Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Coronavirus -archive

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 92, 93, 94 ... 170, 171, 172  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:06 - 05 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

So rules and restrictions aren't working. What now?

And there in lies the problem.

2nd Lockdown & the Government gets fucked over.
Relax the rules and let everyone get on with life or death & the Government gets fucked over.

Who would want to be in power and have to make the decisions.

Perhaps Boris would be best to place the 2 options to Parliament and let them all vote on it. That way none of the other parties can complain about how it is managed. Laughing

Joe Public has the power to make the decision easy. But sadly too many idiots who give no shits.

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:31 - 05 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at almost any European country, while most are seeing the dreaded second wave, none have fucked up as comprehensively or as deliberately as the UK

Boris & co not closing the airports at the start, not testing or quarantining the 22 million people who arrived in the UK between March & April.On top of the farcical test & trace, failed app, inadequate testing capacity and performance, confusing constantly changing diktats which were not actually diktats but "advice" that many ignored, need I go on.

I'm in a country that closed its borders, (and quarantined repatriates at government expense) where test and trace is public sector delivered and effective, where for weeks and weeks we were subject to night curfew and only allowed out of our house in the daytime once per day for food (then only after government permission had been applied for and received by text). Bars, clubs, non essential retail closed. For a while we weren't even allowed to go more than 200m from our house without permission.

The virus was all but eradicated, and now that some tourists are allowed in, we are having our "second wave" - but only 10-15 cases per day from contact tracing where someone tests positive.

Oh yes, and to kickstart the bruised economy, we are getting a €1billion non repayable grant from the EU. Maybe the UK could apply.

Oh......wait...... Rolling Eyes

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:38 - 05 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Population of Cyprus 1.189 million.

Population of the UK: 67.886 million.

Population of Cyprus' main city, Nicosia: 200,250.

Population of UK's main city, London: 9.3 million.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 05 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I expected that Mr Strip.

The fact the UK is bigger doesn’t explain why the following couldn’t have been done

Reduce incoming travellers to repatriation only
Quarantine all incoming travellers
Curfew
No discretion for people as to how many times or how far they can travel
Effective t&t
Ramp up testing capacity

In a nutshell, hardline short term efforts to control the spread of the virus.

As a footnote, although Boris describes us Brits as “freedom loving” it’s hard to find people as anarchic, self-interested and rule-bending as Cypriots (these are compliments not insults by the way). They don’t queue, observe traffic lights or drive between the white lines on the road!

Nevertheless the rules were largely observed here and for weeks and weeks we had no new cases. Then the tourists came.......but that’s another story.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:39 - 05 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Johnson has handled this far from ideally. But I really don't think anyone else could have done it much better. His worst sin is poor communication to the public imo. But I also wonder if he is getting the best advice. I don't expect any politician to be an expert at handling such a scenario, and they also have to balance medical and health advice with trying not to completely destroy the economy, and other concerns that those advisors do not have to think about.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:54 - 05 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking

He only needed to look across the channel. Italy and Spain etc had a head start. He didn’t need a crystal ball, it was playing out before everyone’s eyes. But no, euw to the EU Rolling Eyes

I’m raging at it all. We’re very fortunate to be where we are but I want to come home. I want to see my daughters, my Mum, my siblings.

Sadly it looks as though that possibility is months away Crying or Very sad

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:05 - 05 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:
Thinking

He only needed to look across the channel. Italy and Spain etc had a head start. He didn’t need a crystal ball, it was playing out before everyone’s eyes. But no, euw to the EU Rolling Eyes

Sorry, I don't buy that it was a Middle Finger to the EU. He wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes with that attitude, and you know I'm a staunch Brexiteer. Keir Starmer has agreed with almost every measure he has introduced - until later when he changes his mind Rolling Eyes

Quote:
I’m raging at it all. We’re very fortunate to be where we are but I want to come home. I want to see my daughters, my Mum, my siblings.

Sadly it looks as though that possibility is months away Crying or Very sad

I am genuinely sad for you and all in your position, you have my sincerest sympathies. We can all only hope that things will improve. I think they will before too long.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:10 - 05 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only need look here - https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ - and select cases per million to see we're about 50th with several EU countries way worse.

Deaths don't look so good but we do have an elderly and overweight population also good uptake of flu vaccine so plenty will have died of CV who might have died of that in the past five years.

It's not particularly surprising that politicians of all kinds are not able to control viruses whatever they like to claim.

Countries that appeared to do well early like CZ are having a bad time now.

In a couple of years time you probably won't see much difference if the same counting methods are used.
Look now and countries with strictest measures such as Spain and Peru are top of the list.

Places doing well have the lowest average age Vietnam is a good example but China too probably explains why they have come out of it suspiciously unscathed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:18 - 05 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
but China too probably explains why they have come out of it suspiciously unscathed.

