Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Councils too powerful?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 19:38 - 10 May 2006    Post subject: Councils too powerful? Reply with quote

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/4758517.stm

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/4741120.stm

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tees/2955239.stm

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/3570368.stm

Has anyone else noticed that un-badged council 'officers' are getting sweeping powers to fine us for minor offenses?

Why do they have the right to do this, and who are they that their word would be believed above ours?

For example, I hold the same clearance levels as a police officer or prison officer, I exercise sweeping powers in the course of my duties - far beyond those of a litter warden.

Knowing that, how could his/her word be counted against mine in a court of law? What method of evidence gathering do they have? Do these fines rely on the 'criminal' confessing?

Why is it that minor fines like this/parking fines/speeding fines/council tax arrears are chased so vociferously, while 'real criminals' seldom have to pay their way?

It's really irritating me at the moment. I've worked for The Man almost my entire adult life, and I like to be able to respect authority. What I can't understand is why unelected and unbadged busybodies can have so much control over my life.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:43 - 10 May 2006    Post subject: Re: Councils too powerful? Reply with quote

Mister James wrote:
Why is it that minor fines like this/parking fines/speeding fines/council tax arrears are chased so vociferously, while 'real criminals' seldom have to pay their way?

Because they are mainly going after those who are naturally law abiding and who will pay up profitably.

All the best

Keith

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 21:01 - 10 May 2006    Post subject: Re: Councils too powerful? Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Mister James wrote:

Because they are mainly going after those who are naturally law abiding and who will pay up profitably.

All the best

Keith

Aye, I suspect that's the underlying reason.

Because of the crapness of the Harrow Council website, my housemate cannot set up a regular payment for the council tax, and thus occasionally forgets to pay it on time. Within 7 days, both of us receive little red letters advising us that a summons is being sought - it even gives the date.

It's absolutely disgraceful, threatening and bullying behaviour.

Naturally, the 3 emails I have sent to the council about various matters go unanswered - I'm struggling to understand why my £1400 a year goes - aside from the swarms of parking attendants who ignore dangerously parked drivers outside schools and settle for those overhanging the double yellows by an inch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:03 - 10 May 2006    Post subject: Re: Councils too powerful? Reply with quote

Mister James wrote:

Just hope that they go too far so you can report them to the police for demanding money with menaces Laughing .

All the best

Keith

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 21:09 - 10 May 2006    Post subject: Re: Councils too powerful? Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Mister James wrote:

Just hope that they go too far so you can report them to the police for demanding money with menaces Laughing .

All the best

Keith

My flatmate is an accountant - he couldn't bear to leave a bill unpaid, he has an excel spreadsheet with every penny of every bill/debt/missed round of drinks on it!

senna_f4
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 02:12 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Mr James, but I don't understand why this person should not be fined a measly £100
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/4741120.stm

Imagine you riding behind him;
1. Covered in chippy crap
2. Cover your helmet in the chippy wraping, unable to see and running over the little 6 year old kid riding its bike in the lawn after you lose control Shocked and squashing it to end its young life?

I tell you if I met some loser tossing crap like that he will suerly get something more steep than just a measly £100 fine.

Whilst I will not comment on the other links, as I do respect you opinion but where does the council draw the line?

Is it ok for me if I was 16 to leave a melting lolipop on your motorcycle seat, if my friend calls me while i am in the bike park?

Whilst I understand the points you raise, I am also aware that people who work for the council are like me and you. I bet you have moments in your job where you were frustrated a the measly punishments given out.

This is just my opinion, so please do not take any offence,
Thanks

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:17 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"It wasn't just a few chips - this was chip after chip and the wrapping as well," he said.

Omfg! That HAS to be in an Alan Partridge episode.

Problem with the council is that they seem to employ fucking mindless busybodies who think they are coppers and just go around being bastards to everyone.

That's my slightly less intelligent input to this thread Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 03:43 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Throws cigarette butt on ground*

"You just threw that cigarette butt on the ground"

"No I didn't."

"Yes you did, I saw you, that's a £75 fine."

"I did no such thing, you're making it up. Liar, Liar!"

"I'm issuing a ticket fining you £75."

"For what?"

"For littering."

"Didn't do it, wasn't me."

"Well you can appeal this but it could result in a fine of.... etc."

"Can I ask you a question?"

"Go ahead."

"Can you spell corroborration? Do you know what it means?"

"Why?"

"Because you'll need to when I take this to court and it is your word against mine."

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:01 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Can you spell corroborration?

Just make sure said attendant doesn't ask you the same question!
Wink Laughing

Raises a good point though: Will they need corroborating evidence if it went to court? Just who's word is strongest in the scheme of things?

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:01 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine the DNA kits some of them carry can be used to test ciggy butts as well, but that's probably bollocks.

senna_f4
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:07 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very sorry, but I simply don't understand what is wrong in trying to keep the city clean?
1. A kid pinches your stuff, everyone screams and kicks telling how lame the government is.
2. Some one gets done for littering, everone moans about how bad the council is.
3. Someone skids and breaks both legs on a bannana peel, everyone moans and bitches how slack the council is.

