Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Forced to go cold turkey in prison

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 16:00 - 14 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Knight wrote:

What I do disagree with is the financial benefit to them. I wonder if they would have gone through with it if there wasn't a few quid in it. When I say they I man both the prisoners and the bigger criminals the solicitors.

I would have prefered to see the £750,000 go towards setting up methadone clinics in the prisons or some form of healthcare, after all, thats what they were campaining for.

My feelings exactly!

The money that they have been offered will go straight to fuelling their drug habit by buying from illicit vendors.

The cost of running substance misuse services is immense, and the different types of methodone are expensive and can often be difficult to prescribe (probably one of the reasons it wasn't offered in prison, controlled drugs have to be managed very carefully).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Teaman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:20 - 14 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

froggeh wrote:
headlamp wrote:
'Sub-Human' was probably not the right expression...but do you not except that if someone steals, commits fraud, robs, assaults or murders they should not have the same access to human rights as those people who choose to live within the law?

They don't... they have their freedom removed.

sorry has to be said,
so someone who shoplifts for food due to the fact that they were rather hungry and living in a doorway of woolworths but paying for there drug habbit through sellling the big issue doesnt deserve rights as a human?

we have basic human rights, every one is entitled to that and you cant have a system of law where the punnishment of a person includes commiting a crime to punnish them.

I think alot of the time people fail to see the full picture and form an oppinion that is flawed. It would be interesting seeing some people live within the rules they believe should be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:57 - 14 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaman wrote:

so someone who shoplifts......doesnt deserve rights as a human?

As far as the shoplifter's rights to 'freedom', then the law says they don't.

Were it a shopkeeper of a small shop who works 12 hour days to provide for his family, he'd probably very much agree with those aspects of the law.

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 19:54 - 14 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who deals with incarcerated people every day, both criminal and merely immigration-related, I have to say that both Siggi and Froggeh are talking a lot of sense.

I identify totally with those who decry this payment as a betrayal of the law abiding population, and those who want punishment to be harsh and unyielding, but the reality is that society has to accept these people back into the fold once their time is up, and as someone once said "the way a society treats its vulnerable members is a reflection of its social health and conscience." For all the malice and unpleasantness of their crimes, prisoners are often intensely vulnerable people, and having had their freedom taken away, measures are required to protect THEM as well as us. There are countless stories that one hears about people finding themselves in prison having once led blameless Guardian-reading lives, so if nothing else, just wonder how you would want an acquaintance of yours to be treated if they ever sunk to that level.

"Do unto others...." and all that.

There is also the enforcement aspect of it. Treating people like cack 24/7 is fine if you have them all imprisoned on a penal planet in another galaxy, but not so smart for establishments on Earth which have to be run by fellow humans. I cannot even begin to calculate the extra manpower that would be required to keep a lid on UK prisons even if you just took away Playstations and TV's from Enhanced cons. Anyone who says that prisoners should get a big portion of Fuck-All has obviously never worked dishing out HM's pleasure, and should be first in the queue to volunteer to help out if they think it's that easy!

stinkwheel wrote:
Well, flying in the face of popular oppinion. I would count taking someone with a long standing opiate habit straight off them as 'cruel and unusual' punishment.

It is physiologically addictive. That means your body becomes dependant on it, it's not just 'in your head'. You can actually kill someone by stopping their opiates abruptly.

In essence, it is a form of torture.

I believe it is almost unheard of for someone to die from going cold turkey, at least directly. Alcoholism on the other hand.......

Otherwise, I agree with your point that it isn't quite cricket, although I believe the case was simply an argument over what constitutes a reasonable timescale for weaning people off. The government is obviously going to want to reduce that as much as possible due to the costs so astutely pointed out by the charming Annabella.

Quote:

Ask any doctor, you do not just suddenly stop taking opiates after a long standing addiction, certainly not without close medical supervision and support.

In well-run establishments, this support would be in place, especially as junkies (esp. clucking ones) are often considered a self-harm risk and closely monitored. Again, it comes down to a matter of what period of time it happens over, easy enough to find a doctor or medical report to support almost any point of view.

Quote:

Maybe too sensible (or expensive?) but how's this for an idea? If you go into jail with a drug habit, you can sign up for a rehab program. If you stick to it and sucessfully come off drugs, you qualify for early release on the understanding that you get a piss test every week for the next two years. You spend two years clean, you're home free. You fail even one test, you're straight back inside for the rest of your sentance.

