Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Elite:Dangerous

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 15:22 - 18 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've really uprated the combat in this game now. I took a bounty mission to kill a pirate lord, which used to be easy as anything. I finally find the guy (after happening across a couple of NPCs that said "He's over there, but sod taking him on"), only to discover that he's ranked as Elite, and in a fully upgraded Anaconda.

https://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/02/nope.gif

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:01 - 18 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I aborted my mission when you went boom.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 16:07 - 18 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

lihp wrote:
I aborted my mission when you went boom.
I didn't go so far as to go boom - I managed to scarper before he caused any serious harm. Still, sod taking on highly-ranked Anacondas in a Cobra.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:58 - 19 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pork Lord vs. the Pirate Lord! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:54 - 19 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a decent night last night, until I got fined for the illegal cargo that I forgot I was carrying. Laughing

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 15:09 - 19 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a fair degree of success with random combat today, and I've also managed a fair bit of smuggling too.
Despite the endless reams of bawwwing happening on the frontier forums, I'm really enjoying the way the game has turned out.

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:10 - 19 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've avoided the forums, as I'm really enjoying it, and the bawwwwing will put a downer on something that I have never seen.

rideslikean00...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:31 - 20 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Nearly two decades since the release of Frontier First Encounters and it's actually pretty good? Not that I personally have a powerful enough rig to handle it, my last surviving desktop PC is pushing eight years old and has an early dual core processor (Pentium D) with a graphics card that does 1080p HD video decoding and that's about it.

I wonder if it's worth getting a decent machine, big investment for me though. I haven't custom built a PC in a long time but I loved the two Elite sequels. Even with the bugs and gameplay deficiencies, they were captivating.

People with way more experience PC building than me, what's a good minimum spec for playability of Elite: Dangerous - I'm talking a stable frame rate of 30fps at 720p resolution for as little money as possible, ideally with some sort of joystick into the package.

INB4

https://www.laweekly.com/imager/beavis-and-butthead/b/big/4168963/0abf/beavis550.jpg

Huhuhuh, you said "joystick into the package". Rolling Eyes Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:55 - 22 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

rideslikean00b wrote:
Interesting. Nearly two decades since the release of Frontier First Encounters and it's actually pretty good? Not that I personally have a powerful enough rig to handle it, my last surviving desktop PC is pushing eight years old and has an early dual core processor (Pentium D) with a graphics card that does 1080p HD video decoding and that's about it.

I wonder if it's worth getting a decent machine, big investment for me though. I haven't custom built a PC in a long time but I loved the two Elite sequels. Even with the bugs and gameplay deficiencies, they were captivating.

People with way more experience PC building than me, what's a good minimum spec for playability of Elite: Dangerous - I'm talking a stable frame rate of 30fps at 720p resolution for as little money as possible, ideally with some sort of joystick into the package.

INB4

It's more like Elite than Frontier or First Encounters sadly. The control method, the ships, the combat, the trading and the physics, it's all a little more like the original game.

I have an AMD 5000+ cpu, 8gb of RAM and a GEForce GTX260. It runs smoothly but it looks like a game from 10 years ago. One of the best things about the game as I see it is that the detail level is massively adjustable and it is still playable on lower end machines it seems.

I am tempted to go for a GTX970 card and a new monitor though. Some of the youtube videos taken from high end machines look amazing...

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 14:30 - 22 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Encounters was meant to be the worst one, wasn't it?

I have an HD 6770 for sale, if you want. Personally, I'd also put the 35 quid down on a cheap hotas setup: the game is seriously improved by it.
8GB of RAM is more than sufficient: the game is 32 bit, so uses less than 4GB. Quad-core CPUs are listed as being minimum spec. I've got a six-core AMD, and have had no problems thus far.

Ignore MarJay's apparent bitterness: he's still grumpy about docking issues Laughing

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:07 - 22 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
First Encounters was meant to be the worst one, wasn't it?

I have an HD 6770 for sale, if you want. Personally, I'd also put the 35 quid down on a cheap hotas setup: the game is seriously improved by it.
8GB of RAM is more than sufficient: the game is 32 bit, so uses less than 4GB. Quad-core CPUs are listed as being minimum spec. I've got a six-core AMD, and have had no problems thus far.