I think people who litter the city etc should be fined heavily, where do you think your tax goes into, cleaning peoples crap they leave.

Why do you think the kids of today vandalise your property, just because they don't get told off or fined for the havoc they cause.

Now what I feel is good down here is this sort of treatment for all the vandals
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_P._Fay

*Throws cigarette butt on ground*

"You just threw that cigarette butt on the ground"

"No I didn't."

"Sir, bend over"

"No"

*burly men grab him, into the classic doggy positon and strip him*

"Nooooooo!!!!"

*12 storkes of the finest cane on the bare butt of the offender*

"wimper, wimper"

"Sir this is your £1450 fine and a sentance to 4 months in prison"

"You can't do it, I will take you to court"

"sure, go on ahead"

"you will lose you a**holes" *My arse hurts*

"Can I ask you a question?"

"Go ahead."

"Can you spell corroborration? Do you know what it means?"

"Why?"

"Because you'll get thah when you go to court and it is your word against ours."

*litterman leaves to prison for a spell of hard labour, with a sore a** and a very light pocket*

Mr. Green

BFG
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:13 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

But are these not civil issues? Or do they have powers on the statute books?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

zaknafien

PostPosted: 12:43 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

byke95 wrote:
Just who's word is strongest in the scheme of things?

Anyone who isnt your average joe.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:47 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

senna_f4 wrote:
I am very sorry, but I simply don't understand what is wrong in trying to keep the city clean?

Nothing, just that the councils would rather spend money on catching people for minor things which they feel they can persue with little evidence (such as the council that tried to do people for mis using public bins when a postman dumped a load of junk mail in them) rather than actually bother to put any effort into the things people really care about, such as getting robbed.

All the best

Keith

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 12:53 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senna - I'm not supporting littering, I agree it's unpleasant and potentially hazardous.

I'm simply against unelected nobodies having the power to fine me without recourse to the courts or the police.

It seems like well-paid apparatchiks in local government have more power than the 'real' authorities.

senna_f4
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:19 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:

Nothing, just that the councils would rather spend money on catching people for minor things which they feel they can persue with little evidence rather than actually bother to put any effort into the things people really care about, such as getting robbed.

Mister James wrote:

I'm simply against unelected nobodies having the power to fine me without recourse to the courts or the police.
It seems like well-paid apparatchiks in local government have more power than the 'real' authorities.

Ok now I am getting more confused!

Kickstart wants the council to arrest robbers while Mr james wants the council to have less power?

I feel (correct me if i am wrong) the council and police try to sort simple problems as they are they ones that can get solved without a smart a** lawyer pulling something and ruining everything.

Who is to blame for this, the council, the police men, or the public
https://www.rochdaleobserver.co.uk/news/s/212/212702_runaway_driver_escapes_prison.html

Should you also blame the police for this? or would your rather blame the council?

Perhaps the council nobodies should be given powers to deal with minor issues such as littering, missuse of disabled parking spaces, vandalism, then may be the understaffed police will have no excuse but follow up things like robberies?

Lets be honest to have a nearly crime free state (for most people) you will need a policeman at every junction.

I think in England alone you will need like 4 million police men to carry this duty you speak of, and like 100,000 small courts (where lawyers SHOULD never be allowed) if you want all petty crime solved.

I think NSL in good roads etc should be raised to like 120mph on outer lanes with like 80 mph minimum, if you drive slower go on an A road. Enforce very strict speed limits in school/city areas with people, break the speed limit is a total impound of vehicle, and all preoceds from the sales of the vehicle goes to victims injured/killed in this area. Zero tolerance of dangerous driving on the motorway, with real policemen enforcing it.

Also have roads like the Nurburg ring, £2 a go, then people will be able to vent their speeding urge on those roads, no one will try silly things if they have proper places to rac on.

Steal to joyride, you will only get a licence to drive after a 10 year cool down period. Break the rules and you get no support from the council, who cares if you die of hunger, go get a job Twisted Evil

Pheww, I like to be a Darconian leader, like Darth Vader Mr. Green

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:22 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Councils are connected with the police, and have limited say.

The example you gave is the fault of the courts. But if the council was dealing with it they would have issued a ticket against those he ran over for failing to use the green cross code (irrespectibe of whether they were crossing the road), while ignoring the driver and hoping the police would deal with him.

Worst thing is how skewed the penalties are. If dropping litter deserved a £75 penalty, then how much should the penalty be for assault? Same scale probably the death penalty.

All the best

Keith

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 13:42 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

senna_f4 wrote:

Ok now I am getting more confused!

Kickstart wants the council to arrest robbers while Mr james wants the council to have less power?

No need for confusion, it's perfectly believable for people to have more than one complaint about our inefficient local governments.

Quote:

I feel (correct me if i am wrong) the council and police try to sort simple problems as they are they ones that can get solved without a smart a** lawyer pulling something and ruining everything.

As Keith has pointed out, why have they chosen to target 'crimes' that are so insignificant as to be irrelevant? I believe Keith has also provided the asnwer - it's all about easy pickings and easy revenue.

