Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hug Trees a little.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:48 - 01 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Can you point at one model that was created at least two decades ago and which has correctly predicted climatic changes over that period?

Huh, the answer appears to be a pick-and-mix of various vague doom-mongering from various sources, none of which are a model that correctly predicted climatic changes over at least a 20 year period up to today.

But as you know, I'm only a layman without your 40 years of academic experience, so I'm doubtless missing something.

What's the name of the model, who created it, when did they create it, and where's a list of the predictions that it made which then turned out to be correct for at least a 20 year period up to today?

The model is called global warming, it predicts a warming of the globe, and has been correct for at least half a century.

Your request for creators and names is absurd and pathetic. It's like jumping off a cliff and telling me you might not hit the ground because nobody has presented and fully verified the "Rogerborg Jumps Off A Cliff Model" yet.

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:06 - 01 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Monkeywrencher wrote:

How can it be part of the problem? Adding CO2 to the atmosphere has increased global green vegetation by 14 percent over the last 30 years (ok only about 3/4 of that is from the CO2 rise). The current situation is beneficial to green plants and we need more oxygen.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/10/the-world-is-getting-greener-why-does-no-one-want-to-know/

Nice, more green stuff, so everything is hunky-dory.

I see your one-man-and-his-bias opinion piece and raise you an article with quotes and backing from people who know actually know what they're on about: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/nov/08/global-greening-has-slowed-rise-of-co2-in-the-atmosphere-study-finds

OK, that just states the same facts from a different viewpoint, a rise in CO2 has increased green plant life the only diffrence is that guys bias slants the facts to how it's not doing enough to reduce CO2.

I'm not denying the planet is warming or what the effects may be, although lack of consistency in the predictions leaves me with doubts. What I posit is that we shouldn't be too worried about things, mass extinctions are good for the world, like forest fires they clear dead wood and allow life to flourish after. A mass extinction caused by a change in the worlds climate (particularly if it includes Humans) would be of net benefit to the planet. just let it burn man.

Also you're pretty defensive at this point, reaching MPD levels of ad hominem attack. settle down and stop calling people names, it doesn't advance your argumant or make your facts more relevant if you start the conversation by calling someone a moron.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:31 - 01 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
It's like jumping off a cliff and telling me you might not hit the ground because nobody has presented and fully verified the "Rogerborg Jumps Off A Cliff Model" yet.

When will I hit the ground? At what velocity? An actual scientist could tell me.

If I flap my arms and squawk, how much difference will it make?

Big reveal - I'm a true believer in this cult tenet: CO2 is a greenhouse gas and more of it will tend to make the earth warmer (for a spherical earth in a vacuum).

The issue is: how much? When? How much of any observed change (once we're done Correcting the numbers) is down to the Patriarchy? How big a difference will going back to caves make? What's the cost/benefit analysis for each mitigation strategy?

Since you apparently can't point at one single model that's managed to predict past changes, I'm not buying that there is one that will credibly predict the future beyond "Hotter, most likely, maybe wetter. Except the bits that are cooler, or drier. You will meet a tall dark stranger who will be significant in affairs of the heart."

If you believe differently, well, I respect your right to your faith.

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:54 - 01 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:
It's like jumping off a cliff and telling me you might not hit the ground because nobody has presented and fully verified the "Rogerborg Jumps Off A Cliff Model" yet.

When will I hit the ground? At what velocity? An actual scientist could tell me.

Big reveal - I'm a true believer in this cult tenet: CO2 is a greenhouse gas and more of it will tend to make the earth warmer (for a spherical earth in a vacuum).

The issue is: how much?

That's the rub, isn't it. The problem is you want science to be able to predict the future with complete accuracy. But that's not what science does. Science is based on the observation of the universe and forming a hypothesis based on that which is testable. That's my 'religion' as it were, confidence in the method, not necessarily complete confidence in the current theory.

