Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Todays - What grinds my gears *ARCHIVE*

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 669, 670, 671 ... 696, 697, 698  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:39 - 20 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Halfruads saga has concluded with a positive Thumbs Up
The Cromer branch is fairly close to me.
So while I was out getting some essentials, I stopped off there.
I spoke to someone sensible who had some idea of what I was talking about.
Low and behold, he came back with an equivalent alternative Smile
Same amp/hours etc etc.
Pennies exchanged and Pepperami walks away happy.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:47 - 20 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't even trust Halfords to replace an indicator bulb on my car....

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:24 - 20 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't decide wheter to buy a new guitar. My local guitar shop has a few Kramer Baretta Vintage guitars in stock. I've always wanted a Baretta, but I didn't have the money the first time these ''retro/vintage'' Kramers came by. Now I've got the money, but I'm very reluctant to buy a Floyd Rose tremolo guitar. Normally I would ask the shop wether I could come by and try the guitar in the shop, but due to Covid, and guitars not being essential for survival of the population, the guitar shop is closed, e-shop only.

Decisions, decisions, ... Thinking

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:38 - 20 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
I can't decide wheter to buy a new guitar. My local guitar shop has a few Kramer Baretta Vintage guitars in stock. I've always wanted a Baretta, but I didn't have the money the first time these ''retro/vintage'' Kramers came by. Now I've got the money, but I'm very reluctant to buy a Floyd Rose tremolo guitar. Normally I would ask the shop wether I could come by and try the guitar in the shop, but due to Covid, and guitars not being essential for survival of the population, the guitar shop is closed, e-shop only.

Any possibility of returning it if you don't get on with it when you try it for the first time?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:06 - 20 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

One of my homey type bestest mates owns a guitar /muzic shop & I'm very sorry to be the one to point this out to you. But . . . .

When you go in the shop EVERY FREAQKIN WEEK week to buy a guitar & do nowt' more than (badly) repeat the famus riff from your genre of choice on each & EVERY FUKKIN GEETAR in the shop, all you are actually doing is pissing off the nice man who owns the shop & every genuine customer who happenes to be in there at the same time.

Masturbation is best performed in private, it involves YOUR fingers on YOUR equipment. Not in public on a Sat'day PM in a shop stocked with £100'000's worth of stock that is not on sale or return.

Do you know what the word 'jam' means???

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:52 - 20 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

When you go in the shop EVERY FREAQKIN WEEK week to buy a guitar & do nowt' more than (badly) repeat the famus riff from your genre of choice on each & EVERY FUKKIN GEETAR in the shop, all you are actually doing is pissing off the nice man who owns the shop & every genuine customer who happenes to be in there at the same time.

Masturbation is best performed in private, it involves YOUR fingers on YOUR equipment. Not in public on a Sat'day PM in a shop stocked with £100'000's worth of stock that is not on sale or return.

Do you know what the word 'jam' means???

So why have you assumed that Rhyno goes into his local guitar shop every week and conforms to your description? I can't see anything in his post that suggests that. Confused
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:03 - 20 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back Scuttler has such a shit life despite his acres of land, money and 32 bikes that he has to lash out at everyone.

Shows that money isn't everything in life.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:47 - 20 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Any possibility of returning it if you don't get on with it when you try it for the first time?

The law (here) does say that if you buy something online, you have 14 days to return it, however, I'm not one of those people who would do that. Also, I would have to ship the guitar back via postal/parcel delivery service, since the shop is closed.

JackButler wrote:
One of my homey type bestest mates owns a guitar /muzic shop & I'm very sorry to be the one to point this out to you. But . . . .

I've never done that and I never will. When I want to buy something, anything, I check the specs online, read about it a bit, and then I go to the shop with cash in my pocket to buy it. With guitars though, I'm quite picky when it comes to neck profiles. Otherwise, I don't really enjoy browsing stuff in shops.

When it comes to clothes and shoes, well. I've been buying the same brand of shoes for 20 years now, so when I really need shoes, I just go online, check what shops in my area have my brand of shoes, then go there, pick the black or dark blue ones, try them on, if they fit (so far they always did) and I buy two pairs of them and walk away. T-shirts are even eaiser for me. 15 years ago I've discovered, that having all the t-shirts the same saves me a lot of time. All of my ''everyday wear'' t-shirts are exactly the same: plain black, with no decals, no branding, no graphic desings etc., £1,50 per t-shirt. All are the same size, cut and made by the same company. My father even buys me 5 of those every Christmass as a gift. That's how I refresh the inventory. Heavily worn t-shirts go on my ''rags for wiping stuff in garage'' pile.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:00 - 20 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

What is it that you think you won't like about a Floyd Rose?

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:17 - 20 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
What is it that you think you won't like about a Floyd Rose?

I've never owned one, but have read a lot about unhappy owners who have. My mate used to own a Floyd rose equipped guitar, perhaps a Floyd rose copy, and his procedure before playing was always taking the backing plate off and using a screw driver. While all I had to ever do, with my solid bridge guitars, was to check the tuning by ear.