There are schemes similar to this in place (indeed, Drug Testing and Treatment sentences much like the above are often given in place of prison time or community service) but it once again comes down to availability and cost. The little grey fellas behind desks don't seem to get it into their heads that in the long run, splashing a bit of cash at rehabilitation will save a packet compared with the enormous cost to society of repeat offending.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 20:28 - 14 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siggi wrote:
In all my time in various hell-holes, subjecting addicts to cold-turkey, on the regular wings, was completely standard procedure. And put into the same cell as regular non-addicted cons quite often, even when said con had enough and first said he'd kick the crap out of the addict if he wasn't moved, then did so when he wasn't.

Quite cowardly really, if someone really deserves a shoeing, have the balls to engineer a situation where you do it yourself!

That aside, hardly fair on the poor sod who puts him on his arse either, a bleating clucker is not something to be stuck in a confined space with, nor is the ensuing loss of IEP goodies something to be treasured.

It doesn't surprise me that the above has happened and does happen, but even ignoring the moral imperative to avoid such behaviour, it simply isn't in anyone's best interest, let alone the addict's.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Liam_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:02 - 14 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

well their you have it folks, crime pays.
next time i'm skint i'll mug a granny for some cash, do some time, pretend to go cold turkey, walk out cash in hand. sweet Thumbs Up

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek

PostPosted: 22:17 - 14 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

UrbanRacer wrote:
next time i'm skint i'll mug a granny for some cash, do some time, pretend to go cold turkey, walk out cash in hand. sweet Thumbs Up

Too right.

I'm sorry, but you lot can't possibly mean some of what you are saying. If someone commits a crime, they should be punished to the full extent, as in proper punishment, none of this PS2 and comfy bed stuff. Maybe a small walkman, few tapes etc. If they are addicted to something before they come in, and being inside means they have to come off it, TOUGH! I couldn't give two flying ballsacks if they die whilst coming off it, shouldn't have tried it in the first place.

I wouldn't hold this viewpoint if I didn't think that me, keeping my nose clean, keeping myself to myself and behaving, wasn't being demeaned by bank robbers and miscreants being treated better than me for being a criminal. If they took it upon themselves to do the crime, they should do the time. I'm not talking downloading music, or going 2 mph over the speed limit, I'm talking drug dealers who get kiddies addicted, people who kill, maim and steal.

I don't get to, so why should they?

Please, nobody quote this and reply, as it is not an argument, it is a statement of what I believe, and I will not reply.

Personally, I think the U.K has alot better uses for £750,000, like healthcare for those who need it, and for people who prevent crime from happening in the first place.

froggeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:12 - 15 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

UrbanRacer wrote:

Nobody like the fact they were paid, but perhaps the system will get better as a result...although I'm not holding my breath

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 13:54 - 15 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then these poor sods have to go cold turkey by law...

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/15112006/344/council-ban-cigarette-breaks.html

its truly a fukked up system isnt it?

LondonBiker
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:23 - 15 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a joke?

I need to get the fck out of here...

msgander
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:16 - 16 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Every case on it's own merits. Child rapists/murderers, where proven to be guilty beyond all doubt, should be straight-jacketed in a padded cell for the rest of their entire lives, having first been blinded.

Nope, if proven beyond ALL DOUBT, kill em all, why the fuck should people that work for a living and get taxed to fuck pay for these tossers/tossettes to live! - exist even? I am all for punishment for them, let them rot and suffer etc, but would rather see them hung and have more money in my pocket!

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:19 - 16 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

LondonBiker wrote:
Is this a joke?

I need to get the fck out of here...

Agreed, get the hell out of this god forsaken shit hole that we live in Sharpish.

It gets worse each day.

Liam_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:31 - 16 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The inmates have taken over the asylum, head for the exits."

msgander
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:19 - 17 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why don't you fuck off to Iran then? They run their society like a bunch of degenerate medievil dogs, sounds like it'd be right up your alley.

yawns...... Rolling Eyes

froggeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:24 - 18 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm voting for Stick for the wittiest comeback of the year award so far... Razz

(sorry Stick - it had to be said)

steveh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:53 - 18 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

dish out a load of syringes to all the druggies, tell them its heroin and watch them kill them selfs by lethal injection.

seriosly why would anyone pay someone for doing somthing illegal in prison whilst being in there for somthing more illegal or possibly the very same.

some people need to be taken out and shot.

froggeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:57 - 18 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveh wrote:
dish out a load of syringes to all the druggies, tell them its heroin and watch them kill them selfs by lethal injection.

seriosly why would anyone pay someone for doing somthing illegal in prison whilst being in there for somthing more illegal or possibly the very same.

some people need to be taken out and shot.