Even for your falling off a cliff example, a proper scientist won't say "You'll hit the ground." He/She'll say "Based on the observed evidence, I predict you'll acclerate at roughly 9.81ms2 until you hit the ground or reach terminal velocity", because, since we started measuring things that's what objects do on earth. However, if you jumped and floated, or fell at 7ms2 the scientific community would revise the theory. That's how this thing kinda works.

Apply this to global warming. All observed evidence suggests that adding effectively an 'insulator' to the atmosphere will heat up the system by retaining a higher percentage of energy imparted from a (relatively) constant source. Simple enough.

But here's the thing. The Earth is very complex and there are loads of variables. We also have a fairly narrow data set (comparatively), covering a couple of hundred years and only what 100 with any real reliability. Using that to try and state with certainty whats going to happen to you, in 10 years, in scottishland is practically impossible.

So what can we do? Collect more data, form hypotheses, model them and then test their predictions in the real world. Then refine them. If you look at the theories over the last 30 years, they predict loads of things, all of which seemed reasonable based on the data at the time.

What is however comforting is that the theories will only get more accurate. That's what they do (for the most part).

Of course, that doesn't really answer your question. The scientific community cannot stand up today and tell you with certainty the answers to your questions (How much, When etc.).

What they can however say is, "based on the observed data we have available, our best estimate is that because of human CO2, the earth will warm more quickly than it ever has before (that we're aware of), and that because of this x,y,z are likely to become more common in our weather systems.

We have observed the effect of past CO2 additions to the system and extrapolation of those trends suggests this rate and this magnitude of future rises. We estimate that there is this much CO2 trapped here and it will be released by z, leading to these effects."

Not a very satisfying answer really, but that's what we've got.

Worth bearing in mind though that even if we don't have all the nitty gritty answers, the general trend is becoming increasingly clear and it isn't great for us.

TL:DR Based on current data I can tell you that if you smoke it will probably kill you. I can't tell you how or when. Doesn't mean you shouldn't think of quitting though.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:00 - 01 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

The issue is: how much? When? How much of any observed change (once we're done Correcting the numbers) is down to the Patriarchy? How big a difference will going back to caves make? What's the cost/benefit analysis for each mitigation strategy?

Since you apparently can't point at one single model that's managed to predict past changes, I'm not buying that there is one that will credibly predict the future beyond "Hotter, most likely, maybe wetter. Except the bits that are cooler, or drier. You will meet a tall dark stranger who will be significant in affairs of the heart."

If you believe differently, well, I respect your right to your faith.

Oh sure you can't predict with extreme accuracy. There are however perks towards action towards it. PRC leaders go out and find it's much like London of Sherlock Holmes pea soup everywhere. So they think hmm maybe we ought to do something about it ping 50-100GW solar extra per year and 2 new nuclear reactors built a year.

OTOH nuclear power plants going out of date... ah lets consult about it for a bit 20 years later they're still talking about it and you're getting brownouts.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:06 - 01 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

asta1 wrote:
The problem is you want science to be able to predict the future with complete accuracy.

Enough accuracy that we can make informed decisions about massive changes in the way that we live based on more than assumption, assertion, and a estimate.

If we don't have that accuracy - and it seems abundantly clear that we don't - then we're just pandering to the whims of hysterics and hucksters.

How much should we cripple ourselves now in order to attempt to mitigate a problem of unknown size by an unknown amount?

INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR MEANINGFUL ANSWER.

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:34 - 01 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
asta1 wrote:
The problem is you want science to be able to predict the future with complete accuracy.

Enough accuracy that we can make informed decisions about massive changes in the way that we live based on more than assumption, assertion, and a estimate.

If it helps it's a very informed estimate...

How much accuracy do you want? I can tell you with at least some certainty that by the time we have the level of detail you seem to demand as proof it'll be too late to do anything about the resulting issues anyway.

That being the case, the options appear to be:

A. Stick head in sand and hope that it'll all blow over. We'll save many dollah in the short term and there's a small chance that you're right, and this isn't an issue and CO2 won't effect global temperatures, species etc any further than it has already been demonstrated to do and we can all dance merrily into the sunset. However, that's small comfort if the general trend suggested by all current data and supported by practically the entire scientific community holds out (quite likely and getting increasingly so), and we're all 'proper fucked'.

