Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Zimma
Wheelie Junkie

PostPosted: 12:26 - 17 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

dainesefreak wrote:
The Storm is a better real world bike

Couldn't have put it better myself. Yeah the R6 maybe a really good tracktool, but the 'storm is a million times better on the road.

andrew
Mister Road Rage

PostPosted: 12:28 - 17 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well actually meat head i think my post was rather honest, and seeing as i *own* the bike he's asking about i think im more suited to answering his question than you , although probably not cos i sit there polishing it all day eh? Rolling Eyes

Oh and despite what you say it will eat an R6 on the road, well an R6 with standard gearing at least. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 12:30 - 17 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

R6 is sexier looking Razz

i never found the R6 uncomfortable, especially not for distance, but came off a much more ickle bike

only in town it made your wrists throb quite badly

i'd agree with the storm being a better roadbike thing

its still a lazy bike though Razz might as well be an automatic gear box Razz

[edit] having said that, ford mustangs have automatic gearboxes, so i guess that was a silly kind of insult Razz
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

Last edited by WildGoose on 12:31 - 17 Oct 2003; edited 1 time in total

andrew
Mister Road Rage

PostPosted: 12:31 - 17 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

By lazy you mean pulls from any gear no matter what revs your at and doesnt require constant gear box bashing? Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 12:32 - 17 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

...yes Razz
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

andrew
Mister Road Rage

PostPosted: 12:33 - 17 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing For that money its pretty reasonable although what is the mileage cos if its near the major service then that can be quite expensive unless you know someone who will do it on the cheap.

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 12:38 - 17 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew wrote:
Well actually meat head i think my post was rather honest, and seeing as i *own* the bike he's asking about i think im more suited to answering his question than you , although probably not cos i sit there polishing it all day eh? Rolling Eyes

Oh and despite what you say it will eat an R6 on the road, well an R6 with standard gearing at least. Razz

Whatever you say Phil Razz You're not biased cuz you ride a Storm, honest Wink

andrew
Mister Road Rage

PostPosted: 12:42 - 17 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest i couldnt care if he buys a dust cart *cough* blade *cough* to ride about on. Smile

I rode alex's r6 when it had standard gearing and to be fair it wouldnt keep up with the storm on the roads. On the twisties is one thing but on a day to day basis on the roads most of us use to get to work and around our local area etc then the r6 wouldnt be as quick. And if someone was offering him an r6 for a reasonable price then i'd take it. Actually why dont you just give your bike to alex and some cash then you can get an R6 Laughing

Stew
If it's good enough for top race teams...

PostPosted: 12:42 - 17 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, and now the argument begins......again. Rolling Eyes

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 12:43 - 17 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't wanna shitty R6, I have a Fireblade, one of the most popular bikes on the planet Razz

andrew
Mister Road Rage

PostPosted: 12:45 - 17 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasnt telling you to get an R6 god damnit, i was telling dodd to get Alex's one. ROFL at most popular bike on the planet. AOL are the most popular ISP on the planet does that make them good? Razz

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 12:50 - 17 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew wrote:
I wasnt telling you to get an R6 god damnit, i was telling dodd to get Alex's one. ROFL at most popular bike on the planet. AOL are the most popular ISP on the planet does that make them good? Razz

Laughing

Deano
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 17 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Doesn't do trackdays as well as an R6 and the R6 is more comfortable/easier to ride for long distances than you'd expect.

Yeah but not as comfy as the storm though. I'd surprised if dodd has alot of trackday in mind for the bike either.

MarJay wrote:
Not easier than a downgeared R6 like *ahem* Dusty's
Hmm if you downgeared the storm I wonder what would happen Rolling Eyes Wink

Marjay wrote:
Easier to ride in terms of laziness but if you're used to a GS500E then you'd probably be better off with an inline 4 because V twin power delivery is quite sharp at the bottom end. Whereas you can ride the R6 slowly and go loony later with its 10,000 rpm kick
You can only use the peak power properly on a track. in the real world you recieve more benefits from the v-twin.

MarJay wrote:

Erm, the 'storm has the same tyre sizes as the R6 (give or take) it just depends on how sticky you want 'em. Servicing etc won't be too much different and the 'storm will munch chains and sprockets with its fiery delivery.
The R6 is more powerful overall and its fuel consumption is obviously better. And its cooler! The handling is far superior too.
What about things like fairing if you drop of have a spill then its £££ to bring it back to how it was. The storm is also not as highly tuned as the R6 so the engine will be more reliable. Maintenance jobs on the bike should be easier to perform yourself and the fact that it has only 2 cylinders means less money is needed to spent n parts.

