Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bubbs Chapel Conversion Thread...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

swampy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:23 - 07 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume that Kevin McCloud has been round, what with the roof disaster and the newborn baby... Definitely his MO Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:54 - 07 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

swampy wrote:
I assume that Kevin McCloud has been round, what with the roof disaster and the newborn baby... Definitely his MO Wink

Ha ha, it is his MO. But no, the pompous McCloud has not been by, well not that I know of Neutral

SQL
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:50 - 07 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

I may have a box of 100m Cat 6 you can have for postage in the stores, not sure if it got chucked or not before christmas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:18 - 07 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
With ethernet, use CAT 6 cable, decide where you want sockets, add a few extra, all cables should go to the same place, somewhere out of the way and preferably central where you plug them all into a switch. Cat6 is rated to 100m, however shorter the better. Thumbs Up

Exactly what I did with our house renovation last year. I put two Cat 6 and two co-ax outlets in every room except for the sitting room (four of each), family room (4 Ethernet, 2 co-ax) and spare room/office (ditto).

This all ran to a central cupboard where I have the broadband modem/router and a gigabit network switch. I also had 4 co-ax run from where the satellite dish was going to be, so these feed into the same cupboard from where I can patch them to any room. If I was doing it again, I would run 8 from the dish, to allow for various Sky+ and/or Freesat options from an 8-port LNB. I do also have one co-ax running from the loft, so I could hook up an aerial one day, if I wanted.

I considered wired audio but decided if I want it in the future I will go down the Sonos route, as I couldn't be sure where I wanted speakers etc.

Remember to consider any needs outside... power, data etc for out-buildings, Xmas lights, CCTV or other outside use.

I used Cat 6 for current and future-proofing. Again, I considered optical but decided to go a bit more mainstream. Wired can also be used for stuff like telephone, HDMI and other data shifting.

Do not underestimate what you might want to plug in. Without really trying, in our family room we have the PS3, Apple TV and Sky+ box plugged into Ethernet. And that's without a smart TV or blu-ray player. Elsewhere there is a desktop PC and Vodafone SureSignal with the possibility of a NAS HD drive, printer, additional TV(s), blu-ray player and so on... you get the point.

Chinaboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:51 - 08 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread rocks!!

You are doing a great job, looking forward to the next update. Thumbs Up

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 08 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
chris-red wrote:
With ethernet, use CAT 6 cable, decide where you want sockets, add a few extra, all cables should go to the same place, somewhere out of the way and preferably central where you plug them all into a switch. Cat6 is rated to 100m, however shorter the better. Thumbs Up

Exactly what I did with our house renovation last year. I put two Cat 6 and two co-ax outlets in every room except for the sitting room (four of each), family room (4 Ethernet, 2 co-ax) and spare room/office (ditto).

This all ran to a central cupboard where I have the broadband modem/router and a gigabit network switch. I also had 4 co-ax run from where the satellite dish was going to be, so these feed into the same cupboard from where I can patch them to any room. If I was doing it again, I would run 8 from the dish, to allow for various Sky+ and/or Freesat options from an 8-port LNB. I do also have one co-ax running from the loft, so I could hook up an aerial one day, if I wanted.

I considered wired audio but decided if I want it in the future I will go down the Sonos route, as I couldn't be sure where I wanted speakers etc.

Remember to consider any needs outside... power, data etc for out-buildings, Xmas lights, CCTV or other outside use.

I used Cat 6 for current and future-proofing. Again, I considered optical but decided to go a bit more mainstream. Wired can also be used for stuff like telephone, HDMI and other data shifting.

Do not underestimate what you might want to plug in. Without really trying, in our family room we have the PS3, Apple TV and Sky+ box plugged into Ethernet. And that's without a smart TV or blu-ray player. Elsewhere there is a desktop PC and Vodafone SureSignal with the possibility of a NAS HD drive, printer, additional TV(s), blu-ray player and so on... you get the point.

Thank you for this reply, ok so if you look at the following plans could you tell me if it makes sense?

What would you do with this space?

https://i.imgur.com/dkjflLJ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/cT3dEqD.jpg

Quote:
This all ran to a central cupboard where I have the broadband modem/router and a gigabit network switch. I also had 4 co-ax run from where the satellite dish was going to be, so these feed into the same cupboard from where I can patch them to any room.

You mentioned patching - how does this work? Is there other tech you need to patch? (Have no clue about this stuff)

All I know is that a coax allows tvs in all rooms of the house to watch whatever is on sky. Does having more than one coax allow more things? Will I for example be able to change the channel on the sky box from upstairs etc.

Also would you run all the ethernet cables and coax to the same spot?

Any advice would be appreciated.