I worked as an officer in a busy magistrates court for 2 years, and £75 was more than the majority of career criminals paid for various crimes, all of which caused more misery and wasted more police time than leaving a lolly stick on a wall, or dropping chips out of a car.

As for smartarse lawyers - you can bet your little cotton bootees that I would be taking such a fine to court if I was served with it, on principle.

People accept that we require people to work in councils, and accept that they are going to sort themselves out with nice salaries and perks. What we do not need is yet another layer of government awarding itself powers to take even larger proportions of our disposable wedge to waste on final salary pensions for multicutural coordination officers.

innominate
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:58 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general I would like to see local government with more power & more independance from the main government. Effectivly replaceing the national government in all but unavoidably national issues, the armed forces for example.

As associate myself with living in Liverpool more than living in England. I don't give a flying fuck what happens in London & the south in general, it could sink for all I care.

That aside,
The littering fines etc.
They are just another way to try and discourage whatever people are being fined for. Sure , it would be much better to have discouragement that does not invole any monetary fine.
But I have no idea what you could implement in their place.
Unless its some kind of forced brainwashing, that "tho shalt not litter."
I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the customs agent. I am the coast-guard. I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:06 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

People littering are made to pick up litter for an hour or whatever?

I always liked the idea of making the punishment fit the crime.

However it would seem fair from the above cases for them to at least use some reason - ie do it once and get a warning, do it again and get a fine.

Definitely agree on the levels of crime / punishment.
Especially after I got a massive fine for something I now believe I was innocent off (vehicle stuff) when I see people doing massively 'worse' stuff than me and getting only slightly more.

Mrs Kickstart
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:15 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

as a total asside only a Court can inpose a fine, the councils impose charges.

You get a Parking charge notice, not a parking fine from the council etc.

Make them harder to collect if you dont pay Twisted Evil

Regards
C

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 14:45 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely then, you could avoid paying any littering charge as long as you weren't standing underneath a no littering sign?

They would never have enough evidence to take such a thing to court against your word - and if you were not reasonably informed of a charge, how can you be expected to pay it?

senna_f4
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:48 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

While everyone has their own views on how something should be done a few questions?
1. How does anyone know that the lolipop incident is correctly conveyed by the BBC? Was the BBC reporter there when the girl allegedly offered to bin the sweet/burst out crying? How verbal was the girl? Has she been doing this before, and the council waited till they could catch her red handed? Has she been warned verbally before?

I think many of this stuff is not as dramatic as it sounds, me thinks this person might not be an angel as BBC's sensational journalism suggests.

also while this sounds good G, lets see

1. You litter you clean, sounds fair to me.
By implication;
2. your graffati a wall you clean it, fair as well
3. you rape someone you become a policeman preventing rape, should be fair as well, can't fine someone can we?
4. You kill some one, you spend the rest of your life as a policemn preventing murder, sounds very fair.

Of course not, where do you draw the line?

I saw this incident;
1. young, healthy girl parks on disabled parking spot (too lazy to walk)
2. trafic warden clamps her car
4. old disabled person arrives, no place to park, parks in non diabled area, needs help to go inside building
5. Girl arrives and gives right bollocking to car park warden for clamping her.

From what I understand the girl is in the right isn't she, councils are too powerful. Poor sexy girl, if she walked a bit she would shed too many pounds Mr. Green

I do agree that the punishment should fit the crime, but the law should also be blind.

Trust me if I was judge dred, the girl would permanetly use the disabled parking lot Twisted Evil , such a sweet thing wouldn't get clamped or fined.

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 14:51 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

innominate wrote:

That aside,
The littering fines etc.
They are just another way to try and discourage whatever people are being fined for. Sure , it would be much better to have discouragement that does not invole any monetary fine.
But I have no idea what you could implement in their place.
Unless its some kind of forced brainwashing, that "tho shalt not litter."

My point is not so much that I am for littering, or against fines for doing it, it's the implementation.

Some of the stories mentioned above seem to imply that an 'off-duty' council employee has the power to take away my moolah on a whim, with no evidence required, nor any indication of this exalted status and position that he seems to have.

I know a police officer has powers to deal with me, just as I know he has gone through extensive training and checks to reach such a postion.

I know that, if imprisoned, a prison officer has powers over me, and it is clearly indicated in an act of parliment what those powers are, and who can wield them.

I know that, if a member of HM's armed forces, I am subject to military discipline - again, it and its practioners are clearly defined.

Who decides which council employees are suitable to wield these powers, and what reassurances do I have that they have been trained and checked and assessed before being given them? How do I know who is empowered to enforce this regulations, can any grey-suited clerk working at Harrow Civic Centre tell tales on me and get me fined? Why would their word be counted above mine, when even a police officer has to go to court and allow a Bench to assess the weight of his word against mine?

THAT is what concerns me.

innominate
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:57 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mby this is the real reason the Government is getting rid of trial by Jury Shocked
I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the customs agent. I am the coast-guard. I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 18 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3