B. Hold off on any meaningful action waiting for a perfect theory with 100 percent accuracy - great in principle, but by the time we have it, it'll be entirely too late to do anything about it anyway: Default to option A by proxy.

C. Examine current evidence, accepting it's flaws and essentially take an informed gamble. Implement changes now at a not insignificant economic cost. Worst case, we were wrong, the economy was hurt significantly, we've pushed back our rise to the stars by 100 years and we have less pollution. Best case, we literally save humanity.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trivialising the scale of the solution. It will take major changes to address this. It'll be costly, difficult and take a long time.

But do you have another option? You've mocked the suggestions of those who do this stuff for their day job, and that's fine, if you can do better. So what's your reasonable, real world suggestion for addressing this problem? Just ignore it? It's easy to say give me indisputable proof, and I understand why you'd want that, but that's not going to happen. There are very few things you can say with absolute certainty and this isn't going to be one of them anytime soon.

Ultimately you have to take a punt and watch how it falls. We did it with the hole in the ozone layer, we did it with public vaccinations and we'll do it again with this.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:44 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg doesn't understand the concept of chaos and inherent uncertainty, where probability and statistics are the only possible route to making a prediction.

His computer (with the screen he hasn't smashed yet) only works because someone somewhere said quantum tunnelling will probably happen on enough occasions with just about the right frequency for electronic conduction to happen as hoped intended on all those semiconductors under the cover. What I'm describing here is the result of Band Theory and there is no specific world-famous person ascribed to its origins or its mainstream adoption.

The climate modelling version of this type of uncertainty is turbulence and generally the statistical workarounds do a pretty good job, give or take a few Michael Fish moments. The analogous theory is Global Warming and again there is no specific world-famous person ascribed to its origins or mainstream adoption.

Rogerborg wrote:
Since you apparently can't point at one single model that's managed to predict past changes, I'm not buying that there is one that will credibly predict the future beyond "Hotter, most likely, maybe wetter. Except the bits that are cooler, or drier. You will meet a tall dark stranger who will be significant in affairs of the heart.

You missed the bit about ecosystems being rapidly and irreversibly changed at a faster rate than the planet has ever experienced. There's no single founding name or study ascribed to this either because it's common consensus with several conclusive results. I still don't understand why you're requesting some kind of explicit study where John The Scientist declares it'll rain exactly 464 drops too many on Sunday evening at quarter past ten. Quite obviously needless obfuscation. Given your desperate attempts at linking science to religion, I find it odd that you're making demands for some kind of Jesus figure.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:29 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Rogerborg doesn't understand the concept of chaos

I was just talking to him about this, and it turns out that he was actually thinking in exactly those terms, although he suspects with a somewhat different conclusion to whatever it was that you just wrote.

Lorenz says that a butterfly flaps its wings in Brazil and Texas gets a tornado.

Stroke beard, nod profoundly, dine out on it for the next 40 years.

Orrell says "Sure, if your models are shit, you sperg".

Sane person: a butterfly flaps its wings in Brazil and our models can't track the consequences, so, as you were, I guess.

Climate Justice Warrior: a butterfly burns a leaf in Brazil and in 100 years time everybody dies unless you fund my research now.

Further, he says he's very confused by the inability to point to a single model that's accurately predicted climate changes over a period of at least twenty years up to today.

He finds it baffling how anyone could put their faith in a Science that's been so comically and consistently useless for any practical purposes, and delivered nothing but failed predictions followed by assertions that the next time, the next time, they'll get it right, and then we'll be sorry.

But he accepts that Gaia moves in mysterious ways.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:21 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

He finds it baffling how anyone could put their faith in a Science that's been so comically and consistently useless for any practical purposes, and delivered nothing but failed predictions followed by assertions that the next time, the next time, they'll get it right, and then we'll be sorry.

