yourself but if you park illegally you get a £50 fine. Exclamation

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:36 - 26 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i get car drivers on the phone i just make a hell of a lot of noise, sometimes they shit it so bad they drop the phone.

The worst ones i get is people pulling out onto a roundabout in front of me, with a phone in one hand, and not being able to change down to get out of my way because they are trying to steer the car round the roundabout.

Anyway, the police have much more dangerous problems to deal with..........

Like dark visors

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:58 - 26 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny wrote:
How will these phone cams work, ie how will they be able to detect that someone is on their phone?

I was joking, although it will be interesting how close to reality it is on a few years time.

All the best

Keith

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School

PostPosted: 23:02 - 26 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
I was joking, although it will be interesting how close to reality it is on a few years time.
Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Damn you Laughing Embarassed

xlfive
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:46 - 26 Nov 2003    Post subject: Mobile Phones and Cars Reply with quote

problem solved

Ant
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:54 - 26 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

With this law, when will it stop? will they stop car drivers talking to a passenger?
i sometimes talk on my phone whilst driving (sorry) and i drive pretty much the same as when not on the phone, some people i see cant drive and talk, ie slow down to 50mph in the fast lane of the motorway! so i can understand the idea but... surly the law was better before where you got fined/done for driving without due care and attention rather than everyone getting done for talking on their phone and driving ok?

or is this just me trying to justify my phone driving?

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 23:56 - 26 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant wrote:
or is this just me trying to justify my phone driving?

Probably, what about the texting as well when you nearly drove us into a ditch on the way to mini moto? Rolling Eyes

Ant
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:00 - 27 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would have drove you into the ditch anyway plus i was miles off!

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 00:00 - 27 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloke from work is always texting or making calls when driving Rolling Eyes I've not really said owt to him but I hate driving with him. He also eats/drinks whilst trying to drive.

Annoying

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 00:01 - 27 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were yes but Laura and Mike were on the other side of the car nearly off the road! Twisted Evil

Ant
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:03 - 27 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

i eat whilst driving too!
And shaun the bend might have had someting to do with the movement of people, learn to drive before you make proper judgements and ride whilst your at it Laughing

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 00:06 - 27 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't make me come down there! Twisted Evil

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:11 - 27 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaun wrote:
Don't make me come down there! Twisted Evil

Yep, it is a long way on a CG125.

All the best

Keith Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 207 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2