(I've attached PDF's of the plans just in case someone would like to draw their own designs)

EDIT: Also what speaker cables should I buy? Not sure if there are different types but be good to know what you all think

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 15:32 - 08 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an awesome project , now you have probably already said but I picture whored through the entire thread .

When was the chapel built ?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:59 - 08 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wave2k wrote:
What an awesome project , now you have probably already said but I picture whored through the entire thread .

When was the chapel built ?

Chapel was built:

https://www.cwmammanhistory.co.uk/Amman_Valley_History/images/Ysgoldy_Mynydd_Du_2011_5.jpg

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:23 - 08 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
You mentioned patching - how does this work? Is there other tech you need to patch? (Have no clue about this stuff)

We use patch panels in Broadcasting. Basically it's just a way of routing signals one to one using short moveable cables to connect the longer permanent cables together in a one-to-one way:

https://cdn.bikechatforums.com/files/patchpanel.jpg

Normally you have a panel of inputs and a panel of outputs which you connect together. You'd probably do that with coax video or aerial cables.

In the case of ethernet cables you can put them all into a router which connects them all together anyway in practice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:34 - 08 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're installing CCTV you could power the cameras over ethernet cabling using POE (Power Over Ethernet) injectors from your central comms cabinet. This means just a single cable to each camera carrying both power and video.

Mark

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 17:39 - 08 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW and apology of covered but I recall a thread on here once that said double up on the ethernet (cat 6) points. This was I believe to allow HD video? I forget the details but I do recall thinking it was a good idea for whatever the reason.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

GrumpyGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:32 - 09 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only just noticed this thread. You mentioned to me in the car (BBQ) what your plans were for this when we drove past this and I thought it would be awsome.

Well, yeah it is! Can't wait to see it finished, Dude Very Happy

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:08 - 09 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrumpyGuts wrote:
I've only just noticed this thread. You mentioned to me in the car (BBQ) what your plans were for this when we drove past this and I thought it would be awsome.

Ah you were in the car with me? Yeah we only had a quick look but this is the place.

Dalemac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:14 - 09 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
GrumpyGuts wrote:

Ah you were in the car with me? Yeah we only had a quick look but this is the place.

Yeah and I was.

Bubbs, hats off to you, you are coped way better than i think i could. I'd have murdered the new designer by now over those roofing issues!

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:28 - 09 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:
If you're installing CCTV you could power the cameras over ethernet cabling using POE (Power Over Ethernet) injectors from your central comms cabinet. This means just a single cable to each camera carrying both power and video.

Mark

I was just thinking the same thing.
https://www.powerethernet.com/product/range.html

Also, has the OP thought about wifi coverage?

Is there such a thing as a power outlet with integrated powerline networking > wifi ?

Cos that would be handy.

One more thing,

Use these.
https://i.imgur.com/XildYjB.jpg

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:56 - 09 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Cansa on the USB integrated sockets but make sure you buy decent ones (I'm sure you would) - there is some shoddy crap out there.

https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/mediafile/100145109/web_usb-article-from-so32.pdf

Iain.
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 11:05 - 09 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have never seen those USB wall sockets before, very cool! Karma Thumbs Up

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:42 - 09 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got some good advice here.

To cover some points:

Yes, I ran everything to the same location in each room and in my "switch room", which houses my router/wifi, network switch and co-ax patching. In truth, so far I have only a limited number of coax and ethernet requirements so I have all ethernet cables connected directly to a port on the switch and co-ax is 'patched' simply by using an f-type female-to-female between the source cable (from the dish) and the room feed cable. Don't forget you'll need power in this cupboard.

In the rooms I used the Click New Media modular faceplates and appropriate modules - all co-ax are terminated with an f-type at both ends (male at the room faceplate and female in the switchroom) and all ethernet with a Cat 6 port at the room faceplate and a Cat 6 RJ45 plug in the switchroom.

You can use ethernet to transmit HDMI but it needs an adaptor and it takes up two ethernet cables. So if you had a Blu-ray in one room you could send a full HD signal to a TV in another, by sending the signal from the Blu-ray into ethernet then patching the rooms together at the switchroom. If you had a Sky box you could use the co-ax output from it to send it to another room, but this would be standard definition only and would be an RF-modulated signal (so you would have to 'tune' your TV in to the signal). If you were using a Sky box remotely you can control them using a TV Link (Magic Eye) with a Sky remote, or (my preference) use the iPhone/iPad app to control it over wifi.

I can't see any need for 8 co-ax at any location - at most I would say 4 (so two satellite feeds, maybe one for signal return and one for a Freeview aerial source). I may be overlooking something though.

Also think about how you get the broadband feed to the switchroom. I had a Cat 6 cable run from the telephone master socket (just inside the front door) to the switchroom. Once the master socket was connected to the phone line I used the Cat 6 as a massively over-engineered phone extension line (ie I used only 2 of the 8 available strands) to put an extension socket in the switchroom, which the broadband router plugs into. This is ADSL broadband.