But he accepts that Gaia moves in mysterious ways.

Come on, you're suffering mega cognitive dissonance here.

The model predicted a warming world with faster-then-ever-before alteration to ecosystems, which has been conclusively demonstrated again and again. Just not in your back garden.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:54 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
The model

Which model?

What the model's name? Who's running the model? For how long has the model been running? Where can I see the model's two decades or more of correct predictions about climate change up to today?

Can you show me that the model exists, or is it more of a concept that floats around in our hearts and souls?

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:24 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:
The model

Which model?

What the model's name? Who's running the model? For how long has the model been running? Where can I see the model's two decades or more of correct predictions about climate change up to today?

I think we've been over this, there is no "The model". There are literally thousands of papers and models being published all the time, 3,500 in 2017 alone in fact.

This is for a number of reasons:

1. It's a popular area of interest to many people
2. Most researchers focus on a very specific area, such as the effect of climate change on coral bleaching on the Great Barrier reef for instance
3. If someone did publish a single paper or model trying to cover all of global warming and it's effects, either the resolution would be so poor that it wouldn't be useful for what you want, or it would be so computing power intensive that we couldn't run it anyway.

Let me make this abundantly clear to you: NO ONE PERSON CAN POSSIBLY SPECIALIZE IN GLOBAL WARMING IN ITS ENTIRETY. Therefore there is no one man with all the answers.

However, what we can do is use this diverse data set to try and identify key trends.

There are a few:
1. Temp is increasing
2. It's happening too fast and too much to be due to natural variation (99.5% confidence in the last paper I read)
3. This has generally detrimental effects on diverse ecosystems from coral to red deer
4. A rapidly changing climate is difficult to predict in the micro scale, but generally leads to more extreme weather events
5. Hot air = melty ice = higher sea levels.

On a macro level, that's all your gonna get.

If you have a specific area of interest (and I mean properly specific, as in the remit of a research paper), I can probably find a paper on that on web of science, but to demand to see 'The model for climate change' is ridiculous.

I can probably find you an introduction to literally any paper on global warming that will detail at least 3 of the 5 points above though if that helps. I can even get one from 1997 if it floats your boat...

In fact, here's a couple:

2004 review article on some of the species at risk of extinction due (at least in part) to climate change (Covers at least 3 of my points in the Abstract)

Extinction risk from climate change

By:Thomas, CD (Thomas, CD); Cameron, A (Cameron, A); Green, RE (Green, RE); Bakkenes, M (Bakkenes, M); Beaumont, LJ (Beaumont, LJ); Collingham, YC (Collingham, YC); Erasmus, BFN (Erasmus, BFN); de Siqueira, MF (de Siqueira, MF); Grainger, A (Grainger, A); Hannah, L (Hannah, L)...More

And a fun review paper on desertification (also ticks at least 3 of the above in the abstract alone)

Accelerated dryland expansion under climate change

By:Huang, JP (Huang, Jianping)[ 1 ] ; Yu, HP (Yu, Haipeng)[ 1 ] ; Guan, XD (Guan, Xiaodan)[ 1 ] ; Wang, GY (Wang, Guoyin)[ 1 ] ; Guo, RX (Guo, Ruixia)[ 1 ]

This obsession with one person who is the font of all knowledge is very puzzling. I blame the talking heads on 'popular science' features I reckon.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:37 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

asta1 wrote:
there is no "The model".

Tish and nonsense, there must be.

Because what sort of a brass necked charlatan would demand making massive changes to the entire global economy based on predicting what the future will be like, while not being able to show a the model which predicted even the last two decades?

I can't believe that anyone so ridiculous could exist, or that they'd be given a shred of credence by any reasonable person. It just beggars even a zealot's belief.

But more importantly, Percy said there was a the model.

Does he have the model? Is he keeping the model locked away? Is the model secreted in his volcano lair?

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:42 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

But more importantly, Percy said there was a the model.

Does he have the model? Is he keeping the model locked away? Is the model secreted in his volcano lair?

If he does, his degree has paid dividends...