Suspicious...you got that right! I don't trust their figures, nor do I trust that I would ever know what is actually going on there with something like this. The fact that we have done a lot of trading with them doesn't change the equally valid fact that they are an authoritarian communist regime with strict controls on what they tell their own public and the world at large.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:16 - 05 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, and to kickstart the bruised economy, we are getting a €1billion non repayable grant from the EU. Maybe the UK could apply.

I really couldn't see us getting that even if we were still in the EU.

Anyway, I still hold to my zero tolerance principle. Cummings should have been hung out to dry, and now we're seeing MP's repeating his example. How has that SNP MP not resigned? Just a suspension? Jeez.

I didn't realise but apparently Corbyn has also recently been caught breaking the rules.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 05 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:

I really couldn't see us getting that even if we were still in the EU.

Anyway, I still hold to my zero tolerance principle. Cummings should have been hung out to dry, and now we're seeing MP's repeating his example. How has that SNP MP not resigned? Just a suspension? Jeez.

I didn't realise but apparently Corbyn has also recently been caught breaking the rules.

Not to mention Johnson's dad for the third time...

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 05 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jurgen Klopp has been fined for breaking Covid house rules.

Apparently yesterday he let seven in.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:31 - 06 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

They get away with it coz it's a nonsense, confusingly wasteful exercise to control a virus that way.

The virus is at large 24/7.
It's not off-duty during daylight hours and only active at night.
How is it possible to maintain a 2m distance 100% of the time when among the public?

We are social animals and instinctively gather in groups. Our heads are wired for that. Our genes makes do it.
Avoiding others, personal hygiene and other gov recommendations are things we all need to learn.
We make mistakes.

The rules are sort of, 'Right, if everyone can please keep to the rules then that would be great thanks.

So MPs flout about. But we all know that MPs are corrupt AF for most anything else. 🙄

She should still resign, if she stays in her seat then anyone else has carte Blanche to do the same and site her behavior as defence.

(Anyway, I wouldn't like a bite off of her. 😲)

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:41 - 06 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in a country that closed its borders, (and quarantined repatriates at government expense) where test and trace is public sector delivered and effective, where for weeks and weeks we were subject to night curfew and only allowed out of our house in the daytime once per day for food (then only after government permission had been applied for and received by text). Bars, clubs, non essential retail closed. For a while we weren't even allowed to go more than 200m from our house without permission.

When I was younger I used to make sand barriers on the beach to keep the sea from washing out my castle. C-19 is here to stay, it can possibly be controlled, to an extent, but eradicated? That will take a vaccine and decades of planning - smallpox took about 200 years.

In the UK's case the EU was always a case of getting back less that was put in (in monetary terms at least - other benefits are still the subject of much debate) . Only those member states considered disadvantaged by the EU bureaucrats get the net benefits.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:54 - 06 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

we are getting a €1billion non repayable grant from the EU.

Interesting. Source?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:28 - 06 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EU's post-pandemic recovery fund is part of a seven year budget for 2021 to 2027.

Have a look on Google for EU recovery plan and budget. https://www.google.com/search?q=EU+recovery+plan+and+budget

Non repayable grants have to be paid for or paid back by someone. Laughing

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 06 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
It's not off-duty during daylight hours and only active at night.

VampirePal.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:44 - 06 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lend us a fiver Smile

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:26 - 07 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for a company that deals with covid test centres. Today I visited the one in Clifton and by fuck I can’t believe what I’ve seen. People going there to be tested, walking out after being tested then crossing the road and going into shops. Not one or 2 but literally dozens.

The biscuit was taken by the group of students who after being tested went and splashed around in the fountain. Seriously you utter wankers. If you have covid symptoms fuck off home and isolate until you get your results.

I for one don’t give a shit if you die from it. But for fucks sake try not to pass it on to others.

Common fucking sense.

Grrrrrrr
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:09 - 07 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's happened to your website https://www.r***pal.fail.?

It says it's still under construction

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:48 - 07 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
What's happened to your website https://www.r***pal.fail.?

It says it's still under construction

It got cansa, law suits, death threats and dirty midnight phone calls from a man exclaiming he wasnt a grown man.

So much like rainpal it will spend the next 400 years under construction.

Scotsrick
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 07:09 - 09 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Interesting. Source?

With furlough so far costing an estimated £35 billion even if we got it it’s not exactly going to make a big difference.

That’s not even counting the billions spent elsewhere.

This is costing us big and it’ll take decades to sort out.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:02 - 09 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trump promises seniors the same coronavirus 'cure' drugs he got for free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHXOk853SF4

"Officials in the Trump administration are scrambling to deliver on an $8 billion promise President Donald Trump made to seniors to provide them with $200 prescription drug cash cards before Election Day, which critics are hitting as a “legally dubious scheme” that’s intended to sway voters."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danielcassady/2020/10/08/trump-administration-scrambles-to-get-prescription-drug-cash-cards-to-berties-before-election-day/

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:16 - 11 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Nicola.
https://m.facebook.com/danwootton/videos/2752247704884863/

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:37 - 11 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Cringe
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 250 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 92, 93, 94 ... 170, 171, 172  Next
Page 93 of 172