My future aspiration is to get a small rack into which I will mount co-ax and ethernet patch panels and the network switch. I may also look into a proper AV distribution system, but that is something of a pipe dream. At least I have the connectivity in place to enable this (and plenty of other stuff) should I want it.

I do also use wifi (tablets, phones etc) but if a device has ethernet I will use it, and when selecting a new device I will prefer an ethernet-enabled one. Whilst the speed limit I have at the moment is my broadband (for online streaming/downloading etc), internal streaming is fast (so streaming stuff from the PC upstairs to the TV downstairs via PS3 or Apple TV, for example).

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:00 - 09 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:

Mark

More expensive but neater would be to use a POE network switch. These can provide power directly over the ethernet cables.

Mark

DOS
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:56 - 15 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job Bubbs.

I was watching restoration man on C4 last night and it reminded me

of this thread.

A very old school.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xDJMrYM2NOQ

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:19 - 11 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the info on Media (Cat 6 / Coax etc.) - A BCF member 'Cashhead' who is an audio/video engineer has literally baby walked me through it and sorted me out cheap speaker cable, and knocked up a Cable Schedule all for £0 pounds. The guy is a legend, and if he comes to the BCF BBQ he will be getting plenty of drinks.

So, here is the design for the house - showing what is going where. As you can see I've used my mad MS Paint skills to do this.

Ground Floor Lighting / Power Plan
https://i.imgur.com/1vtNUqx.jpg

First Floor Lighting / Power Plan
https://i.imgur.com/XJ5aWJG.jpg

Media: Cable Schedule attached for anyone interested (images wont make sense without it)

Ground Floor Media
https://i.imgur.com/JKhyMvL.jpg

First Floor Media
https://i.imgur.com/TMVLaTv.jpg

Further Progress with house

Upstairs - we finished with all the studwork and the roof trusses are all up. Floor boards down upstairs so I can finally walk around upstairs.
https://i.imgur.com/uoGAfcB.jpg

Roofer arrived and felted and battened. You can see from this picture where the wall ends and where we have to build it up.
https://i.imgur.com/TOOch9f.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/vFrVSo9.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/N01zE7r.jpg

Again with the pine end
https://i.imgur.com/dHiXJe3.jpg

We had to build up the wall for both pine ends and for the South and North wall which gave us around 300mm more head room upstairs. Expensive mistake with trusses resulted in a positive result.

In this picture you can see the new Facia in place and the stone work built up. It is a pretty decent job - if you didn't know there was a straight line join there you wouldn't see it.
https://i.imgur.com/YbLKFwO.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/zlLeddP.jpg

This weekend I got up on the scaffolding on a stunning weekend and got the facias all painted up. The colour almost matches the windows not quite. Went for a deep mahogany. Surprising how much of a difference a bit of paint makes.
https://i.imgur.com/qMknaSQ.jpg

Here is a shot of the full house to show off my painting skills
https://i.imgur.com/mM0tZ8b.jpg

Studwork gone in upstairs. We now have bedrooms Cool
https://i.imgur.com/h43QRFP.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/GiiESyz.jpg

And downstairs, the electrics are going in. Fuzzy pic but you can see it slowly taking shape. You can also see my wood burning stove that I bought off Gumtree for £100.00

https://i.imgur.com/pSZ2NE5.jpg

New windows have been installed. These are lovely, can't wait for the scaffolding to come down so I can show them off properly. You can see we have started fire retardant foaming the openings to the timber frame.
https://i.imgur.com/dJB5RKi.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ful2Ziu.jpg

Also decided to tackle the front entrance on the weekend. There was a tree growing out of the front.

https://i.imgur.com/5DgrH3F.jpg

The stump of a tree splitting my brickwork
https://i.imgur.com/WALquH6.jpg

Little bastard
https://i.imgur.com/XNj5Jtg.jpg

Pulled the window out - started pulling bricks out one by one.

https://i.imgur.com/KWftkTa.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/39AkVFd.jpg

This fucking thing was huge - had to take loads out

https://i.imgur.com/3nf28Lc.jpg

But I was victorious (fuck you root):

https://i.imgur.com/whnf4B9.jpg

MORE TO COME

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 19:07 - 11 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.techwyse.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/6.jpg

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:23 - 12 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continued....