Ignore MarJay's apparent bitterness: he's still grumpy about docking issues Laughing

That's not the only bug I've found Gerry!, It's a buggy game. it's buggier than the version of First Encounters I had, and that's saying something.

First Encounters first release was the buggiest version, but it was basically Frontier: Elite 2 with some nicer ships, an extra hidden story line and some mildly improved graphics. The patched version was fine. The main difference between Firstenc, Frontier and Dangerous is that you can't land on planets in Dangerous, just like the very first elite.

Don't get me wrong, I like the game very much, but it plays like a Beta rather than a full release IMO.

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:47 - 22 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

To quote Cansa.

User training issue.

metalangel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 22 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll actually start playing it properly tomorrow. Fired up for a quick go last night and just did the tutorials to remind myself what the controls were.

Am I being thick, is there an option to padlock your target like in other flight/combat sims?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:04 - 22 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

lihp wrote:
To quote Cansa.

User training issue.

I know how to dock, I've done it successfully a number of times now, and I'm telling you that the 3D representation of the landing pad did not appear despite me hovering over the correct landing pad, and having my undercarriage deployed.

dabigginger
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:50 - 22 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

metalangel wrote:
Am I being thick, is there an option to padlock your target like in other flight/combat sims?

Press T. Also try the combat training and watch the videos. They're massively helpful Smile

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 19:38 - 22 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely not short of kinks that need ironing out, but my experience of it has been pretty well bug free for the last several point releases.

Solo and private group play increase the stability massively, since it's less prone to server latency in those modes.

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:42 - 23 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
lihp wrote:
To quote Cansa.

User training issue.

I know how to dock, I've done it successfully a number of times now, and I'm telling you that the 3D representation of the landing pad did not appear despite me hovering over the correct landing pad, and having my undercarriage deployed.

In true BCF fashion, pics or it didn't happen.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:53 - 23 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out I might maybe possibly have an Eagle in addition to my sidewinder...

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:24 - 24 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I had an Eagle. It was given to me as a Kickstarter backer, and I owned it rather than it being loaned like the Sidewinder. I took it out and flew it around for a bit but it didn't seem all that, and had 2 tonnes of cargo space so I sold it.

Now I have a Hauler which Gerry described to me as a Space Transit Van. Seems about right, it even has Ford style air vents in the dash.

I've found some decent trade routes and also have done a few haulage missions from the bulletin board. These are generally more lucrative than trading, and are pretty much guaranteed income. They also increase rapidly in reward, but also get harder and harder in time limit.

I was attacked once whilst in the Hauler last night, and I was just making some headway against the bad guy's Viper when the Space Filth came along and took the kill. Shame, I could have done with a nice bounty.

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:42 - 24 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selling the eagle due to 2T cargo space misses the point a little Wink

You could have kept the eagle, and added more space to the sidewinder.

It's meant as a light combat ship, very manouverable, mine has earned me over 250k in bounties, I'm now back in a kitted out Viper Thumbs Up

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 11:02 - 24 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sold the Cobra in the end. I've now got a fully tricked-out Viper for hunting, and a fairly basic Type 6 for larger-scale hauling. The Cobra was very fun, but I really wanted something a bit more specific to each role.

Protip - ships and modules/weapons are cheaper at Shinrarta Dezhra.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:38 - 24 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

lihp wrote:

It's meant as a light combat ship, very manouverable, mine has earned me over 250k in bounties, I'm now back in a kitted out Viper Thumbs Up

Yeah but I'm not at a stage where I want to go bounty hunting. I just need to slog to earn credits, then I'm going to buy a huge ship with huge lasers.

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 24 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
lihp wrote:

Yeah but I'm not at a stage where I want to go bounty hunting. I just need to slog to earn credits, then I'm going to buy a huge ship with huge lasers.

You'll be surprised how quick you can earn, I did 40k last night in 25 minutes.

NE somehow manages to earn much more, much quicker though

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 14:17 - 24 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

lihp wrote:

You'll be surprised how quick you can earn, I did 40k last night in 25 minutes.

NE somehow manages to earn much more, much quicker though

It's because I'm a southerner, I'm sure.

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 24 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

London Tax
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 165 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8