You really ought to move to Saudi Arabia... They would probably agree with you.
Here in the UK we tend to be a touch more civilized - that is at least one thing we have that is still 'Great'

Steve_k
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:22 - 18 Nov 2006    Post subject: prison Reply with quote

When the prisons become a deterent then crime will drop they should work a 12 hour day for nothing 6 days a week until they have done thier time no time off for good behavior just time added for bad behavior. The uk is going through a massive problem with landfill and recycling why not get the prisoners sorting the rubish out instead of playing pool and looking for ways to get compensation out of the rest of us. The moto for the new scheme could be The crap sorting the crap.
When a criminal has done a couple of years hard labour he might just think about it before he comits more crimes.
The current softly softly system is not working.

Steve_k
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:58 - 18 Nov 2006    Post subject: prisons Reply with quote

We have already created an army of monsters thats why crime is up so much that the prisons are full, the criminals are not bothered if they get a sentence in the soft prison system. If the criminals were frightend of going back to prison then prison would be a deterent until then prison does not work.

froggeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:09 - 18 Nov 2006    Post subject: Re: prisons Reply with quote

Steve_k wrote:
We have already created an army of monsters thats why crime is up so much that the prisons are full, the criminals are not bothered if they get a sentence in the soft prison system. If the criminals were frightend of going back to prison then prison would be a deterent until then prison does not work.

Making prison very harsh probably would deter some ciminals, but what do you get when the ones who do still commit the crimes, come out?

Unless you can educate someone, to be part of the community,to belong and feel they can contribute, then what you get is someone who won't be able to get along any other way. If you're trapped in a corner then it doesn't matter what deterent there is, coz you'll only have one way to go.

Steve_k
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:29 - 18 Nov 2006    Post subject: Prisons Reply with quote

So whats the answer Siggi the current system is not working the criminals are just laughing at the police courts and sentencing and the law abiding people are suffering is the answer just take the law into our own hands.

Steve_k
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:00 - 18 Nov 2006    Post subject: Prisons Reply with quote

Yes we are over taxed we all dont comit crimes so its not tax.
Working conditions are better now than ever most of the repeat offenders dont work so working conditions dont effect them so its not working conditions.
We all have bills to pay so we budget our money to pay our bills not everyone who gets a gas bill use this as an excuse to comit crimes so its not the bills.
Some people are so scared they wont go out at night due to the criminals they lock themselves in the house on a night is this the way these people should live?

Every criminal has a choice the victim does not so why should the criminal have it easy in prison?

If there was a genuine deterent they would stop comiting crime at the moment prison is not.

So Siggy what should we do about the ever increaseing crime?

Steve_k
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:53 - 18 Nov 2006    Post subject: Prisons Reply with quote

The guys in prison are criminals not people who stand up for themselves

Burglary, mugging, robbery, car theft etc are not standing up against the system they are crimes against the public not the goverment.

Most peole work and save for the things they want in life these criminals just take they dont care who they are taking from so why do people defend them when they get locked up if they dont want to work good on them dont work but dont take things from other people who have worked hard for.

This criminals think they have the right to comit crime and not be punished they think they should be nursed through life because they have it hard but what about the victims of their crimes surely they have it harder. The criminal has a choice they picked crime it was their choice nobody elses.

Steve_k
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:26 - 18 Nov 2006    Post subject: Prisons Reply with quote

No I dont please explain.

Saudi Arabia the punishment for theft is your hand cut off this is a bit harsh but the open markets have gold on show and its not stolen why is this?

Its called a real deterent.

When schools had the cane pupils had respect for the teachers now no cane no respect.

See the comon link to stop crime you need a deterent.

The uk has been soft on criminals for to long and the figure show it does not work.

Its time to try something different.

Steve_k
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:15 - 18 Nov 2006    Post subject: Prisons Reply with quote

So a deprived criminal who does not want to work to buy a nice bike has seen a nice bike like yours or mine parked up outside a factory, office or shop its ok for him to steal it while the owner is working in the building just because the owner has got on with his life and is doing better than the criminal.

If some poor deprived criminal stole your bike and you caught him you would let him keep it give him your last bit of money and your mobile phone so he wasnt deprived bless your all heart.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 191 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4