However, I am willing to join the club, but I do have to try the neck profile of that particular Baretta model before purchase. I'm also reading online about ways how to lock the Floyd rose in place and how to turn it into ''dive only'' system, if it gets too fiddly for me to keep the tremolo level.

*For those who are interested, google ''Tremol-No Pin''

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:29 - 20 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

The law (here) does say that if you buy something online, you have 14 days to return it, however, I'm not one of those people who would do that. Also, I would have to ship the guitar back via postal/parcel delivery service, since the shop is closed.

One of the reasons I don't buy much online is I can't be bothered with the faff of returning stuff, so I get that. I'm with Peppers: I'd much rather just go into a shop and buy something having checked it out physically where possible. I'd certainly want to do that with an expensive guitar.

Not much of a fan of tremolos myself. My Strat's tremolo is locked, arm removed. For one thing, it encourages me to improve my technique, and I don't play anything much that suits wild dive-bombing sounds.

I presume once a locking trem is set up, it can pretty much be left alone? I had a Washburn G2V with one for a short while as a beginner guitar, and don't remember having to fiddle with it.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:53 - 20 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I remember hearing about it and seeing it with my own eyes, the main issue with floating bridges is to keep them level, horizontally with the instrument. There's no solid stop that the tremolo would rest on. It's held in its place by tension of springs that are probably susceptible to heat and rough usage. So if you lock it in place, all of the above is no longer an issue. That however raises a question, why pay for something, that you're not going to use. Thinking

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:59 - 20 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
So if you lock it in place, all of the above is no longer an issue. That however raises a question, why pay for something, that you're not going to use. Thinking

So I guess it's a question of does the guitar have enough else to offer you?* is there a non-FR version?

*Well, you don't know, do you, cos you don't get to go to the shop and try it Sad

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:36 - 21 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:
So if you lock it in place, all of the above is no longer an issue. That however raises a question, why pay for something, that you're not going to use. Thinking

So I guess it's a question of does the guitar have enough else to offer you?* is there a non-FR version?

Nope, it's a Baretta (replica). The Floyd Rose tremolo, just like the single humbucker from Seymour Duncan, is what makes this that 80's guitar.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:23 - 21 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chancers. Middle Finger

Quote:
Responding to a Freedom of Information request, the MoD said it "received notification of six claims", three of which were from people in Essex, although the locations of the other three were not specified.

"The alleged damage is to windows (two claims), dislodged roof tiles (two claims), a television and a wall picture," the MoD said.

It added: "The MoD has not settled any claims arising from the sonic incident on 12 January 2021."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-56125192

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:48 - 21 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobster, you shoulda got Korn to change the custom title for your latest adversary :

https://www.legalcheek.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/symbol.jpg

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:54 - 21 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Nobster, you shoulda got Korn to change the custom title for your latest adversary :

https://www.legalcheek.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/symbol.jpg

Thats too long.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:27 - 21 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
When it comes to clothes and shoes, well. I've been buying the same brand of shoes for 20 years now, so when I really need shoes, I just go online, check what shops in my area have my brand of shoes, then go there, pick the black or dark blue ones, try them on, if they fit (so far they always did) and I buy two pairs of them and walk away. T-shirts are even eaiser for me. 15 years ago I've discovered, that having all the t-shirts the same saves me a lot of time. All of my ''everyday wear'' t-shirts are exactly the same: plain black, with no decals, no branding, no graphic desings etc., £1,50 per t-shirt.

Same here, now. Since switching my role I went from office wear to more field tech apparel - navy blue polo shirt and cargo trousers from the local corporate workwear supplier. Dry quickly, no ironing, last forever. Since Covid kicked off, I've pretty much kept wearing the same stuff all year.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:35 - 21 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

Same here, now. Since switching my role I went from office wear to more field tech apparel - navy blue polo shirt and cargo trousers from the local corporate workwear supplier. Dry quickly, no ironing, last forever. Since Covid kicked off, I've pretty much kept wearing the same stuff all year.

That gear must be mingin' by now Sick Sick Sick Sick

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Britabroad This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:00 - 21 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two ladies in my Tai Chi class who are both in their mid 60's who had hip replacements and were back practicing their form, including one-legged postures, within 3 months of the surgery.

Which goes to show there are more benefits to tai chi than simply becoming more powerful at kung fu.
Britabroad This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:50 - 21 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brexit.

Specifically where discounts could have been had by purchasing from EU retailers, but the new import fee's render it financially unviable.

Excellent.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:04 - 21 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Brexit.

Specifically where discounts could have been had by purchasing from EU retailers, but the new import fee's render it financially unviable.

Excellent.

Sounds like a success then. Presumably you had to buy whatever it was in the UK instead...

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:51 - 21 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Sounds like a success then. Presumably you had to buy whatever it was in the UK instead...

I didn't have to, no; but in the very specific case of the Rukka jacket I posted in the "last thing purchased" thread I chose to because there were benefits to me doing so (warrenty, returns possibility, marginally cheaper, faster delivery).

As for everything else I'll just wait and save my money. I have no interest in being overcharged.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 104 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 669, 670, 671 ... 696, 697, 698  Next
Page 670 of 698