Internal skin of brickwork rebuilt with the use of a lintel and some celcon blocks and bricks

https://i.imgur.com/g6VCEoV.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/k1gveIx.jpg

External built back up with bricks. Needs a facia and soffit and she will be looking lovely.

https://i.imgur.com/AuQAeub.jpg

Internal: Utility room needed to have a waterproof covering to the brickwork. I was toying with the idea of doing stud wall but it would have taken too much space. So elected to go for Feb Render Mix waterproofer mixed in with cement. Slapped it all on the brickwork and then once dry doused it with more render mix to make sure no water seeped through.

https://i.imgur.com/fA0rYvV.jpg

Utility room now dry, currently in the process of battening it out with 2inch timber

https://i.imgur.com/XLHnypP.jpg

And insulating with 2 inch Kingspan foiled insulation.

https://i.imgur.com/xqFbTtr.jpg

Only other updates are that I got the electric supply fixed into the house as it had come out and we were being quite blasé about man handling the cable - if there was even a nick in it we would have been brown bread. Electric company told me to keep well away from it even though I'd been man handling it for a good few months.

https://i.imgur.com/I62veVO.jpg

Also decided I would give electrics a go and move all the breaker box and associated cables myself. I put a crowbar to it, ripped out two of the main feed cables which started sparking like fuck.... I shit myself. However once the main power was hanging loose there was no more power going to the breaker/fuze so I moved it all and got my electrician mate to re-connect. Was going to do it myself but I was on my own and sense prevailed.

https://i.imgur.com/d53G68h.jpg

Temporarily installed the wood burner. Need to buy a vitreous pipe and a couple of other things to do it properly but it works as a temporary heating solution.

https://i.imgur.com/quTtQ46.jpg

The flexi flue you can see above is cemented into the chimney cavity with a mix of vermiculite and cement.

She's fully connected all the way up the chimney. With a flashing kit and a chimney cowl. I went for black in the end because Chrome seems to blacken from soot.

https://i.imgur.com/I4eXTZs.jpg

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 18 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

*UPDATE*

Finally got the roofers on site to get the slates on. Came back from work and they got this much done including installing roof lights.
https://i.imgur.com/7LmbX6r.jpg

They didn't come again for a week - it was lovely weather too - instead they waited until a storm came blowing in and got back on with the work - but had to stop after a couple of hours due to inclement weather.

As you can see I have gone for reclaimed slate to give it the proper look. New slates would have looked out of place IMO
https://i.imgur.com/OvVhEVM.jpg

One side complete with some new ridge tiles. I was aiming to use old ridge tiles but someone managed to smash a couple while trying to put them into place.... Mad
https://i.imgur.com/7PA6zmv.jpg

The other side getting done
https://i.imgur.com/I41p5jV.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/lFFrrLU.jpg

The other side complete - along with the porch area
https://i.imgur.com/EcmYNJ8.jpg

Circular windows gone in and glazed Mr. Green
https://i.imgur.com/M2h4D0Y.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/7f2PWsx.jpg

Inside:
This is the lean to / utility room - This hatch is where the upstairs manifold for Underfloor Heating will be located
https://i.imgur.com/s3DMaaz.jpg

Panning right from picture above
https://i.imgur.com/4d3iiOw.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/9msDAFK.jpg

SCAFFOLDING COMES DOWN!
These are my favourite pictures to date - these are new vs old

NEW: The house from behind
https://i.imgur.com/C8oDisI.jpg

OLD:
https://www.cwmammanhistory.co.uk/Amman_Valley_History/images/Ysgoldy_Mynydd_Du_2011_2.jpg

Side on
https://i.imgur.com/8gjzHmD.jpg

OLD:
https://www.cwmammanhistory.co.uk/Amman_Valley_History/images/Ysgoldy_Mynydd_Du_2011_3.jpg

Front (please ignore the building site look - it will look better) - Once windows are glazed and I paint up the facias to match it will really start to look the part.
https://i.imgur.com/bgE96CX.jpg

OLD:
https://www.cwmammanhistory.co.uk/Amman_Valley_History/images/Ysgoldy_Mynydd_Du_2011_1.jpg

Remaining Jobs

- Seal all window reveals
- Paint facias
- Install rainwater goods
- Install drainage for rainwater (gullies/pipes etc)
- Dig trenches for ground source heat pump piping
- Finish pointing
- Paint sills
- Install media wiring (Cat 6, Speaker etc)
- Insulate all walls
- Insulate floor in preparation for UFH Pipes
- Lay UFH pipes
- Screed all floors
- Connect GSHP to all pipes
- Plasterboard walls
- 2nd fix electrics and plumbing
- Carpet / Wood Floors / Tiling
- Install kitchen/bathrooms etc
- Clear site
- Snagging
- Move in
- Open a beer and have a BBQ.

Dance!

atg90
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:43 - 18 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is brilliant. The fact that you have incorporated all electrical cabling at this stage is good. I work for a media company and regularly cable houses... It seems such a shame when someones nice house gets spoilt by a black CATV cable running around the outside of it. So the fact that your cabling is all hidden inside the walls and going back to one point is mint.

Can't wait to see this finished, as I bet you are. All the best in the finishing stages, I'm jealous!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 82 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 6 of 11