Anyway, I said there were many models, not no models, and that the many models could be used to make general conclusions which are valid across a range of situations. You, know, like how a model works?

The issue is we can only study local effects, but any policy basically has to be global to do any good. Tricky one.

Besides, many models> 1 model. Maffs innit.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:01 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

And every the model is accurate, even when they disagree.

Here's how I see the conversation going:

Climate Justice Warrior: EVERYONE STOP EVERYTHING NAOW.
Rationalist: Or what?
Climate Justice Warrior: Terribad things will happen.
Rationalist: How bad, precisely?
Climate Justice Warrior: Verrrrrry terribad.

Since I've been hearing the same tune with varying lyrics from the same unwashed parasitical doom shriekers for the past four decades and then some, it's rather dulled the edge of my panic.

There is no credible prediction of the future, because none of these prophets predicted the past. Yes, for every Judith Curry you have 50 grant-chasers shrieking that they know, they know: but they don't know, do they?

And sure, all "scientists" of that ilk agree now, but they all agreed in the past about glacier-triggering global cooling, and the lethality of acid rain, and the fish-frog slave revolt, whatever garnered them the most attention and money and power.

I acknowledge that a few useful idiots are drawn into it for less cycnical reasons, because they fall for the group hysteria and then only expose themselves to views that re-enforce it. I'm sure their views are sincerely held, and that they will cling to them even as the predictions of doom continue to fail again and again, decade after decade, just like there are some well intentioned die-hards who are still awaiting the glaciers, and the acid floods, and the clammy batrachian claws.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:43 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read. This. Book. Borgy.

Limits to Growth... nearly 50 years on, still accurate

That was cutting edge modeling in the day... and so far, shown to be true.

I can't get a neat enough picture on my potato phone, but a quote from the Revised Edition (2004) may interest you.

"Even in the most pessimistic [Limits to Growth 1972 (LTG)] scenario the material standard of living kept increasing all the way to 2015. Thus LTG placed the end of growth almost 50 years after the publication of the book."

You really are just singing "Lalala missing link" will vigorously masturbating on an imitation Trump hair piece.

Wink

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:27 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm strangely enjoying this thread. Don't really care who's right Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:47 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Can you tl;dr me?

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:42 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuff is happening.
Some think stuff has happened before.
Some think it hasn't.
Stuff is happening.

I'm of the mind to deal with stuff as and when it occurs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:20 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Can you tl;dr me?

Not much point. The subject matter isn't why I'm enjoying it, although I've probably wrecked it now Rolling Eyes

Beware of the troll.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:50 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Beware of the troll.

Trump is also a troll.

He now sits on the throne.

Brexit was a troll.

It now rules the state of sterling.

Do not underestimate trolls.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:58 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Beware of the troll.

Trump is also a troll.

He now sits on the throne.

Brexit was a troll.

It now rules the state of sterling.

Do not underestimate trolls.

Meh.
a) not like Rogerborg will have any effect on the issue.
b) Not like you will have any effect on the issue.
c) Not like I can have any effect on the issue.

So yeah, meh Smile

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:19 - 03 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Meh.
a) not like Rogerborg will have any effect on the issue.
c) Not like I can have any effect on the issue.

Maybe. Maybe not.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:36 - 03 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Maybe. Maybe not.

Pass the popcorn

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:35 - 03 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg's armchair opinion wrote:
I know more about this than NASA

Here's some light reading, that the layperson can follow -
https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/10/piers-sellers-climate-change-astronaut-before-the-flood-btf/

And here's this: https://skepticalscience.com/climate-models.htm

Last paragraph may be of use:

Quote:
Here, the models have understated the problem. In reality, observed sea level is tracking at the upper range of the model projections. There are other examples of models being too conservative, rather than alarmist as some portray them. All models have limits - uncertainties - for they are modelling complex systems. However, all models improve over time, and with increasing sources of real-world information such as satellites, the output of climate models can be constantly refined to increase their power and usefulness.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 226 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 8 of 16