Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cyclist charged with manslaughter

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:13 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Government figures from 2011-2015 show that eight people died from carelessly-opened car doors.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41219977

Sounds like we need mandatory registration and licensing for passengers in cars to curb this growing menace and save teh kittens

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:43 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect mpd will be along shortly to tell everyone how cyclists are to blame for being 'car doored' and how licence plates and insurance for bikes will stop this happening.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:36 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Or maybe cycles shouldn't undertake parked cars?

JUICY words there mpped. Undertake? No such thing. Overtake on the inside more like. And that sounds a little bit like 'filtering'...

You wouldn't want that liberty removed from motorcyclists would you?

Anyway, most car dooring happens when drivers open doors, not passengers. In that article, you see the story about the MP who was a passenger in a car that wasn't actually parked when he got out. So again, there are rules that could have prevented that without needing CarDoorRegistrationPlatePal (tm)
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:11 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
smelly turds

Ok, I stand corrected. To a degree. I know the word exists. It only exists in one section of the highway code (now, it's recent) and actually is referencing cycling. Where actually, it appears to legitimise the practice (actually, mpd, mate...):

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/rules-for-cyclists-road-junctions.html

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:26 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

All that says to me while riding a bike is 'take the primary position because it's safer'. And you know that white van dave behind you will immediately beep, shout abuse and close pass you, then threaten violence or use his van as a weapon.

...over...

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:45 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
duhawkz wrote:
Government figures from 2011-2015 show that eight people died from carelessly-opened car doors.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41219977

Sounds like we need mandatory registration and licensing for passengers in cars to curb this growing menace and save teh kittens

Or maybe cycles shouldn't undertake parked cars?

WTF are you going on about? How do you undertake a parked car? Eh? The first incident in that video's a narrow side street, and demonstrates the importance of the door zone... which as UnknownStuntman points out infuriates other roads users Rolling Eyes

If traffic's stationary you're filtering, just like you would on a motorbike. Any driver who opens their car door without checking their mirror's a f'ing mong, passengers have an excuse (as you normally can't see much from the passenger mirror), but then the driver should take responsibility for those exiting their vehicle.

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
I was in the wrong.

The first step to making things right, is to admit that. Well done. Clapping

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:07 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
I've had a recent near miss, where I was turning left and indicating when Lycra twat undertakes me kerbside. Apparently I was in the wrong.

I hope you were wearing leather at the time. Wub

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:21 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

Nope. The first link has the cyclist on the wrong side of the road going down a one way street.
Why was he cycling along the right hand side of a single lane? Was he just trying to be a cock to the traffic behind maybe?

I'm guessing you didn't notice the word reconstruction in the corner then? Clapping

mpd72 wrote:

You're not supposed to filter kerb side. The highway code tells you the same. Driver's side, fair enough.

I actually disagree, it can be done safely, and is often preferable to being on the right when cars start moving (I wouldn't do it to moving vehicles). You can't power away if the lights change like on a motorbike. Anyway never mind that, I'd still like to know how you think you undertake parked cars?

mpd72 wrote:
I've had a recent near miss, where I was turning left and indicating when Lycra twat undertakes me kerbside. Apparently I was in the wrong.

I've had the same happen, conversely I've had cars turn left across my path with no indication or (I'm assuming) mirror check.

Last edited by M.C on 14:23 - 11 Sep 2017; edited 1 time in total

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
You've lost me.

Ok, let me make this really simple:

1-Cyclists generally don't want to die or get injured.

2-Cyclists are people, who happen to be riding a bike. Lycra or lack thereof represents absolutely nothing in any argument against people riding bikes. Just like fatties scoffing down pies while wearing a footy team's shirt, it is simply clothing, and you need to get over this obsession.

3-Cycling as an activity is safe, clean and healthy.

4-Operating machinery of any kind carries a risk. The more energy that machinery deals with, the higher the risk. Certain machinery has proved to be so difficult to operate safely, a registration and licensing system has been created to ensure operators know what they're doing and can be identified when things don't go as expected. This system is not flawless and can be circumvented easily.

5-There are rules for operating machinery. Stick to them, and you'll be fine.

Now read point 2 again.

One more time, for good luck.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:36 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
M.C wrote:

I'm guessing you didn't notice the word reconstruction in the corner then? Clapping

Hang on a minute Sherlock. You were using it as proof to demonstrate a point a few minutes ago. Whooosh, more back pedalling. Wink

Shocked

What? I said it was an example of the door zone, you're the one analysing it like it's real, and coming up with some tripe about undertaking parked cars. Care to explain that one (third time I've asked you)?

handbasket
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:42 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

An example where the cyclist was on the wrong side of the road.

Anyone going to explain it to him, or shall we just let him continue digging?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:51 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
An example where the cyclist was on the wrong side of the road.

You might have noticed the rest of the video went onto a dutch lady who was struck by what would have been the driver getting out. Even by your standards you're being extremely retarded.

mpd72 wrote:
If a car is parked up against the kerb and the passenger gets out of the nearside of the car, the cyclist has to be undertaking the car to be struck.

Do you even read back the shite you write? How the f**k is a bicycle going to be squeezing between a car and the kerb if it's parked up?

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:07 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

mpd72 wrote:
If a car is parked up against the kerb and the passenger gets out of the nearside of the car, the cyclist has to be undertaking the car to be struck.

Do you even read back the shite you write? How the f**k is a bicycle going to be squeezing between a car and the kerb if it's parked up?

Full retard Shocked

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:03 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it must happen very occasionally but I think it's quite rare compared to doors on the drivers side of parked cars being opened in front of cyclists.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 272 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 10 of 17