And I'm surprised you haven't tried to convince Dodd to get a Daytone 6 Very Happy Wink
Dean Stone #777
EMRA 2012 final standings, Formula 600s 3rd, Superstock 600s 3rd.
www.triplesevenracing.co.uk: www.ljmotorcyclerepairs.co.uk www.gettaylored.co.uk BN RaceScience, Now officially run out of money to carry on racing Sad

andrew
Mister Road Rage

PostPosted: 12:57 - 17 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chains and sprockets dont go that often, ive done thousands of miles on mine and its still got plenty of miles left in it. Its the same one that was on the bike when i got it. If you oil it often enough it will last you ages also with tyres ive gone through 3 rears since i got it and 2 fronts, ive done 11k in about a year. Kornel is still on his original chain along with richard.

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 13:22 - 17 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zimma wrote:
dainesefreak wrote:
The Storm is a better real world bike

Couldn't have put it better myself. Yeah the R6 maybe a really good tracktool, but the 'storm is a million times better on the road.

Yeah, maybe in a world where the oceans consist of crude oil instead of water. Razz

The Storm is definately much better for all-round riding and doesn't make you look as though you're always looking for a race.

Basically, get some proper insurance quotes, and if they're affordable then go for it (assuming that you enjoy the test ride Wink). I'll say it again though - £2500 for a 98 Storm isn't that much of a bargain (it's not bad though), especially at this time of year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

andrew
Mister Road Rage

PostPosted: 13:24 - 17 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

He'll never look back once he's had a test ride Smile

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 13:28 - 17 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew wrote:
He'll never look back once he's had a test ride Smile

Of course he will.
"Shit, just missed that bloody petrol station, better turn round as there's not another one for about 15 miles" Wink

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:24 - 17 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's a matter of mechanics, I've never heard of any serious problems on the R6 even though it's a "Tuned" engine or any of the big jap four for that matter. I still think it comes down to looks a lot of the time. If you love the way something looks and the perception you have of it, you will put up with most things, like comfort, fuel economy, etc and love it. Well that's the only the only possible reason I can imagine anyone spending all that cash on a Ducati anyway and for the thrill of the few minutes it all works!! Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:33 - 17 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh oh, the firestorm vs inline 4 discussion again Neutral

Dodd, go test ride it, and the other bikes you're considering. Decide then.

Dru, I answered his questions without taking the piss outta the storm, and answered them correctly. so Razz

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:35 - 17 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew wrote:

I rode alex's r6 when it had standard gearing and to be fair it wouldnt keep up with the storm on the roads. On the twisties is one thing but on a day to day basis on the roads most of us use to get to work and around our local area etc then the r6 wouldnt be as quick.

I don't think the issue is that the storm would be faster in everyday riding... but that it's easier to go fast on it. While you can turn the throttle on the storm, you may have to knock it down a gear on the 6 to maximum power.
Remember though that the r6 has a fair bit better brakes etc, which do help you to be 'fast'.
Personally I prefer 4's because I find twins power delivery a bit boring, but that's just me. Personally I'd get the r6 out of the two... but given the choice I'd go for something like the zx6... which I did Smile.

However if you really need more than 100hp to get to work 'fast'* then you probably want to make sure you got decent life insurance Smile

*Please ignore the fact I have used a 140hp downgeared bike to get to work at some points.

Deano
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:06 - 17 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

dainesefreak wrote:
I don't think it's a matter of mechanics, I've never heard of any serious problems on the R6 even though it's a "Tuned" engine or any of the big jap four for that matter.

I was under the impression that Twins are the most reliable configuration. The R6 engine will be under more stress. You may of not of heard of major problems with any r6s now but don't forget they are not exactly an old model of bike. R6's have to be abused to reap the benefits and storms don't.
Dean Stone #777
www.triplesevenracing.co.uk: www.ljmotorcyclerepairs.co.uk www.gettaylored.co.uk BN RaceScience, Now officially run out of money to carry on racing Sad

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 15:12 - 17 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deano wrote:
I was under the impression that Twins are the most reliable configuration.

That's a new one on me Confused.

Deano
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 17 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

maurice wrote:
Deano wrote:
I was under the impression that Twins are the most reliable configuration.

That's a new one on me Confused.

Yeah I've been told by a few people but I never said that it definately was correct.
Dean Stone #777

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 15:16 - 17 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know for a fact a 2-stroke v-twin is not the most reliable configuration Laughing.

Deano
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:20 - 17 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

maurice wrote:
I know for a fact a 2-stroke v-twin is not the most reliable configuration Laughing.

A bit different from a 4 stroke V-twin though.
Don't forget twins don't produce as much revs as 4's so the engine will be under less stress. they usally redline at 12 or 11 thou I think.
Dean Stone #777
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 248 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3